Protein Powder

Options
Which one is worth the money?
My friend is really into fitness and modeling, but she doesn't have an account on MFP so I thought I'd ask, since a quite big number of people here is into it too.
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I buy plain unflavoured whey powder from my local bulk food store. I get 2 lbs for the price of ANY of the 1lb tubs at health food stores locally where they have additives / flavourings.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    best brand ive tried is optimum nutrition 100% gold standard whey protein. My favorite flavors are extreme chocolate milk and french vanilla creme....i think its like $24 for a 5 lb jug that lasts me a month (i use a shake every day). This one doesnt have a funny texture and can be mixed with water or milk or made into a smoothie.
  • scottaolszewski
    Options
    I use myoplex choclate and vanialla flavors. You can find the big bags at Sam's Club or the small containers at Walmart as well. Good flavor and good nutrients as well.
    S
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I use Jillian Michaels Whey Protein...get it at Walmart for like $10
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I like to use Body Fortress Protein Shots.
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have tried many different varieties and have found Shakeology to be superior to its competitors. It not only has protein but it also has many essential nutrients that our bodies need. I have seen a real difference and results from switching to Shakeology.
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I use Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein (recommended by my trainer). I love the Double Chocoate, takes care of my sweet tooth at the same time. Tastes great with water.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You'll probably get a lot of different answers to this depending on a lot of different factors.

My biggest issue is taste. I can NOT stand the way 99% of the protein powders taste - cheap to expensive.. some of them are just plain ICK. Also, I can't stand when they don't dissolve easily.

My personal fave? Muscle Milk - I think it has one of the best tastes AND it always dissolves. (a side note: if you're planning to send me hate mail or whatever about MM, don't bother... I will delete it, block you AND report you.. thanks!). MM is reasonably priced, IMO.

Dynamtize is another good brand (not sure I spelled that right..). This one is pricer than MM, but is good too.

Right now we have Gaspari brand. It's okay but only tastes good when mixed with milk. I like that the other two I mentioned are good with milk OR water depending on how many calories/how much protein you're trying to get. :)
  • BCKS
    BCKS Posts: 287 Member
    Options

I also really like this one. Tastes great and inexpensive. I use Silk Almond Milk, Vanilla or the Chocolate flavored (My favorite), throw in some frozen fruit ~ Delicious!!! :drinker:
  • mistyb47711
    Options
    I have tried many different varieties and have found Shakeology to be superior to its competitors. It not only has protein but it also has many essential nutrients that our bodies need. I have seen a real difference and results from switching to Shakeology.

$119 for a 30 day supply....ouch!....Even Herbalife is like $70 for a month supply.....
  • mistyb47711
    Options

I also really like this one. Tastes great and inexpensive. I use Silk Almond Milk, Vanilla or the Chocolate flavored (My favorite), throw in some frozen fruit ~ Delicious!!! :drinker:

Yes it is good, I seitched to fat free milk to save on calories.....and I havent tried with fruit yet...hmmm i need reciepes now...lol
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Any that has 80% protein in a scoop. Its only a minor part of Your diet and the difference from an extra expensive one to lower cost ones is like what 2% of your total nutrition, take the one You like the taste of.
  • msmindyf
    msmindyf Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Yes it is good, I seitched to fat free milk to save on calories.....and I havent tried with fruit yet...hmmm i need reciepes now...lol
    Have you tried mixing your protein powder with Almond Milk? You can get it for 90 cals or less. I personally prefer the Almond Breeze original-60 cals for a cup..it's a lot creamer skim milk, imo. I also like to throw in pb2(powdered peanut butter, 45 cals for 2 Tbsp)..good stuff :-)
  • mistyb47711
    Options

Im gonna have to try this thanks!!1
    Have you tried mixing your protein powder with Almond Milk? You can get it for 90 cals or less. I personally prefer the Almond Breeze original-60 cals for a cup..it's a lot creamer skim milk, imo. I also like to throw in pb2(powdered peanut butter, 45 cals for 2 Tbsp)..good stuff :-)
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options

$119 for a 30 day supply....ouch!....Even Herbalife is like $70 for a month supply.....

True there is a price difference. Compared to Hebrallife, Shakeology also has Phytonutrients, probiotics, and digestive enzymes which supports immune function, support digestive health and increase absorption rate of foods.

In 90 day studies people have been found to lose weight, reduce craving, increase energy and stamina, and promote healthy digestion and regularity.