Has anyone ever eaten Quinoa?

Options
2»

Replies

• Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I've mostly eaten it in cold salads so far. My favorite recipe with it that I've tried so far is at: http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/salads/lovely-quinoa-salad/. They have a bunch of other recipes for it on the site.
  • jamja
    jamja Posts: 190
    Options
    Great stuff. But like most people have said...you need to add in flavor.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    We have been doing away with most of our high carb stuff and use it just like rice and really love it. 2 cups water to one cup Quinoa and simmer till it looks like little pearls. Try pan roasting it in a little EVOO first with whatever seasoning you are using and it will really bring out the flavor. Found it on sale a few times and Fry's/Krogers and Sunflower market in the bulk section. Make sure you rince it first or it clouds.
  • SparksFly460
    SparksFly460 Posts: 258
    Options
    Quinoa tends to pick up the taste of whatever you cook it with. I actually really like it but will still pick barley over it. The texture is pretty great and it punches in a nice amount of protein, so it's an easy go to when you want to replace a grain in your meal (like rice or pasta).

My favorite thing was letting it cook out (allow it to develop those little tails). It's a bit time consuming...can take up to 35 minutes to cook properly. I stir fry tofu with garlic, parsley and onions. Add quinoa into it and continue to stir fry. It's a good base....love a bit of salt-free mrs. dash into it too. Top that with a serving of salmon and you have a protein jammed meal.
  • Caharleygirl
    Caharleygirl Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    love it....make sure you buy pre-rinsed or pre-washed quinoa if you don't want to have to rinse/wash it otherwise it can be kinda bitter :noway:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I love it, and even my non-dieting fiance is a fan! Our favourite is a pilaff made with shallots and mushrooms. It freezes really well and is a good one to reheat for lunch next day.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Yes pre-wash it, put it in a bowl and rub it together with your hands and rinse a few times.
    I found it in a Bulk Barn and at Costco. You will have to try the soup i made the other day when you get some. I will post the recipe when i get the chance. I use it instead of rice but it is higher in calories so i have to eat less because i have a limited calories right now.
  • sparkleconverse21
    Options
    Quinoa is primarily used in Indian dishes and is kind of like a rice. It is used by a lot of vegetarians- like me - to get extra protein without eating meat. It has a funny texture, personally I don't like it, but it may have been the dish it's in. It's also pretty flavorless like tofu. It will take the flavor of what you cook it in- like rice. I say go for it, but try different kind of recipies to get a full judgement on if you like it or not.
  • vancouveritegirl
    Options
    Quinoa is awesome, way tastier than brown rice and healthier. I made quinoa burgers last week.. so good! You can also use it in place of oatmeal in the morning :)
  • Richard170
    Richard170 Posts: 37
    Options
    From a nutrition standpoint quinoa is the king of grains. I truly like the taste and texture of bulgur more, but I save that for a once a week treat and try to cook quinoa several times for each time I indulge in bulgur.