Reaction to artificial sweeteners?

Options
After eating products with artificial sweeteners I seem to become hungry and then feel nauseously hungry, could I be having a reaction to them?

Replies

• oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Short answer: yes.

Slightly Longer Answer: It might be worth your while, if you're committed to eating artificial sweeteners (AS), to take note of what sweetener you're eating and how you feel afterwards. For example, I can eat stevia OK, but too much sucralose turns my digestive tract to mush.
    There are some folks out there that would advise to not eat AS at all, but that can be difficult, especially with protein supplements.
  • AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    OK, I have noticed sucralose pop up a lot in things I eat
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I choose not to use AS for health reasons. I can do stevia and xylitol. I far prefer xylitol. I like oocdc2's suggestion though for testing out which ones you have a problem with physically. You might find yourself okay with things like stevia and/or xylitol.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I love artificial sweeteners.
  • youmeandtheseaphotography
    Options
    I try not to eat anything with artificial sweetners, I use natural sweetners. I would get bloated and have a stomach ache when I use them.
  • AngeleyesJo
    Options
    Hmm I have felt bloated
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Aspartame gives me a headache. I don't like the taste/aftertaste of one of the others but I don't remember which one anymore because I've avoided all of them for so long since they started mixing them together :s that it doesn't really matter. I used to be able to use some things that have artificial sweetener but the mixing took care of that.

Now I just buy the non-sugarfree versions of things and use a packet of Sugar in the Raw (because I like the flavor) whenever I want to add a little sweetener.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What food are you eating?
  • AngeleyesJo
    Options
    Low calorie fat free and protein products
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Low calorie fat free and protein products

Well protein and fiber have the greatesr impact on satiety but most fat free stuff is not going to have much impact on hunger..so I wouldn't be surprised if you are hungry after. And depending on how much protein aand even type of protein you are getting at once, will also impact satiety.