Not Liking My Weight Loss

Options
I have been eating right for two months, working out for one of those months. I have started to notice changes in my body, but they are making me look worse. I am an apple shape, and I have a huge, and I mean HUGE stomach. My legs and butt are small. As my exercise, I walk 4mph for 30 minutes a day 5 times a week. I have noticed that my legs are becoming smaller, as well as my (already non-existent) butt, and my stomach has not changed a bit. I am starting to look like a candy apple, big old round stomach and two sticks for legs. I actually am starting to regret my weight loss, because I look worse that I did before I lost weight. I know you can't spot tone, but is there ANYTHING I can do to even this out, even a little bit?

Replies

• Libby9
    Libby9 Posts: 45
    Options
    HI,

I think you should just keep going - eventually the weight will come off your tummy. Don't let this ruin your good work!!!
  • Libby9
    Libby9 Posts: 45
    Options
    By the way - I have the opposite problem, I have all the weight on my bum and legs...but the weight is coming of my tummy and probably boobs.

Grrrr
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I have been eating right for two months, working out for one of those months. I have started to notice changes in my body, but they are making me look worse. I am an apple shape, and I have a huge, and I mean HUGE stomach. My legs and butt are small. As my exercise, I walk 4mph for 30 minutes a day 5 times a week. I have noticed that my legs are becoming smaller, as well as my (already non-existent) butt, and my stomach has not changed a bit. I am starting to look like a candy apple, big old round stomach and two sticks for legs. I actually am starting to regret my weight loss, because I look worse that I did before I lost weight. I know you can't spot tone, but is there ANYTHING I can do to even this out, even a little bit?

There are many other ways to lose weight than walking...some far more effective. Adding strength training of any sort will help by accelerating your growth hormone production. The added benifit to strength training (aside from accelerating fat loss) is that when your bodyfat DOES finally go away, you'll be toned and healthy looking...rather than just skinny.

I do no cardio...my results are over 30lbs down, and a total of 7" off my waist, in 3ish months (6 weeks of that I was on a plateau...losing no weight OR inches).

I do my strength training in fast circuit format, not letting my heart rate drop below 140-150 between exercises.

Hope that helps!
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I look like kermit the frog with boobs! :sad: I found that just walking would make my legs skinnier! So I have an eliptical and now I use it with some hard resistance. It feels like trying to walk in sand. Its really building my leg and butt muscles. Try putting some 5lb ankle weights on during your walks. You need to build those muscles!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    we all lose weight differently and the type of exersise you do affects your muscle tone in those areas but not your calorie burn.

Honestly all you can do is stick with it - and if you haven't done measurements yet, do em, at least around your middle. you have probably lost inches there but because you lost a little more elsewhere it doesn't "look" like it.

You've lost 6 pounds, lose 6 more and see what happens.
  • ddroescher
    Options
    Don't expect marvelous things to happen overnight. It's going to be a long trek to get where you want to be. Another thing to consider is also watching the amount of sodium you intake because that equals water retention which becomes weight gain, because the big problem with me has been the amount of sodium in food that I have been consuming. Make sure you drink plenty of water and stay away as much as possible from things like soda, fruit juices and other drinks that have alot of sugar in it. The other thing is to watch the amount of carbs you eat as well. As far as a workout schedule goes, have it where you are active 6 days a week and have one day off to rest your muscles. You also may want to consider going to a weight loss clinic and they can run lab work and find out what your weaknesses are and recommend a diet that best suits you, and also bring along what you've been logging into your food diary everyday and let them take a look at it.
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    Everyone loses weight differently, you can't decide where your weight loss is going to show. For me I've always had an extremely small waist and all my weight loss is coming off there leaving my legs looks HUGE compared to my waist. If you keep working at it it will eventually come off.
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    I have a big belly too, it's where all my weight lands. I mainly walk to a dvd that incorporates strength training with a 5 mile walk. My legs are hot, and my arms have come down. My belly is finally showing a change, too. It took a long time to build this body up to it's maximum weight and it will take time to bring it back down.
    Keep on working, take your measurements so you can see that change and realize it will come off your belly if you just keep working.

You might change up your exercise a little, too. Surprise those muscles and build them up, they will help burn the fat faster.

Good luck and feel free to ad me.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the weight does not come off the body evenly for most people. We've all gone through stages where one body part (and usually the one we like the least) seems to be losing at a slower rate than other body parts. But eventually, you will lose fat everywhere as you get down to a lower percentage of body fat.

