Getting really frustated because...

Options
KateHubb
KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
I just walked outside for 25 minutes while pushing my 31 lb son in his stroller. My Polar HRM says 263 calories, MFP says 143 calories, and my Omron HJ-112 pedometer says 110 calories... these are big differences. Which is right?! They all have my height and weight inputted.

Replies

• vinlop
    vinlop Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Your HRM would be the most accurate measurement, but none of them are exact. I would take an average of those numbers and log that.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Does your HRM have a chest strap? If it does I'd go with that.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    MFP is going to be the least accurate out of all of those. its hard to say which is right but i would go with the difference between your HRM and your omron or pick the lower number to be safe.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    The Polar if it has a chest strap.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Your HRM would be the most accurate as calories burned are more reflective of your heart rate than just your height and weight.
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Does your HRM have a chest strap? If it does I'd go with that.

Yes, it does. It's a Polar FT4.
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The pedometer and MFP don't know that you are pushing a stroller and are only using your distance and time. The HRM shows higher because of the effort of pushing the stroller. I would go with that.
  • StShellie
    StShellie Posts: 12
    Options
    This is definitely not a professional take on this, but go with the one you think would be more accurate. What I mean is, did you really push yourself? I could only guess that pushing a 31 pounder around would really be a workout. Were you sweating at all? Were you breathing heavy? Consider these when you decide on the numbers. I know it can be frustrating when we are all counting our numbers!!:tongue: I don't think any of this is ever exactly accurate. And that includes counting the calories we eat.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    The pedometer and MFP don't know that you are pushing a stroller and are only using your distance and time. The HRM shows higher because of the effort of pushing the stroller. I would go with that.

That's what I was thinking -- the pedometer can measure steps but it has no idea that you were pushing a stroller. I would go with the HRM.
  • _angua_
    _angua_ Posts: 35
    Options
    MFP actually takes away calories for pushing a stroller as opposed to walking without, I guess it thinks you are walking slower.
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I never use mfp for any of my buned calories. I think they are wrong. I couldn't eat those burned calori. I would probably gain.