Inaccurate HRM

Options
today i did a 95min jog/walk w/ ave speed of about 3.2mi/hr. my HRM told me i burned 1410 cals in that time. i KNOW that's not accurate. NO WAY!! esp since the ave pace works out to just under 20min/mile. can anyone recommend a GOOD HRM w/ calorie counter? this ish is UNacceptable :-/

a lil extra info: i'm 5'2.75" and 177lbs, so even though i am fairly overweight, and the more overweight you are the harder your body has to work when exercising, i KNOW there's no way i managed to burn almost a whole day's worth of calories in 95min. i logged it as 545 bc i'm confident that that's closer to the truth, but dang, i want my HRM to at least give me a realistic estimate!

Replies

• MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    The Polar brands are very popular, jus't make sure to buy one with a chest strap
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    Yeah, those numbers are high. What kind of HRM do you have? The most accurate ones have a chest trap which reads the electrical impulses from your heart (like the Polar brands).
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I've got a Polar FT4, & it comes with a chest strap. I paid around $70 on Amazon, since then I've seen them for as low as $50.
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    what was your heart rate highest and average?
  • teamsaris
    teamsaris Posts: 30
    Options
    Those numbers don't sound overly rediculous to me...95 mins is over an hour and a half which is a long time to jog/run. I run in the evenings and my 30-35 min runs can earn me upwards of 600 cals. My HR peaks at 185 and I stay in that zone. (Sounds high I know, but I have been checked by my doctor and everything is fine). So if I was to go for an hour I would burn roughly 1200...and so on.

Way to go on getting a great burn!!
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    what was your heart rate highest and average?

i have a timex (don't know model number) with a chest strap. my ave heart rate was 139 (probably from all the walking) and my peak was 180. i did notice that during my jogs my heart rate was in the 160s.