Intermittent fasting - thoughts?

2»

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited December 2016
    @blambo61 morning runner, thus my concern. I am used to running on an empty stomach. My concern would be after the run, not refueling, how that would affect the rest of the day.

You should have plenty of energy in the morning but it will make you hungrier sooner after you run than if you hadn't run (while fasting). I actually find that a run will kill my appetite for a couple of hours, even after a 19-hour fast. I think you will be fine for a couple of hours after your morning run and then you will get hungry. Let the hunger work on you a little and then eat. Sounds like a good plan to me! You should be able to make it tell lunch without eating and then you will probably be doing a 16:8 type of fast which has worked well for a lot of people. Give it a try and see how it works. One trick I use to get me to the end of my fast is if I'm getting really hungry, I will eat a little coconut oil and it satisfies my hunger, doesn't set me off on wanting to eat more, and only contributes about 50-100 calories. I can go another hour or so off of 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil. Also, fasting itself is an appetite suppressant and it is easier to fast than eat small meals (my experience).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2016
    @blambo61 morning runner, thus my concern. I am used to running on an empty stomach. My concern would be after the run, not refueling, how that would affect the rest of the day.

I have no issues running up to an hour (that's as long as my longest run because of joint issues) on an empty stomach without bonking. Blambo low carbs which might be why he bonks.

I don't low carb, and have plenty of glycogen for fasted morning runs. I am fine not eating for a very long time after those runs.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    blambo61 wrote: »

You should have plenty of energy in the morning but it will make you hungrier sooner after you run than if you hadn't run (while fasting). I actually find that a run will kill my appetite for a couple of hours, even after a 19-hour fast. I think you will be fine for a couple of hours after your morning run and then you will get hungry. Let the hunger work on you a little and then eat. Sounds like a good plan to me! You should be able to make it tell lunch without eating and then you will probably be doing a 16:8 type of fast which has worked well for a lot of people. Give it a try and see how it works. One trick I use to get me to the end of my fast is if I'm getting really hungry, I will eat a little coconut oil and it satisfies my hunger, doesn't set me off on wanting to eat more, and only contributes about 50-100 calories. I can go another hour or so off of 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil. Also, fasting itself is an appetite suppressant and it is easier to fast than eat small meals (my experience).

This is not true for me. I run around 7:00 in the morning and am fine until around 2;30 or 3:00 in the afternoon.
  • swartepiet2
    swartepiet2 Posts: 30 Member
    I do it occassionally when i feel the foods I've been eating are too toxic. To understand that sensation, you have to go vegetarian for a few months. Whats important is that you change your habits to a more healthy one, and that at the end, you feel a change strong enough to make a part of it permanent. I also fast occassionally to remind myself of how toxic (and intoxicating) food (actually, gluttony) can be.
  • _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    I try to stick with a 16:8. I eat my daily calories between 12pm and 8pm. It seemed the easiest for me because I typically skip breakfast anyway.

+1, I do this also!
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    didn't mean to hi-jack the post, but thanks for the input. Will give the 16:8 a shot, that might work. @GottaBurnEmAll na, low carb isn't the issue, its either the 12 mile run or the 7 mile speed work that kill me. I am usually good for a few hours but by lunch I am starving! lol
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    I have used both 5:2 and 14:10 IF. Both worked well for weight loss because they allow me to stay within my calorie allotment. However, the 5:2 was harder for me to maintain long term while a 14:10 protocol actually works with my natural hunger cues. I really wouldn't be able to comment on how it affects cholesterol.
  • blambo61
    edited December 2016

I have no issues running up to an hour (that's as long as my longest run because of joint issues) on an empty stomach without bonking. Blambo low carbs which might be why he bonks.

I don't low carb, and have plenty of glycogen for fasted morning runs. I am fine not eating for a very long time after those runs.

I've not been low carb, with the exception of this week, I usually topped off my eating by eating a desert. I also do not limit things like bread, potatoes, rices, fruit (no juices or very little, etc). What I'm trying now is low to no re-fined sugar. It will be interesting to see how I operate during exercise doing that (I'm just building back up after getting over some gout issues).

Also, all my runs were done at the end of about a 19-hour fast (4:00 p.m.) and were not done in the morning. I could have easily run for an hour in the morning without eating. I would get hungrier sooner running early though.
  • blambo61

This is not true for me. I run around 7:00 in the morning and am fine until around 2;30 or 3:00 in the afternoon.

Everyone is a little different. You won't know until you try. I'm hoping that by cutting sugar, I will be able to run a solid hour without any bonks. I will find out.

