Please critique my day... I'm NOT losing and need some help!

Options
I wake around 5:30am. I drink a glass of water.. get ready for work and leave. ( I do not eat at home)
I eat a cereal bar or a yogurt at work. I drink about 32-48 oz of water while at work. (I sit at a desk in front of a computer all day). I eat a "Lean cuisine" or a "Progresso soup" for lunch. I snack on a 1-2 "100 calorie packs"...
When I get home I clean house, make dinner I try to make lean meats and lots of veggies about 300-500 calorie dinners... I head out for about 1.5 to 2 hours of biking which includes 50% of it uphill and 25% of it single track mountain biking trails... according to MFP I burn anywhere from 350 to 700 calories.

When I get home I try to snack on something and drink 8-12 ounces of water.

I am not losing anything... I am maintaining but I want to lose. I am careful to stay under 1200 calories and I try to eat at least half of what I burn...

HELP!!?? What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• McRebecca
    McRebecca Posts: 72
    Options
    OH and FYI.. This is truly a very typical day for me...
  • LuvMyBoys2
    LuvMyBoys2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    sounds to me like you may be eating too little. that will stop weight loss quickly.
  • marcyjane83
    Options
    Watch the sodium. Stay away from a lot of carbs. I didn't start losing until I ate smarter, rather than just eating 1200 and exercising. Good Luck!
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. Your net calories should not be lower than 1200. Ditch the cereal bar. Eat at home.... lots of quick options from oatmeal with fresh/frozen fruit, scrambled eggs/egg whites, whole wheat toast with peanut butter, plain or greek yogurt with fruit. Ditch the prepackaged lunches (have you looked at the sodium in those things!)
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    :smile: How long is it between the time you get up and when you eat? I try to eat within an hour of waking up. It works for me. You can also try upping your calorie take a little bit. You may not be getting enough calories. Your body is a machine which needs fuel to burn those calories you want to burn. Feed your body more, and it will probably respond in the way you want it to. Good luck!!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I agree you're not eating enough. And I also agree with watching the carbs -- carbs aren't evil, but you do need to make sure you're getting enough protein. If you don't feel like you have time to eat in the morning, you can prepare egg sandwiches or breakfast wraps ahead of time and keep them in the freezer, and just defrost them in the fridge overnight and nuke them quickly in the morning. Much better for you than a sugar-laden cereal bar or yogurt.
  • GeminiMel02
    GeminiMel02 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other folks here. Maybe you aren't eating enough AND maybe you're getting too much sodium from your diet. Another thing that might help is a heart rate monitor (if you aren't using that already) it will give you a better gauge of how many calories you need and are burning. :) Kmeekhof gives some great suggestions of meals that are going to be more filling than what you're currently having and more rich nutritionally.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Could be not enough calories. Your body will hang onto what it's getting if it's not getting enough. So, you could try increasing your calories a bit.

Could be too much sodium. The more sodium your body has the more likely to bloat and carry water weight you are. I went over my sodium yesterday and it cost me a loss on my weigh in today and I just know it. lol

I try to get the bulk of my calories in my breakfast, a very light lunch, dinner depends on my remaining calories and I may have a snack after dinner if I'm still too low.

What about time of the month? I don't notice anything interesting, but other folks say they tend to have water weight issues monthly.
  • heathergettingfit
    Options
    You are also eating a lot of processed foods
    Cereal bar
    Lean cuisine
    Progresso soup
    100 calorie packs

I agree with marcyjane83. You need to watch your sodium intake. In addition, many processed foods contain additional sugars as well in the form of HF corn syrup. Often they cut the fat and add extra sugars to make up for loss of flavor.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    What kind of cereal bar or yogurt? Maybe try switching the cereal bar for some eggs, whole wheat toast. I definitely recommend greek yogurt with fruit, lots of protein and very filling. I guess the eggs and toast wouldn't be likely since you don't eat breakfast at home. Switch out the lean cuisine or soup for a wrap with lots of veggies and hummus for a sauce rather than mayo. For snacks, try fresh fruit and vegetables, something that is more nutritious than one of the 100 calorie packs.

Another thing that sticks out is your calorie intake. If you're consuming 1200 calories and working out 1.5-2 hours, maybe your body just needs more energy. Try upping it another 100-200 calories and see if that jump starts your metabolism.
  • ashleelyman
    Options
    I agree with what another person said - stay away from processed foods! Try packing fresh salads or wraps for lunch plus fresh fruits and veggies (with hummus!?) to snack on and stay away from the processed foods like lean cuisines and bars! Good luck!
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm no dietician but from personal experience...I would eat as close to when you get up as possible to jumpstart your metabolism. Your breakfast should have some substance, yogurt (try greek yogurt) as it is high in protein, focus on protein and fiber. If you google "south beach quiche cups" I make those on the weekend for an easy breakfast that I can microwave and eat throughout the week.

Next, I am on a high sodium diet for low blood pressure but unless you are the same, that soup/lean cuisine/smart ones/healthy choice/ etc is ridiculously high in sodium and will make your body swell and hold onto water. I have to eat that stuff for my low blood pressure but the average person should avoid it.

