CAnned beans

Options
I gotta ask about some can beans, now the label says for each serving its 20% of the value of your sodium limit you should have every day so now I want to ask when you rinse and drain the beans how far will the sodium value go down in canned beans?

Replies

• khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    bookmarking because I'd like to know this too!
    I did google it and found this result:
    "Overall, the draining treatment alone reduced sodium by 36% while the draining-rinsing treatment reduced sodium by 41%."
    http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/011110p62.shtml

and this source says 40%:
    http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/nutrition-101/salt-in-foods/truth-about-salt_4

That's good news!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    You can rinse the beans before using them to wash out some of the sodium but the change will not be reflected in your diary; I don't think that there is way to actually know how much the sodium was reduced.

But S & W and Full Circle Organic have reduced sodium beans. They may be a little more expensive but for me it is worthy and if you need to control your sodium it may be worthy for you too.
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    https://www.bushbeans.com/docs/reduced_sodium_article.pdf

Draining and rinsing does b/c the nutrition label includes the brine. An experiment and it's findings.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I had considered trying this before. However, Walmart sells a variety of canned beans (black, kidney, pinto, chili, and navy) with no salt added to them for the same price as the regular stuff.

If that's not an option, consider just buying and cooking your own dried beans. It's a pain in the *kitten*, imo, but about the only way you can be sure of what you're actually getting.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I have no problem in cooking dried beans. You can soak them over night,then drain...add fresh water & cook.Also easy to drain then rinse etc & cook in crockpot.Can freeze them in zip locks.Very handy to add to different recipes.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I rinse any canned beans I purchase, even low/no sodium.
    patceoh wrote: »
    I have no problem in cooking dried beans. You can soak them over night,then drain...add fresh water & cook.Also easy to drain then rinse etc & cook in crockpot.Can freeze them in zip locks.Very handy to add to different recipes.

In addition, dry beans/peas/lentils, are very economical.

The canned "no sodium" beans are more expensive, but still cheaper than a lot of foods. The grocery store I shop at has sales frequently on the "low sodium", and normal price is the same as the ones that have the normal sodium.

Any way you choose to purchase and use beans, they are a good buy for the money, IMHO.

• ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    https://www.bushbeans.com/docs/reduced_sodium_article.pdf

Draining and rinsing does b/c the nutrition label includes the brine. An experiment and it's findings.

In fact, just draining (in a sieve) for two minutes provides most of the reduction in sodium (36%). A 10 second rinse did reduce the observed sodium content a bit more to 41%, but the difference from simply draining was not statistically significant. So, if you're really strict about water conservation and don't have any reason to rinse them other than sodium reduction, then you could skip that part.

With that said, I drain and rinse my canned beans, common canned vegetables (e.g., corn, green beans, etc...) and even canned fruit because I assume that removes most of the added sugar. I occasionally save and use the liquid from canned tomatoes.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm a dietetic intern and we usually say it reduces sodium by about 40%.