Ideas for cheap make a head lunches?

Options
ElizIvory
ElizIvory Posts: 141 Member
I am back at this thing again and lately I've been drawing a blank on lunches for work.

I work where we have a fridge and microwave so that isn't an issue but I just can't seem to think of anything cost effective and healthy? I don't want to eat a sandwich every day, I need some variety and would like to make something for the BF too.

Ideas/recipes/links etc all welcome.

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Soup/chili

Tuna/salmon with some steamable veggies or fruit

Leftovers from dinner the night (or even two nights) before

Hardboiled eggs and veggies/fruit
  • ElizIvory
    ElizIvory Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The leftover thing is a tough one as we dont have them normally (currently I am living with 6 other people so when we cook dinner it is very very rare for their to be any leftovers) I like the idea of making some chicken in a crockpot. Any recommendations on how to make veggies more interesting for the boyfriend? He isn't a fan.
  • cambridgestylist
    cambridgestylist Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I eat soup for lunch everyday. It's low on the calories, satisfying and there is a huge variety easily available.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I like to cook a batch of dried beans at the beginning of the week. Then, for lunch I enjoy 1 cup of beans and I mix in 1/2 T each of flavored oil and vinegar. Cheap, easy and delicious!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    When we cook dinner, we usually cook double so that we have lunches for the next day...if not, sandwich or salad or something.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Soup/Chili/Stew. I make a big batch on Sundays and freeze it in individual portions.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    - Tuna with 1 T. mayo, half avocado and a sprinkle of salt and pepper
    - Perdue Chicken ShortCuts chopped with 1 T. mayo, celery and a sprinkle of salt and pepper
    - 1 c. cottage cheese with a tomato, half an avocado sprinkled with salt and pepper
    - Rice cake with 1 T. peanut butter, sunflower and pumpkin seeds and one sliced apple
    - 1/2 C. oats, 1 T. peanut butter, 1 T. cinnamon, 1 scoop protein powder and a banana or apple
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Cook some protein (roast chicken) and then a grain (brown rice) if you eat those and roast a crap ton of veg...My favorites are Broc. Cauliflower, Brussels and carrots. Layer a serving of grain, protein and 2 serving of veg and pour some veri veri teriyaki on top.

I keep everything g seperate and then combine in a container in the morning.
  • daisygirl2017
    daisygirl2017 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just made turkey tacos for lunches and turkey sliders
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Soup/Chili/Stew. I make a big batch on Sundays and freeze it in individual portions.

Same. I make curries and stir fries too, meatballs, meatloaf muffins, stuffed peppers, etc.

Cook, divide, freeze and pull out what you want in the morning before work.
  • staciaslp
    staciaslp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Slice of ham spread with whipped cream cheese and roll around asparagus spears. Can find marinated ones in jar at Costco.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Stir fry of chicken, veggies, and rice
    Grilled chicken salad
    Soup
    Stew
    Tacos with carbs balance tortillas and lean ground turkey or shredded chicken
    Grilled chicken and sweet potatoes
    Diced tomatoes and green chilies, swai fillets, rice, and creole seasoning
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Store bought bbq chicken - $10
    Store bought tub of mixed greens - $5
    Store bought microwaved minute rice (2) - $4

Shred the chicken and divide into 5 meals. Combine with salad and rice portioned into 5 meals. Does not get better and cheaper.

I love this idea! So simple, cheap, and why didn't I think of this! Thanks for the idea.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    ElizIvory wrote: »
    The leftover thing is a tough one as we dont have them normally (currently I am living with 6 other people so when we cook dinner it is very very rare for their to be any leftovers) I like the idea of making some chicken in a crockpot. Any recommendations on how to make veggies more interesting for the boyfriend? He isn't a fan.

-roasting vegies always makes them taste great! (even Brussel sprouts)
    -i'll often add lots of vegies to things like Bolognese or chili to bump up the vegie amount, and they kind of get hidden amongst the sauce. (we also make meatballs/burger patties, but add grated vegies. you can bake these in bulk and freeze them to use during the week)
    -cheese grated on top - a little parmesan goes a long way :)
    -use different spices.
    -add a little oil/butter
  • rmegant2221
    rmegant2221 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Salad!
  • twobirdperch
    twobirdperch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Chicken or Tuna Salad with multigrain crackers with a fruit or veggie.
    Oatmeal with walnuts and dried cinnamon apples, & maybe a banana.
    Turkey pinwheels and hummus with carrots or pretzel chips.
    Hard-boiled eggs with fruit and veggies.
    I really need to get back to packing lunch myself :( .. I used to decide on 2 of these combos and make it at the beginning of the week- I'd be able to prep enough for the work week as well as a weekend lunch or two..