Struggling here

Options
I've had about 10 lbs to go for the past 2 months or so and I got to wear I still had 6lbs to go but after holiday now I'm back to 11 lbs to go...HELP. I've been drinking more water and still counting calories. Very irritating. I'm taking couple days off doing sit ups due to belly large/bloated.

Replies

• Diazbodybuilding
    Options
    Excess sodium equals water retention.. keep track of caloriea and be consistent.. best tip is to drink tons of water to flush out sodium.. your weight will stable
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Crunches won't help a big belly. Try adding some cardio to increase your deficit.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    How frustrating. We're you logging during the holidays?
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Water weight can be stubborn, just keep eating at a modest deficit, logging as accurately as possible, and you will get there! Patience is your best friend
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    bggirl27 wrote: »
    I've had about 10 lbs to go for the past 2 months or so and I got to wear I still had 6lbs to go but after holiday now I'm back to 11 lbs to go...HELP. I've been drinking more water and still counting calories. Very irritating. I'm taking couple days off doing sit ups due to belly large/bloated.

A great post by @stroutman81 which should help:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/113609/relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner/p1
    I'm going through my blog here on MFP and finding a few pieces I think are worth sharing on the main board. This piece specifically was a blurb from a conversation I was having with a relatively lean female who was "having problems" getting leaner.

Where I'm going with this is... being a light female, you don't have a lot of room to wiggle, calorically speaking. 12 calories per pound is typically where I'll start my clients who are interested in fat loss. That's assuming a maintenance of around 14-15 calories per pound and frequent exercise.

So in your case, 12 x 122 = 1500ish calories per day.

You're most likely eating close to that after you eat your exercise calories back. Plus, keep in mind that mostly everyone under-reports actual calorie intake. Humans are just very poor at doing this accurately. I have papers showing dietitians significantly under-reporting their true intake, believe it or not.

So in this case, we're assuming your maintenance is 14 x 122 = 1700 leaving you with a 200 cal/day deficit.

Given that there are 3500 cals in one pound of fat, assuming all you lost was fat (which isn't the case), it would take you 17-18 days just to lose one pound.

And even with that, smaller women who are trying to diet invariably deal with all sorts of water balance issues. Part of it is glycogen, as mentioned above. Each gram of glycogen that is stored carries along 3 grams of water. But it also has loads to do with hormone balances that tend to get wonky in women in your position.

So your fat loss could be happening at this excruciatingly slow pace and even then, you won't realize it on the scale as it can be masked by 2-5 lbs of water weight.

I see it all the time... women in similar shoes heading in the "right" direction but they never stick with things long enough to realize it. They solely use the scale to measure progress so they never actually realize they're losing fat and this is coupled with short-term perceptions/expectations. They never stick to the plan b/c they allow water weight to dominate their emotional well-being. More often then not they cave, binge, and try again next week or month or whatever. It's a viscous cycle.

More often than not, managing expectation along with tracking weight/body comp over many weeks and plotting a trend is what's called for. Or to put it differently, it's a matter of patience, assuming you have your nutrition and exercise dialed in correctly.

I'm just finishing working with a woman who's a fitness competitor. Over the course of a 2 month cut she averaged under .5 lbs of fat loss per week. And her weight remained the same throughout much of that time. Think about that.

Also, keep in mind that your maintenance may very well be under 14 calories per pound. Say it's 13. That puts maintenance at 1600 and if you're consuming 1500 cals/day, that gives you an average daily deficit of only 100 cals. At that rate, again assuming you lose nothing but fat, it would take you 35 days to lose one pound of fat.

See where I'm going with this?

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Or in briefer terms,

Daily fluctuations in water weight very easily hide the very slow downward trend of a small calorie deficit. Stick with it, because it's very unhealthy at low weights to crash diet.
  • bggirl27
    bggirl27 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Asher ethan....I wasn't consistant on logging but did watch what I was eating but I messed up somewhere.
  • nattyleigh1991
    nattyleigh1991 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We all mess up sometimes, it's human nature. It's amazing how much not tracking can have an effect. As soon as I start tracking again I realise that what I thought was "watching what I eat" was actually a whole lot more. Be consistent in your tracking again hun and you'll be back on track before you know it.
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't give up now. If you feel stuck, try something different and see if it helps--but keep working at it. Those stubborn pounds will go. :)