Cholesterol

Options
CeejayGee
CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
So, I recently had my physical and got my lab work back. My cholesterol is only a couple of points away from being "high," so I wanna work on lowering it. Advice on what foods to eat and avoid?

Replies

• kfeathler
    kfeathler Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    avoid dairy products, increase your protein and take 500-1000mg of Niacin a day. Whole grains work too. I cut out dairy completely and dropped my cholesterol from 227 to 126.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol does not affect your body's cholesterol levels. So please don't give up eggs or switch to margarine :P

Trans fats are the enemy. Don't order anything fried in restaurants unless you know for SURE it contains no trans fats. Stay away from ANYTHING containing hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils. Don't just check nutrition panels -- read ingredient lists!

Eat omega-3 rich fish or take a supplement. And eat plenty of FIBER. It lowers cholesterol like the pro that it is.
  • ziggy67
    ziggy67 Posts: 351
    Options
    Try eating oats....they are good for cholesterol as it is insoluble fibre. Don't eat more than 3 eggs a week as the yolks are high in cholesterol. Flora do a good range of cholesterol lowering products but they can be expensive.
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever eat fried foods anymore and definitely try to avoid trans fats. I'll have to up my fiber and whole grains and maybe see a nutrition.
  • nurse_christieyne
    Options
    Beware of taking Niacin. Alot of people have reactions to it. Mine took a few months and I ended up in the hospital. You might want to talk with your Dr. first if you are going to start taking that.