Leg cramps

Options
I'm having a problem with my calves cramping when I try to go for walks.

I have around a hundred pounds to lose. I steadily gained the extra weight over a few years but didn't stop walking (thank goodness for my dog!), then I started a new medication that made me totally balloon over a period of two months. At the same time I pretty much stopped going for walks because of my agoraphobia (I have PTSD).

Now I'm getting the problem under control, but I'm having this issue with my calves. Has anyone gone through this? I don't know if it's just because of all the extra weight or if it's something to be concerned about. I'm still forcing myself to go for walks, but it's very painful and I have to take frequent rests. It's very frustrating.

Replies

• RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Could it be your medication? You may want to check for cramps or other side effects that may lead to cramps.

I have heard one possible cause of cramps is thought to be a sign of nutrient deficiency such as deficiency in potassium, magnesium or calcium. I have also read that dehydration maybe a cause or that you need to stretch after you have warmed up. You can try electrolyte waters as well but I make my own by adding about 1/8th tsp of salt to 1 cup of water. The salt helps your body hold water better.

My legs get cramps at night when I first start exercising so I've been reading about cramps myself. Pickle juice has always helped stop a cramp and it's been actually studied to have actually worked. It's thought that the shock of the taste of pickle juice may be enough to relax the nerves that are bunching up the muscles.
  • cambridgestylist
    cambridgestylist Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying.

I did check to see if the medication could be the cause, out of about a million side effects, cramping is not one of them. So that is out. As far as sodium goes, I actually go over on my sodium intake pretty much everyday as I eat soup for my lunch.

I might just be really out of shape. I hope it resolves soon, walking is my exercise for now because my endurance for cardio is so low at this point. I wouldn't even bother going to the gym right now, to be honest. I doubt I would even make it fifteen minutes on an elliptical or a bike. I hate those machines anyway!
  • Beth150Ann
    Beth150Ann Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would check with your dr - to rule out anything major. I've also been having leg cramps and foot cramps. Very painful. I think because I stopped exercising and was spending way too much time at work. The dr gave me a foot brace which was an absolute life saver for nighttime foot cramps and he recommended stretching before and after exercise. He also discovered that I now have flat feet! I have no idea when that happened-another present from old age
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There are lots of possible variables...Does this happen only when you walk? After how long of walking? How long has this been happening? Are these really calf cramps--tightness/spasms in the back of the lower leg--or possibly shin splints (pain in front of lower leg) or another type of pain? Are you wearing different shoes since it started?

If it's truly calf cramps that appear, for example, after 10 minutes of walking, then walk only 10 minutes at a time, but do it several times a day. I think you'll be able to build up your distance. You could try some light mobilization exercises in between several times a day and before starting, like ankle circles and calf raises. It's ok to take rests. When I started at 150 lbs overweight, I could barely walk 5-10 minutes before I had to rest due to foot, leg, and hip pain. I gradually built up and in less than a year could walk at least 10K with no rest and no pain. Obviously as I lost weight and gained strength, it all became much easier.

My other concern would be that it's some other type of pain, for example, blood clots can cause leg pain, so you might want to consider getting it checked out.

Don't stress about getting to the gym or how long you can last. At your current weight, walking is the best thing and many of us started that way. I also would encourage you to do some strength training so you retain muscle as you lose. You can start at home with a resistance band.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My friend had severe leg cramping one day. She went to a clinic where they said magnesium deficiency, gave her a Mg shot and directions to CVS, and she was golden. I've found that a pickle spear seems to help any random cramps that I get too (I think I get low on potassium).

You might also check with a chiropractor or see if a doc will refer you to a physical therapist. I just started PT and she saw with 2 minutes that I have a badly managed gait that is probably causing stress in my hips and lower back.

My other suggestion would be to try gentler exercise like swimming, which has resistance but much less impact.
  • MonicaLewis2016
    MonicaLewis2016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sadly I experience the same leg cramps. I've been convinced it's due to my weight. Although I'm not one to take my own advice, I do recommend going to the doctor and vetting it checked out. Better safe than sorry.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    OP: Perhaps slow down the amount of walking you're doing until your body gets re-accustomed to it.

Also, have your doctor check your potassium levels. I would not recommend supplementing for potassium without first verifying that you're low on it.