Beginning a running program at 54. With no prior experience.

Options
I am 54. Have lost 170 lbs. I want to jog again like I did when I was 21. Is it to late. Need motivation from someone that does it. Thx

Replies

• Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and completed C25K about 3 weeks ago. It is not too late. In two years you will be 56. Think how good you will feel then with two years of running behind you :-)
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Just land more-so towards the front of your foot to absorb some shock with your calves. This will take some stress off your joints. I wouldn't say it's too late. I'd just take greater care to watch my step, to avoid spraining your ankle or falling. Kicking around a soccer ball is a good way to improve balance, coordination and stability. Making time to do some stretching will help with range of motion.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Its not too late to enjoy running. Google search the couch to 5K program, really solid program. You can also check out Galloway running for a walk jog strategy.
  • Lonestar5715
    Lonestar5715 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was 56 (now 59) and ran a 10k three weeks ago. I did it a lot like the guy above me. I began with walking fast almost every day of the week and then simply began running small distances and gradually stretched it out. I now run two or three times a week for 2 to 3 miles.

Oh yes, good shoes are important. Go to a shop where they can fit you and be prepared to pay a bunch but you will never regret it.

I would like to say I enjoy running but I don't. What I do enjoy is the feeling of accomplishment when I have finished a run and it has done wonders for my stamina and overall health. My resting heartbeat is 60. Running also boosts my self-confidence that I can do things I didn't think possible.

Best of luck to you and congratulations on losing so much weight, you have probably literally saved your life!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Definitely use c25k to get you started!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I personally know a 52 year old that does 16 mile Spartan Races up VT mountains.

Never too old. Just make sure you build up slowly to avoid injury. Maybe chat with a running coach to review form, etc.
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and just a couple of weeks into C25K after 18 months on an elliptical (and getting bored with it). I doubled the length of the workouts, but otherwise found the intervals about right. I just did my first 20 minute straight run on Wednesday and I am looking forward to increasing that today. In fact, I'm off to run now!

Go for it. The only thing holding you back is your belief that you can't do it. Just start as slow as you need to and build up progressively. You got this.
  • ttspncr
    ttspncr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    I personally know a 52 year old that does 16 mile Spartan Races up VT mountains.

Never too old. Just make sure you build up slowly to avoid injury. Maybe chat with a running coach to review form, etc.

This!! (and a couple of the others...) My doctor told me NOT to run. She to said to walk, swim, etc. She said that at my age (52), the meniscus in my knees is thin, and it would be easy to injure them (my knees). That having been said, if you have good shoes, and a good trainer, I think you will be fine. Good luck!! Activity is a good thing, IMHO :smiley:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ttspncr wrote: »
    I am 54. Have lost 170 lbs. I want to jog again like I did when I was 21. Is it to late. Need motivation from someone that does it. Thx

Probably not like when you were 21 but it's perfectly reasonable to start. I'd support the suggestion of using something like Couch to 5K to help get your capacity up whilst reducing your injury risk. The main thing you've got is that whilst CV capacity improves rapidly the connective tissues will take a bit more time to build up. As just above you're not in the body you had when you were 21, but it will improve.

I would suggest dedicated running shoes, although personally I'm not particularly hard over on gait analysis. As a complete novice your gait isn't settled anyway, so it's not adding much.

fwiw I'm 46, restarted running 4 years ago using C25K and now tend to do marathons and ultras.

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Slowly slowly slowly! You can do it, without getting injured, and may be in a better place than someone with existing bad habits. Pay close attention to your form and start out with walking, adding a little more running each time (like a couch to 5k plan, or first a couch-to-mile plan, then mile to 5k)

But at first run less and also slow down your speed. Stop before ANYTHING hurts. As someone else mentioned, staying to the front of your feet and pushing off, with a quick cadence and smaller steps, is usually safer.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I started running at 54 using C25k. I got overambitious and trained for a half marathon 6 months later and got injured. However, as soon as I was healed, I started over. I ran my first half at 57 and my first marathon at 58. I enjoy racing and because there aren't a lot of older women running in the local races, I get the fun of occasionally winning age group awards. I never thought that would happen, as I am not fast nor particularly athletic. I had been a walker and hiker for many years, but thought I couldn't run due to bad knees. Funny thing, the running actually helps my knees, by strengthening the muscles that support them.

Just start slow. If you have been a couch potato, start with walking 30-45 minutes a day. Then do a program like C25k and mix in some slow jogging. Keep your pace slow and easy and build the running gradually. Good luck.
  • ttspncr
    ttspncr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks everyone
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Another vote for c25k. Been walking/jogging on the treadmill for 3 months now but started it today.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in October at the age of 52. I have never run in my life. I completed it and was able to run for 30 minutes at the end. I do kind of feel like I'm dying for the last 5 minutes. No, I can't sing Happy Birthday either. Unfortunately, the good weather has gone south and I've been unable to get steady runs in (and it just isn't the same on the treadmill), but I do feel better about myself. I think it's a great, safe program to start out with. For me, there were some days that I felt it moved to fast and I never really "mastered" some of the run time.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Congrats on a terrific weight loss! That is a great motivation to start running.

I started running at 54 years old after losing 45 lbs. I'm now 59 and am active in both running and triathlon.

Lots of good suggestions have been posted above. Welcome to the running community!
  • bonoeuf
    bonoeuf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Use the c25k programme with a good pair of supporting shoes and you will be on your way. I am 60 and need all the support I can get, I use Hoka one one shoes used for ultra runs, they are like running with a mattress strapped to your foot. Take it slowly and you will be away, maybe not like you were at 21, but close enough. I did my first 5k parkrun Saturday past, great fun and no one cares if you have to walk.