When I was in my late teens and early 20's, I ran track and cross country and I could barely manage a 5-mile easy morning run without eating a piece of toast before I ran (I would run later in the day also). My metabolism was sky-high then and I could and did force-feed myself all the time trying to gain weight but couldn't. I think I would burn through all my glycogen just from sleeping.
  • GottaBurnEmAll

Everyone is a little different. You won't know until you try. I'm hoping that by cutting sugar, I will be able to run a solid hour without any bonks. I will find out.

When I was in my late teens and early 20's, I ran track and cross country and I could barely manage a 5-mile easy morning run without eating a piece of toast before I ran (I would run later in the day also). My metabolism was sky-high then and I could and did force-feed myself all the time trying to gain weight but couldn't. I think I would burn through all my glycogen just from sleeping.

I have low carbed in the past. For 10 years. It's not for me, I didn't really find it sustainable, and that was without exercise.

I'm glad you're finding what works for you, though!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

This has been my concern -- would I be overly hungry if doing a morning run on a fast day. I have found doing religious fast days (different, since I try to do a total fast) that I get really hungry if I also exercise when I otherwise do not. A friend of mine does (and loves) 5:2, and runs in the morning daily and says that the first couple of weeks it was hard and afterwards she was fine.
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    I love IF. I usually eat my first meal of the day around 12:30pm and I stop eating by 8:30pm. I started doing this because I found that if I consistently ate in the morning I would feel sick to my stomach because I just wasn't hungry and forcing myself to eat every so many hours. Many times I would still go over my calorie goal. By waiting until I'm hungry, I stay within my calorie goal and stop eating when I am full. I also am a runner. I run at 5am for about and hour before I go to work on an empty stomach. After I workout I'm usually not hungry for many hours later. During my fasting time I do usually have a cup of coffee and plenty of water. I don't find that I feel like I'm going to "crash" during my fasting time even though I have worked out. I actually find that if I workout on a full stomach or eat right after a workout I feel more sluggish and ineffective.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This has been my concern -- would I be overly hungry if doing a morning run on a fast day. I have found doing religious fast days (different, since I try to do a total fast) that I get really hungry if I also exercise when I otherwise do not. A friend of mine does (and loves) 5:2, and runs in the morning daily and says that the first couple of weeks it was hard and afterwards she was fine.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I've dabbled with the idea of doing 5:2, and don't know if I could because of exercise either. I like running every morning, and am okay putting off eating, but I need a certain amount of calories every day. There are days I lift later on too. Additionally, I schedule longer runs on days I don't lift.

I just don't see how I could fit the whole thing in, much as I'd like to do it to shift the rest of this weight.
  • blambo61

I have low carbed in the past. For 10 years. It's not for me, I didn't really find it sustainable, and that was without exercise.

I'm glad you're finding what works for you, though!

Part of my previous comment was for the guy originally asking (the try it and see part) and wasn't meant for you. Sorry to both of you. I'm only going to give up mostly sugar for now, to see what it does weight-loss wise and also to see how it helps my gout situation. I'm not planning on giving up fruits, grains, and stuff like that. I think there is good micronutrients to be had there and also, I really like the stuff!
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    I have actually read several places that exercise doesn't lower your bad cholesterol, but it does lower your good levels. Food is the most important thing when it comes to lowering it. Beans are a great source, so I've been trying to eat more of those, which also helps keep me full if I am going to try IF. I'm thinking I may start with 16:8 and see how that goes first and then once I'm used to that, try to bump it up a little. I've already cut red meat and try to stay away from dairy and butter as much as possible. Hoping between all these changes, it will help!

Apple Cider Vinegar is supposed to help with Cholesterol.

No. This is woo.
  • blambo61
    I have actually read several places that exercise doesn't lower your bad cholesterol, but it does lower your good levels. Food is the most important thing when it comes to lowering it. Beans are a great source, so I've been trying to eat more of those, which also helps keep me full if I am going to try IF. I'm thinking I may start with 16:8 and see how that goes first and then once I'm used to that, try to bump it up a little. I've already cut red meat and try to stay away from dairy and butter as much as possible. Hoping between all these changes, it will help!

No. This is woo.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/the-benefits-of-vinegar-hormonal-obesity-xxviii/
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member

No. This is woo.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/the-benefits-of-vinegar-hormonal-obesity-xxviii/

Still no. ;)
  • blambo61

No. This is woo.

Still no. ;)

Your going to have to do better than that.
  • lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    edited December 2016
    I heard it was bad for females that it causes hormonal imbalances and weight retention
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    lady_ghost wrote: »
    I heard it was bad for females that it causes hormonal imbalances and weight retention

Where in the world did you hear that?

And why do people say "females", it's women. You use 'female' when you're talking about animals or anatomy.