How to calculate calories burned that are not found on the d

Options
I used to go to WebMD for my fitness and nutrition diary. I moved out here because there is more support from people. Did you know that everyday activities that you do like dishes, vacuuming, showering, etc. burn calories as well?? If you would like to add more to our database here on MyFitnessPal, feel free to stop by WebMD to calculate how many calories you burn for everyday activities then add them to the database here....I know it really helps me and motivates me to see that even though I may not have been able to do traditional forms of exercise on any given day, that I can still add the things I do on a daily basis on here so I can see that I am still burning calories of some sort. Email with with any questions and i will do my best to help out my fellow MFP friends!!

Replies

• FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    All those things do burn calories but they are already accounted for in your "lifestyle" choice. They are not things you would add unless you are accounting for every minute of your day to determine what your lifestyle setting should be.
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information. That will really help.
  • Derameth
    Derameth Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Of course we burn calories...*lol* I am sure most of us forget that doing daily chores, like vacuuming driving, etc burn them. That's a good suggestion, however, don't get carried away with that. When MFP calculates your sorta BMR as you fill out the goals, remember that takes it into consideration. If you are not a couch potato like me, then don't put sedentary up there and let the program calculate it for you..

But it is a good idea to see how much you burn if you are out weeding your garden, or raking the grass.... Good luck with your Journey.
  • kellymarie619
    Options
    I, too, do not log those sorts of things because I do them everyday and they are built into what "Lifestyle" I chose when I signed up. I find if you add to many of those little things that you'd be doing anyway you end up eating too many of your calories back and then you go over without realizing it.

But definitely thank you for your advice about the alternative website. Its nice to have another place to kind of "double check" things.
  • fairbanksmommy
    fairbanksmommy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    That I did not know!! Thank you for letting me know!!
  • fairbanksmommy
    fairbanksmommy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    So now I am trying to determine if I choose lightly active or moderate?? lol
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    If it is above and beyond my normal daily routine, I count it as exercise, but if it falls within the regular scope, then I don't.