How do you feel about keto?

Options
My friend wants me to try it but im not crazy about cutting out any types of nutrition. I eat carbs. I just try to keep them healthy nutritious carbs

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If you don't have medical issues then don't do it. This is coming from a low carber (not in ketosis). I love the way I feel now and cooking is becoming fun. However, I do it for health. Just do what works for you.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to cut anything out then don't cut it out. All you need is a calorie deficit.

I eat keto but that's because I feel it is easier to stick to my deficit better because the high fat is satiating for me.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I like it and have been doing it for over a year and a half. I have health issues that benefit from eating this way though, so I have an extra incentive to avoid carbs.

I stick to healthy nutritious carbs too. Mainly veggies with a bit of fruit and a small occassional amount of starch. I generally skip baked goods and lots of starchy root vegetables.
  • llcornerstone
    llcornerstone Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love it and can't stop. I truly enjoy eating what I want.
    Only have one meal a day. Lost 20lbs since July and now with no exercise I am able to maintain through the holidays. Starting January I will bring exercise back in 3 times a week. Bone broth is key as well during the week. Fasted for 7 days in November with no problem and included Zumba workouts for 3 of the 7 days. Drank bullet coffee in morning and 8oz of bone broth at 10:00pm every night. Including water throughout the day. Had energy enough for three (3) people. Friends and family in shock but now are believers. o:)
  • anja8577
    anja8577 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm eating keto since 3 months with 2 short 3 day 'resets' with 'all i wanted to eat carbs' because of birthdays and the xmas holidays. I used to have major issues just THINKING of cutting out certain foods (read: Nutella etc) pre-keto. The best thing about keto for me is the realization that I can live (and live well) without lots of sweets every day. I have next to no cravings for sweets, and the ones i have can easily be satisfied with protein powder puddings or keto-friendly quest bars. I find it empowering and 'freeing' to live sans sweets. i never thought i'd be capable of doing that without being a grumpy, miserable b..ch all day long! ;-)

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that unless you have a medical condition that could benefit from it, such as diabetes/pre-diabetes, metabolic-syndrome, PCOS, Hashimoto's thyroiditis or Epilepsy, there is likely no benefit to the diet for you - unless you enjoy eating that way - in which case, go ahead.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Low carbs make me smell like a litter box. Keto would not work for me. Try it yourself and find out. It might be what you're looking for.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    My friend wants me to try it but im not crazy about cutting out any types of nutrition. I eat carbs. I just try to keep them healthy nutritious carbs

There's a low carb/keto group here on MFP that can answer any questions you might have if you're truly interested:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I feel indifferent.

Seems extreme to me. I'm all for some low carb action but with a diet that high in fat, the volume of all my meals would be so little. And I like big voluminous meals.

Also I don't want keto breath because I'm single at 31 in NYC and I really don't need anything else against me.

Oh, yeah, you hit another point. The volume thing. Ugh.

I'm a volume eater too. That's a huge deal breaker in addition to the horrible effects all that fat would have on my bathroom.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I feel indifferent.

Seems extreme to me. I'm all for some low carb action but with a diet that high in fat, the volume of all my meals would be so little. And I like big voluminous meals.

Also I don't want keto breath because I'm single at 31 in NYC and I really don't need anything else against me.

That's very true. Food volume goes down. I often eat off of a salad plate because that's all I need for a meat and veggie. Salads are my biggest volume food but I don't do those more than once a week.

If I am eating a very high fat, high calorie meat and cheese casserole, my meal may only be just over a cup of food... That's not the norm though.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic, low carb is often touted. I love fruit and I like to eat chocolate. I did it for a month to drop weight fast and now my weight is in normal range, I can tolerate higher carbs as long as I exercise regularly, and I eat them.

I think it depends on the person. If you like low carb food, it's a moot point. At a higher weight, carbs are my enemy. At normal weight, they're friends with me again. I tend to choose a high protein version of carb where I can, but as a lifestyle choice for me long term, I'd struggle.

If your body tolerates carbs and you don't want to go low carb, then don't. Losing weight shouldn't be about being miserable.
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a diagnosed medical problem, this is a fad diet.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    tennileb wrote: »
    Unless you have a diagnosed medical problem, this is a fad diet.

I don't agree with it being called a fad diet since it has been around for centuries. Banting actually published the first book on weight loss on it. It's been around longer than calorie counting and way longer than the low fat /"heart healthy" diet.

I think people call it a fad because its popularity has increased again. But just because something is popular does not make it a fad.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I feel indifferent.

LOL my husband was getting ready to move in to the spare bedroom when i was low carbing :(