Weight gain from mental illness

Options
Hi all, I am excited to be here!

I have lost weight successfully many times and would keep it off long-term (years), but because I have a mental illness I tend to gain the weight back (and then some) any time my mental health takes a dive. I work with a psychiatrist and overall have it under control, but every few years it seems I have a crisis.

The latest crisis was just this summer June 2016, where I gained 35 pounds within 6 months. I am just recently feeling better and trying to get motivated to get fit again.

I found having community support works best for me when losing weight, but I live in a city away from all my friends and family and struggle to make friends. I'm hoping this online community helps me stay motivated and meet my goals!

I'm looking forward to getting to know everybody and working toward our goals together!

Replies

• brandta4
    brandta4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I struggle with mental illness as a link with weight gain as well. I find myself fifty pounds heavier than I was a year ago, and I'm struggling to lose the pounds.

It's encouraging that you have successfully lost before. What has kept you motivated and or of the slumps?
  • Caper1972
    Caper1972 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are going through. I am just starting my journey to lose 30lbs and to get in shape. I often find it difficult to get motivated to excercise. Please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • kmcgrad
    kmcgrad Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to this. Mental health is crucial to success with weight loss, at least for me! I struggle with it too and have for a while. Feel free to add me!
  • IlanaKersch
    IlanaKersch Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I can relate to having a mental illness and how it effects my physical health and weight loss or gain. It can be such a painful, lonely journey. I also see a psychiatrist and have dealt with issues for many years now. I don't share it with very many people. It helps to know I am not alone.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    We're here to help! Welcome!
  • Warriormonk73
    Warriormonk73 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yep, I know how that can feel, I struggle to get that monkey off my back 8 years ago. You can do it!
  • aleahurst
    aleahurst Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Wow, we do struggle. I have a mental illness and a neurological syndrome. You have a great attitude!
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    glad you are hear. that alone is a great start! be gentle with yourself, and take it slowly. friends help keep you accountable and any exercise will make you feel better. best wishes and hoping pounds melt away!
  • rainbowpuddles
    rainbowpuddles Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    brandta4 wrote: »
    Hi!

I struggle with mental illness as a link with weight gain as well. I find myself fifty pounds heavier than I was a year ago, and I'm struggling to lose the pounds.

It's encouraging that you have successfully lost before. What has kept you motivated and or of the slumps?

Hi, sorry I just realized I can locate my discussions on here! Otherwise I would have responded sooner!

For me, it's realizing I have to receive help. I need to see my therapist, I need to see my counselor, and I need to be honest with them so I can get the proper treatment. I also need to be honest with myself that I need to take it easy. Typically I have a long, silent struggle with myself until I give in and admit to someone I need more help. That's usually when I get better.

When I'm absolutely in the depths of despair, though, there is no talking myself into working out or eating healthy. My body basically goes into survival mode. Only once I get help things get better.

Some stuff I do daily: meditate (I listen to meditation apps, I could never quiet my brain down on my own!), progressive muscle relaxation, aromatherapy (I love lavender), I listen to relaxation station on Pandora, I drink herbal tea (caffeine makes me worse!), take hot showers or baths (heat really calms me), and if I'm more anxious than depressed walking helps. If I'm depressed I give myself permission to lie in bed with my favorite blankets (I like the feeling of heavy blankets on top of me, calms me).

I hope some of that helps!