sugar sugar sugar....it's all just sugar

Options
LivLovLrn
LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
cane juice, molasses, sucralose .....these are all forms of sugar cane. Yep!! My body cannot handle sugar cane and so it has been such a struggle finding ways to appease my sweet tooth. Sugar Free! is the claim, but when you get down to the nitty gritty of the ingredients, it just isn't true. Perhaps it is a different form, perhaps it is more processed, better hidden, but when it comes right down to it is still sugar. In fact many of the newer sugar substitutes are sugar cane in one form or another. Hey give the industry an "A" for creativity! But as for me, I will continue to search for a way to eat sweets without the cane!

Replies

• cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Can you have agave? You can find it at the health food store. It is natural and looks likes the consistency of honey.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Can you have agave? You can find it at the health food store. It is natural and looks likes the consistency of honey.

It's in most US supermarkets now, too. I've even seen it at Target.
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    How about Stevia? Is that still from cane. I thought it came from the leaves of a plant... I use it. It has a different after taste at first but I only use it in my coffee so most of that is masked.
  • bikerb422
    bikerb422 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Stevia is just from the stevia plant. It is great for diabetics. I use it all the time now. I have found that the KAL brand is the best tasting. I buy it in it's pure form.
  • LivLovLrn
    Options
    I use sorghum, honey, and maple sugar mostly. I tried using Stevia but it is difficult to use (in my opinion) and I don't care for the aftertaste. I have tried Agave, but it is a little spendy for me
  • melaniekassab
    melaniekassab Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Agave nectar is great! Be very careful of all those artificial sweetners...I lost 50lbs and consumed a lot of them in my "diet" foods. After a couple years of consumption I became very ill and took a year to recover from the damage.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Agave nectar is just another processed sugar. It isn't "better" for you. It's junk.
  • bikerb422
    bikerb422 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Stevia is not an artificial sweetener. It is the leaf of the stevia plant and water. That is it. Natural as can be.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    How about Stevia? Is that still from cane. I thought it came from the leaves of a plant... I use it. It has a different after taste at first but I only use it in my coffee so most of that is masked.

I have a Stevia plant, it seems to be sweeter than sugar, I only tried it once with some peppermint plant that Im growing also. It was very nice I really don't add sugar sugar to anything
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I do eat the zero calorie Splenda (sucralose I think) (in moderation) with my Walden farms toppings (strawberry syrup, chocolate syrup and maple syrup) But it's pretty moderated....I haven't found it to affect me yet.

Mostly, I stick to Stevia like the other guy said (when I can) or pure sugar (If I have the calories for it on a rare treat like tomorrow is hubby's bday)

Can't get more natural than Stevia!!!

Also, side topic for chocolate cravings...this sounds nuts but there's a bottled water bev called MetroMint...It has 'essense' but no 'artifical' sweetener in it...there is a chocolate mint flavored one and it's not half bad :) It's also very refreshing
  • takemeaway10
    Options
    Out of curiosity... what do you mean, "your body can't handle sugar?" Do you avoid fruit? Carrots? Milk?
  • LivLovLrn
    Options
    What I mean is it can't handle sugar cane. When I get even a little (hidden in a food) I get symptoms immediately. There is a long list of things that start happening if I eat it, so suffice to say I notice easily when I've gotten some sugar on accident.