We also are not usually very good judges of what we actually look like. We nearly all have distorted self-images. I'd suggest that you start recording measurements as well as weight. You may find that even though things don't look that much different to you in the mirror, they are actually shrinking over time. Take measurements every month or so (you can record these on the same page that you record your weight).

You could also consider changing up your workouts a bit. Either walk for a longer period of time or try HIIT training; add some strength-training; etc.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

There are many other ways to lose weight than walking...some far more effective. Adding strength training of any sort will help by accelerating your growth hormone production. The added benifit to strength training (aside from accelerating fat loss) is that when your bodyfat DOES finally go away, you'll be toned and healthy looking...rather than just skinny.

I do no cardio...my results are over 30lbs down, and a total of 7" off my waist, in 3ish months (6 weeks of that I was on a plateau...losing no weight OR inches).

I do my strength training in fast circuit format, not letting my heart rate drop below 140-150 between exercises.

Hope that helps!

I agree strength training would be beneficial, HOWEVER. you can't expect his kind of results. He's male, and will have much faster body changes in this specific area.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I gain weight the same way, it's frustrating. Even now at 127, I still have to consistently work on this to keep a bit a bulk to my legs and butt, its not easy but doable. I do lunges, squats, climb stairs two at a time, zumba and tennis also have added muscle to my butt and legs that I couldn't get with just walking. So right now I have more butt than I have ever had!
  • Christina269
    Christina269 Posts: 110
    Options
    I hear ya! Think of it like a bad hair cut... you're trying to let it grow out, but you gotta go through the awkward stage first.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I think you are getting cold cold feet. It happens to some of us. Its a big change and it can be scary so we start to sabotage ourselves, sometimes.

Anyway, you will even out :) I think a lot of us lose it the same way. I am so pudgy in my mid section and I lose in my legs, I would say because of the cardio. Just keep at it and definitely add in some strength training.

Keep it up you're doing great!
  • proudlioness
    proudlioness Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is giving good advice, don't expect miracles and realize our bodies are all very different so it's hard to determine what will work better for you. It just might be a phase of trial and error, and then try try again.
    I'm not sure if you're a fan of supplements, but I just read about CLA its a supplement that helps to lose belly fat specifically and helps you to not lose muscle tone as you lose fat.
    You'll have to google it and talk to your doc for yourself to see if its a good fit for you but wanted to let you know about it.

7056892.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem, I am all butt and legs. You might look into finding a trainer to get you started. I work out 2x's a week with a trainer who has been helping me fine tune my nutrition too and we never do the same workout twice and I take a women's boxing class and do my elliptical. It took a while to find him, he is really good and very affordable. Keep at it, it will eventually come off.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Honestly, its the place you want to lose most that seems to come off last! And since you can't spot reduce you usually just have to wait it out, your body will give in if you keep going and the tummy area will go down. :)
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! Think of it like a bad hair cut... you're trying to let it grow out, but you gotta go through the awkward stage first.

*like*
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the weight does not come off the body evenly for most people. We've all gone through stages where one body part (and usually the one we like the least) seems to be losing at a slower rate than other body parts. But eventually, you will lose fat everywhere as you get down to a lower percentage of body fat.

We also are not usually very good judges of what we actually look like. We nearly all have distorted self-images. I'd suggest that you start recording measurements as well as weight. You may find that even though things don't look that much different to you in the mirror, they are actually shrinking over time. Take measurements every month or so (you can record these on the same page that you record your weight).

You could also consider changing up your workouts a bit. Either walk for a longer period of time or try HIIT training; add some strength-training; etc.

This...but what REALLY helped me the most was taking pictures. Same pose, same position, same distance from the camera. If I lay them over the top of each other in my photo editor...I can see MAJOR differences, in just a couple weeks. That's what gave me the push to work even harder. I thought my stomach wasn't shrinking (1/2" can seem so little to your eye, to the camera...it can be huge)...when really, it was.
    I agree strength training would be beneficial, HOWEVER. you can't expect his kind of results. He's male, and will have much faster body changes in this specific area.

This is true for the most part. One reason I had results like this is I had more muscle mass to begin with under the fat. But the fact is that her results could be far greater...which is why I suggested what I did. It wasn't the calories burned that did this. I burn less than1200cal a week...usually closer to 1100. It was the hormonal results of hard work, in short, fast bursts. This rule holds true across the board...regardless of gender.