I see people buring over 1000 cals at the gym

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,914 Member
    Options
    Am i doing something wrong because i usually only born 300-400 and i feel i work hard.

How long are they working out compared to you? How much bigger than you are they? Are they doing the same sort of workout?

Idk i was like wow over 1000 cals burned.

If they ran for a couple hours on the treadmill ... they might burn 1000 cal.

Whereas if you did 30 minutes, you wouldn't.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can burn 1000 calories from just walking, at a fast pace However it takes me longer than a couple hours.
  • U2Bad1
    U2Bad1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If I run pretty hard on a treadmill (5'11'', 180 lbs), according to my garmin I will burn approximately 700-750 calories in an hour. Some people may burn 1000 calories +, but my guess is most of them are overestimating their burn.
  • TMLWanders
    TMLWanders Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can only burn 1000 calories when I do my 10 mile runs.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    TMLWanders wrote: »
    I can only burn 1000 calories when I do my 10 mile runs.

Many people grossly overestimate their calorie burns.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I jokingly call a day spent spotting and loading 1000 calories. And comp days in general. Do I really think it's anywhere near that? Nope. But it feels like it.

Track your numbers. Adjust based on your real world results. Profit.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    As a 6'3" over 200lb guy, it's pretty easy to burn 1000+ calories in an hour of heavy exercise. Smaller people with less muscle-mass .... not so much.
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    People are probably overestimating their burns. My treadmill will give me a 450 or 500 calorie burn for a 5 mile run and my Fitbit something similar, but when I use the formula weight x 0.6 x miles, I end up with less than a 350 calorie burn.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Am i doing something wrong because i usually only born 300-400 and i feel i work hard.

They're most likely overestimating.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I prefer about 2-3 hours of group fitness classes when I do go to the gym and often do around or over 1000 calories. I don't go to the gym everyday
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

They're probably overestimating. Machine displays need calibration and if people are using HRMs that's a likely source of significant error.

As others are saying, compare with a ten mile run as something that'll burn 1000 cals, and have a think about whether it's realistic. Note that ellipticals don't compare in effort terms.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I can burn 1000 calories on long hikes or incline walks because I'm obese. Running for about 70-80 minutes will get me there too. It doesn't happen often though because I would burn out or injure myself. I usually get 300-400. Don't compare yourself to other people because they have different stats and fitness levels, plus they may or may not be overestimating.
  • NeuronsNeuronsNeurons
    Options
    plug the numbers into a BMR calculator and you quickly see where it's possible. I burned over 1,000 today with 2 hours of cardio but I'm much much larger than you. It is also true that your body adapts and burns calories more efficiently. Right now I'm huffing, puffing, heart racing and sweating like a slob the whole way...eventually I will be able to go the same intensity with much less effort (I hope) thus there's a lot of variability in that. If they're obese and their heart rate is 135+ or more than 60%-70% of their max heart rate and they were killing it for two hours then yes, easily.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I reckon a lot of people count entire time they are at the gym, not just the time actually spent working out.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    Stop comparing yourself to other people especially when it comes to working out/dieting. If what your doing is working for you stick to it. If its not adjust accordingly.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,139 Member
    Options
    Nobody burns over 1000 calories at the gym. I used to be ultra fit. I taught boxing too. When you are extremely fit, your body can do extremely challenging exercise with great economy and without raising your pulse as highly as a big fat guy like me walking to the corner shop. I will be more tired by walking a half a mile than Mo Farah running quicker than most hobby cyclists for a few thousand meters. So the paradox is, if you're fit enough to burn 1000 calories in a gym, you most probably won't. Maybe a triathlon or marathon, but not in the gym.

This is misrepresenting the whole efficiency effect. Yes, you get more efficient, but walking say 2 miles will burn pretty much the same amount of calories for both fit and unfit individuals whose stats are otherwise the same. To take your example, if you adjusted for the differences in weight between you and Mo Farah, you would find that the walk for a half mile burned very similar amounts of calories because the work needed to do it is the same. The difference it Mo is far more fit than you are so he would be less tired. There is some reduction in burn with increased efficiency, but not as much as you see to think. This is even more true with cycling. Put a power meter on a bike and you have a very accurate number of calories burned, and again, the change with increased efficiency won't change that, what does change is how far a person travels since they say, are not wandering all over the road.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Nobody burns over 1000 calories at the gym. I used to be ultra fit. I taught boxing too. When you are extremely fit, your body can do extremely challenging exercise with great economy and without raising your pulse as highly as a big fat guy like me walking to the corner shop. I will be more tired by walking a half a mile than Mo Farah running quicker than most hobby cyclists for a few thousand meters. So the paradox is, if you're fit enough to burn 1000 calories in a gym, you most probably won't. Maybe a triathlon or marathon, but not in the gym.

So if a really fit person had taken two or three of your boxing classes back to back, they wouldn't have burned a thousand calories? What type of slack *kitten* classes were you teaching? Work done is Force multiplied by distance moved. Just because one is really fit and efficient, their body still has some mass and it takes effort or calories to make it move. Being fit doesn't mean there's no effort expended or calories burned - just means they're a bit (or a lot) better at doing that particular exercise.