Question about leafy greens?

Options
I'm just wondering why leafy greens make me bloated and have gas? Lol. It doesn't matter how much I eat or drink it happens every time! I love greens but I don't like the after affect.

Anyone know why?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    define "leafy greens"

This sometimes happens to people who eat something called "cruciferous vegetables". These include broccoli, bok choy, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, radishes, kale, collard greens, kohlrabi, rutabaga, and watercress.

There are other greens like spinach, chives, lettuces, etc. that aren't cruciferous.

So what foods specifically?
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If you've recently (and dramatically) increased the amount of leafy greens you're eating, it's probably that your body is not used to the extra fiber that they provide. The same thing happened to me when I first started making green smoothies. At the beginning, I had to really dial back the quantity of leafy greens I was taking in until my body adjusted. Otherwise, I'd get really bloated. After a couple of weeks, I was able to substantially increase the amount of leafy greens I was eating with no bloating or gas.

ETA: Even now though, if my daily intake of fiber nears the 50g mark, I'll feel bloated. So definitely check out your fiber levels and if they're well above the recommended daily allowance, dial them back and you'll probably feel better.
  • manther88
    manther88 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    define "leafy greens"

This sometimes happens to people who eat something called "cruciferous vegetables". These include broccoli, bok choy, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, radishes, kale, collard greens, kohlrabi, rutabaga, and watercress.

There are other greens like spinach, chives, lettuces, etc. that aren't cruciferous.

So what foods specifically?

Spinach is the top one, kale, spring mix and pretty much in that category. Romaine is fine.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and many greens are a trigger for me. Spinach was the first food to start giving me problems; that was about 6 years ago. As someone who loves greens, this was really sad for me! I've found that if I eat a small amount, my body doesn't usually freak out. It's possible that you have a similar sensitivity. :(
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    try cooking them until they're pretty soft (steamed or in soup), and see how you feel. I have IBD, and this is the only way I can eat vegetables for now.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and most vegetables cause me issues. I eat them anyway.