Grocery list

2»

Replies

• khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    My list for Costco this week was:
    • fresh fish (we got the steelhead trout)
    • turkey (15 pounder)
    • 5 pack of romaine lettuce
    • bag of carrots
    • celery
    • broccoli
    • multi-coloured bell peppers
    • Brussels sprouts
    • sweet potatoes
    • white onions
    • red onions (I really don't need a giant bag but I don't want to go to another store).
    • avocados
    • whole milk
    • sausage links for gumbo
    • eggs
    • egg white breakfast sandwiches (I don't eat these but my DH does)

I usually shop with about 4-5 meals in mind. I almost always get a rotisserie chicken for a couple of meals + making chicken broth, but I skipped it this week because I got a turkey. I use the avocados and eggs and leftover roasted veggies in my lunch, and the romaine for a nightly salad. This weeks' meals:
    1. Last night we smoked the trout, and it will be enough for probably 3 meals (I froze the leftovers) We had it with sweet potato fries we made in the air fryer and a romaine + red onion salad. Other meals planned:
    2. roasting the turkey with roasted veggies (carrots, sweet potato and brussels sprouts),
    3. then making turkey broth, which can be used for various soups and other dishes
    4. which leads to turkey curry using the onions and bell peppers and
    5. turkey gumbo using the celery, onions, bell peppers and sausage.
    6. Will freeze whatever turkey is left after that, because we will be sick of turkey by then.

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited December 2016
    My Costco basics are chicken breasts, egg whites, broccoli, spinach and apples. I also get the Kirkland protein bars for the extra protein as well as tasty snack.

I grill and/or proportion for the week
  • jwcsanders
    jwcsanders Posts: 50 Member
    My normal list includes:

Avacado
    Spinage
    Bananas
    Zuccini
    Cucumber
    Tomatos
    Lettuce
    Chicken Breast
    Ground Beef
    Steak
    Turkey
    Canned Chicken
    Canned Tuna
    Shredded Cheese
    Block Cheese
    Mayo
    Mustard
    Eggs
    Almonds
    Cashews
    Diet Dr. Pepper
    Coffee
    Half and Half
    Folgers Coffee Flavors (Mocha)
    Tea
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Starting with a weekly menu and building your shopping list around is a great strategy. Another thing that I often do is to start with the weekly sales and build my menu around it, and then build a shopping list around that. I sit down with the weekly ad for my grocery stores and go from there. For instance, eggs are cheap at my store right now and I need to stretch my budget, so I'm going to have a couple of extra meals with eggs as the main protein. If ground beef is on sale, I might plan for tacos. If it's chicken this week or a big sale on fish, then I'll plan accordingly. If it's a big sale on frozen veggies, then I'll stock up.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    edited December 2016
    My list for the week:
    Heavy cream
    Milk
    Eggs
    Turkey
    Lightly breaded chicken
    Wheat buns
    Avocado
    Asparagus
    Cuties
    Bacon
    Pork loin
    Cheese block
    Salad greens
    Protein bars
    Green tea
    Frozen fish

But your list will be different depending on what you love. I love fat haha.