Why I love C25K

Options
1. You get to surprise yourself every week!
2. Many other people have taken the exact same journey and you can look to their experiences for motivation and advice.
3. It's a simple, goal oriented program with many ways to follow it from apps to podcasts.
4. Outside of getting some good, properly fit shoes all you have to do is go and do it. No gyms to join and no others required.
5. When you finish, you will be a runner!

I finished C25K about three weeks ago and have continued running and building since. I am running 5Ks 3 times a week now and getting faster and fitter with the goal of signing up for a Disney 10K (Maybe half marathon) in 2017. Ok, so maybe the Disney goal is because my family loves Disney and it's an excuse for a trip, but hey!

I have never been a runner. I was the kid in gym class in high school who was last in the 12 minute run...every time. I started my weight loss journey 115 days ago with MFP and started walking as my main form of exercise. After losing about 30 pounds, I wanted to kick it up a notch and decided to try C25K. EVERY week I thought I could go no further. That despite every post I could find online saying that anyone can do it, maybe I was the exception. Seeing that next jump in time spent running as the program progressed literally caused me to lose sleep the night before but every week I tried and every week I succeeded. I'm now down 45 pounds as of this morning and wanted to share with anyone on the fence or in the process that C25K can be life changing.

Stick with the program. Slow down. Believe in the process and enjoy the results!

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I completed C25k in May, and I've continued to run since then. I love challenging myself to see what I can do. These days, an "easy" run is 5-6 miles, and my longest run so far has been 10 miles. I would love to get myself to half marathon distance in the spring.

The C25k program looks daunting at first, but it works. And you'll be so proud of yourself when you find out that you really CAN do it!
  • gremlinreb
    gremlinreb Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 5 at the moment. I tried it before but only got to week 3 day 3 so I'm pretty proud of myself for sticking with it this time! Every day is one more accomplishment and closer to my goal of completing it.

I'm going to do a charity 5k in April (charity is very close to my heart - assistance dogs for kids with autism) to motivate myself to keep going and work on doing 5k in 30 minutes or so :)
  • nakmom
    nakmom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner, I couldn't run for 1 minute before I started C25K. I've been stuck on Week 6 Day 3 for a week. I just can't seem to get past the mental block of running past the halfway mark. I know I can do it because I ran for 20 minutes a couple of weeks ago. I'm determined and I know I will get there. I'm planning on signing up for a local 5K in February and the Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon in November.