Has anyone ever eaten Quinoa?

Options
glenr79
glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
I have heard about a lot of health benefits from it. I am about to go buy me some, if anyone uses it can you please let me know what it does for you. And if you do what are some different ways to use it or cook it, or add it to other things?

Replies

• vemaddox
    vemaddox Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    ive never eaten it or anything...only first heard about it from the next food network star....looks yummy...isnt it like some sort of rice or something
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It's a hearty grain that has a texture similar to couscous. I love it!
  • JennyJH
    JennyJH Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I found it somewhat bland but I've only had it a couple of times.

Added it to a mild chilli like I would normally add rice and it was....bland.

But.....I only learned how to cook rice properly this year :blushing:

Going to try cooking it with a vegetable stock next time.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Check out "Recipes for Health" on the New York Times website, they have lots of quinoa recipes. It is a whole grain that is high in protein. Tastes nutty and delicious, but a bit expensive.
  • brvanover
    brvanover Posts: 52
    Options
    I just ordered some and will get it next week!
    I'm excited to try it, I've heard good things!
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I tried it for the first time last week and I love it. Make sure and make it in some broth instead of just water, it's a bit bland that way.

It is a bit pricey though.
  • brvanover
    brvanover Posts: 52
    Options
    Check out "Recipes for Health" on the New York Times website, they have lots of quinoa recipes. It is a whole grain that is high in protein. Tastes nutty and delicious, but a bit expensive.

I just ordered some online and it was $3.99 a pound. This is the first time I have bought it and I did some price checking first and this was the cheapest I found.
    I got it here http://www.nutsonline.com/
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I eat it. Its really tasty and very good for you. It has a high protein content and is a complete protein. Very good for you. I usually add stuff to it to make it tasty. I make something I call southwest quinoa salad. I cook the quinoa and then add pinto beans, green onions, peppers, tomatoes, lime juice and cilantro. I adapted the recipe from the this:

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/saladrecipes/r/Southwestern-Quinoa-Salad.htm

I usually always spice up my quinoa by adding some veggies, herbs and spices to it.

Enjoy!
  • Jade1964
    Jade1964 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love it!

I sautee some onion in a little olive oil and then throw the quinona in with it and sautee it til it is brown. Doesn't take long. Then I cook it with vegetable broth and while it is cooking I add chopped fresh spinach, mushrooms and zucchini.

Once the broth cooks out of it I will then add fresh chopped tomatoes cucumbers, and red pepper. Then throw a little greek dressing on it and it is great!
  • Tracy184
    Tracy184 Posts: 74
    Options
    Try allrecipes.com. I also find it to be a little bland, so you need to know how to dress it up a little. I had quinoa fritters that were delicious, but that's not really a healthy option. It's versatile though, you can eat it hot in a lot of different ways, but it's also good in cold salads, like with fresh herbs and veggies and balsamic vinegar or something. I've been meaning to experiment with it more, but I've gotten lazy.
  • ruffledviolet
    Options
    I've had it with oatmeal.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying it and use it in quite a few different ways. I haven't eaten it just as a grain side-dish like I'd eat rice, but that is on my list. I have thrown it in soups and ground it to put in bread dough. I also cooked some to put in my birdseed bars, and that turned out really good. So far, I totally approve of quinoa!
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa! As others have said, it's a grain that has a couscous-like texture. It's very protein-rich (and it's a complete protein - has all the essential amino acids we need, so it's kind of unique).

It doesn't have a strong flavor, but I love love love seasoning it with a little lemon juice (or a lot) and olive oil...also good with olives, tomatoes...basically anything you'd add to give rice a little more flavor would work. If you cook it in chicken or veggie stock instead of just plain water, it will also be more flavorful.

I suggest going to EatingWell.com for recipes, or look on Food Network's website - Giada De Laurentiis has some good recipes (see http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/herbed-quinoa-recipe/index.html - might be overly lemony, but you can always use less lemon juice...I like this recipe with lots of garlic added to it and a little less lemon).
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe you can try!

Black bean, corn, Quinoa

1 (10 ounce) box dry plain Quinoa
    1 (16 ounce) bag frozen corn 
    1 (15ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained 
    4 medium green onions, sliced 
    1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped 
    2 garlic cloves, minced 
    Juice of 2 lemons (1/4 cup) 
    1/4 cup evoo 
    1 tsp salt 
    Coarsely ground black pepper 

1. Prepare quinoa according to package directions. To cool quickly, spread the quinoa on a large baking sheet in a thin layer and let stand for 10 minutes. 

2. Combine cooled quinoa, corn, beans, green onions, bell pepper, and garlic in a bowl; mix gently. Add lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. 

I like to add minced jalapeno and cilantro for an extra kick! 

Serves 12 

Enjoy!
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love it!

I sautee some onion in a little olive oil and then throw the quinona in with it and sautee it til it is brown. Doesn't take long. Then I cook it with vegetable broth and while it is cooking I add chopped fresh spinach, mushrooms and zucchini.

Once the broth cooks out of it I will then add fresh chopped tomatoes cucumbers, and red pepper. Then throw a little greek dressing on it and it is great!

That sounds really good. I am definitely trying this!
  • seaandrhythm
    Options
    I eat it all the time. I use it in place of both rice and pasta. So, for example, I've had it with tomato pasta sauce, stir fried with vegetables, and in cold salads. One thing to keep in mind is it has a bit of bitterness on its exterior and even though it's now washed before being packaged for sale, I like to rinse it under water before I boil it. It's bland in the same way pasta and rice is, so it accepts flavour from sauces/dressings/herbs very well.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of recipes available on CookingLight.com.
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I bought a package of Quinoa after learning about the great health benefits and do eat it from time to time. Usually, I just boil it and put some soy sauce on it. One of my friends once made me stuffed peppers which had Quinoa in the middle. It was pretty good -- you could probably find some recipies online.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa. I use it in place of rice. I made it into a Spanish Quinoa and my family loved it. They also love my Quinoa Meatballs so here is my recipe for quinoa meatballs:

Quinoa Meatballs

Ingredients:

1 pound extra lean ground beef

1 pound extra lean ground turkey

1 cup red, yellow and green bell peppers, chopped

1 medium onion, chopped

4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped

4 cups quinoa, cooked according to package directions.

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Mix all ingredients together very well. Roll mixture into balls (I use a 1/8 of a cup measure) and place on a baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minute depending on the size of the ball.

Serve in spaghetti sauce with spaghetti noodles or meatball sandwiches, in brown gravy over rice, or in country gravy over toast or egg noodles. There are endless options. This makes a large batch of meatballs. I usually freeze ¾ of them in meal size freezer bags for use later.

Nutrition Information:

Serving: 3oz
    Calories: 205
    Carbs: 22
    Fat: 5 gr.
    Protein: 19 gr.
    Sugar: 1 gr.
    Fiber: 3 gr.
  • dointime
    dointime Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I eat it, I like it because I am vegetarian and it is a good source of protein. There are a billion different recipes for it on the internet, but one way I like to use it is as a rice substitute. If you are going to eat it all by itself, I would definitely recommend cooking it with a broth to give it some flavor, just like others have said. It can be kind of expensive in the grocery stores, but some stores (like Whole Foods) may offer it in bulk. I found a huge bag at Costco for $8, if that is an option for you. Hope you like it!