I break my "meals" into five 250 cals throughout the day. You can adjust for what your calorie intake should be. But for one I will have pita bread a few carrots and hummus, another greek yogurt and a piece of fruit, the next some almonds and a fiber one bar or vitatop muffin (love those!) you get the idea. I used to do the 100 cal packs of mister salty choc covered pretzels, lorna doones, etc. While they are delicious they give you like no nutrition and they don't really hold over your appetite. I think you should focus on eating more "clean." I don't eat entirely clean but if you put your focus on staying around the outer edge of the grocery store when you shop it WILL help you lose weight. Focus on the produce, dairy, meats, and some frozen.

Eating little nutritiout meals throughout the day will keep your metabolism roaring. Also, I work a desk job too, get up as often as you can to walk to the printer, walk around the building for a few minutes. Just to keep yourself from being so stagnant. Hope this helps!!
  • heatherzotigh
    Options
    sounds like you need to switch things up a bit... gotta change your routine every few weeks or your body will adjust to what you are doing... go for a jog, add in some strength routines--- i.e. squats, lunges, pushups--things you can do with your body weight only if you don't have access to a gym. Also you should eat first thing in the morning--get your metabolism going right away! Lean cuisines are full of sodium, maybe try bringing tuna or salad for lunch instead... also make sure you're eating 5-6 times a day--and where are the fruits??

good luck! and remember, variation is the key!
  • McRebecca
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I didn't stop and think about the sodium.. YIKES! I will work on the breakfast sandwiches and burritios which we all (7 of us) like in my household.. Morning are SO hard.. I have to ready myself and 4 of the 5 kids before 6am so I can leave by 6:30...

My yogurt is a light yoplait.. I try to change week to week.. last week it was whole wheat english muffins and peanut butter... Next week I will work on eggs and meat for breakfast.

Lunches are hard since I only get 30 minutes and I work during that too.. But salads with chicken or beef is probably good. I thought the soups were good but realize the sodium could probably kill a horse.. lol

Should I eat after I ride at night?
  • McRebecca
    Options
    sounds like you need to switch things up a bit... gotta change your routine every few weeks or your body will adjust to what you are doing... go for a jog, add in some strength routines--- i.e. squats, lunges, pushups--things you can do with your body weight only if you don't have access to a gym. Also you should eat first thing in the morning--get your metabolism going right away! Lean cuisines are full of sodium, maybe try bringing tuna or salad for lunch instead... also make sure you're eating 5-6 times a day--and where are the fruits??

good luck! and remember, variation is the key!

I am limited on my activites for a few more months... Just had surgery on my head/brain so I riding is about as physical as I can get.. Running jars the head more than cycling.. push ups sit ups and such aren't allowed either becuase of the pressure.

I do try to walk briskly and walk stairs..

Admittingly I am bad with fruits... I eat bananas but not much else... I need to try harder in that area as well...
  • amy_36
    amy_36 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Hey cousin, I saw a personal trainer at my new gym
    today. He recommended the following things to me:

1. Breakfast, breakfast, breakfast. He said that breakfast is so important on a weight lose journey. He recommended it be my largest meal of the day.

2. He said cardio is great but you will lose more by throwing in weight training.

3. Cardio 4-5 times per week and weights 3 times per week.

4. Stay hydrated.

I sure wish we weren't a plane ride away. We could do this together!

Love ya!!!
  • McRebecca
    Options
    Hey cousin, I saw a personal trainer at my new gym
    today. He recommended the following things to me:

1. Breakfast, breakfast, breakfast. He said that breakfast is so important on a weight lose journey. He recommended it be my largest meal of the day.

2. He said cardio is great but you will lose more by throwing in weight training.

3. Cardio 4-5 times per week and weights 3 times per week.

4. Stay hydrated.

I sure wish we weren't a plane ride away. We could do this together!

Love ya!!!

Argh.. I know.. I wish I was home too... We are still doing it together just.. far apart!!

Got it on the breakfast! I will make an effort to wake around 4:30 rather than 5-5:30.. I guess I should try to get in some sort of activity in the AM too... Maybe some XBox!? Maybe some weights... Maybe I will bring some weights to work with me!?

I think I am drinking about 40-50 ounces of water a day... Hoping that's enough.. I have to watch how much I drink because of the new medical condition... Per everyone elses advice I am going to make a solid effort to eliminate at least HALF my sodium intake...

This is all "Good Mood Food" (food for thought!)
  • McRebecca
    Options
    :cry: Oh and you made me cry at work.. Miss you and love you too!
  • PinUpMommy
    PinUpMommy Posts: 94
    Options
    Lets put aside the processed foods for a minute. You are not eating NEARLY enough. The bare minimum a human should eat is 1200 calories, but for most people, it's much higher. You need to figure out what your BMR is, and that will tell you what YOUR lowest calorie count should be. Remember that everyone is different. For me, and the workouts I do, I shouldn't eat less than 1700 calories per day. I don't eat excercise calories (most of the time), but the 1700 keeps me fueled through out the day.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    The best way I know to lose (works for me anyway) is to cut bad carbs which come from PROCESSED food. Good carbs come from fresh fruit & veggies, whole grains. Watch sugar intake too. Basically, I don't eat anyrhing made with flour. I was at a plateau for the longest time until I tried this. Since joining MFP I have lost an additional 10 lbs. by eating this way and of course exercising. Good luck and just don't give up. Sooner or later it starts to kick in.