Unhealthy obsession with the scale.

Options
I've lost over half my body weight--that was the easy part. I've been trying to maintain for about a year now. I've been generally successful with maintaining, but in the process, developed an unhealthy obsession with the scale.

I noticed I was weighing myself everyday and allowing my number to dictate my mood for the day. About two weeks ago, I had my husband hide the scale. The last two days I had been feeling really good about my body and weight so I decided to weigh myself--bad move. My weight is up about 8 pounds. I went from feeling great to absolutely devestated.

I know I should ditch the scale and just go with how I feel and how my clothes fit, but it's really difficult.

If you were scale obsessed, how did you get past it?

Replies

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    My scale lives at my mums house. She lets me visit it once a month. So I kinda cheated lol.
    I would suggest investing in a tape measure. Ooh and progress photos. These are much better at showing progress.

Plus remember that a scale can only tell you the numerical value of the earths gravitational pull. It can't tell you how pretty your hair looks. It can't tell you how much everyone around you loves you and it especially can't tell you that you are an amazing person.
  • FindingCynSporation
    Options
    I wish I knew what to say here. I wish there was a simple, easy answer that would solve this problem for you, but unfortunately, like any unhealthy habit, it takes a little bit of time and a lot of effort to break it. I learned that a little variance in the scale is OK. I still weigh myself pretty much every day, but I focus on how I feel in my clothes and how my body looks/my confidence rather than a number. If the number is a little higher than what I was hoping for, I use a bit more restraint during the day and watch what I eat, I try to drink as much extra water as I can, and I try not to eat super late. Those are the tips that work for me. A number on the scale is not what defines you. You're so much more than a number. Focus on your strengths, look at how far you've come! And remind yourself that the scale won't always stay at one number. You have the tools to lose it and maintain it - you've already proven that!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    My husband can weigh himself every day and be okay with it. I, on the other hand, absolutely cannot. It drives me crazy to get on there every day and have it up/down based on who knows what - salt intake, water intake, if you haven't pooped yet today....whatever.

My weigh in day is usually Monday's. I only allow myself to get on the scale either Sunday or Monday. Lately it's been Fridays...but still...only on weigh-day.

Meanwhile- you could set something up to only weigh at the gym or your mothers house or doctors office. Somewhere other than at home. Then take a sledge hammer and destroy the one you have so you don't have to worry about it. :)
  • JimJamgetsfit
    JimJamgetsfit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I need to weigh myself everyday or my weight is out of site out of mind. I gained 10lbs when my scale ran out of batteries because I had nothing to remind me that I need to focus on my weight.(I wasnt counting cals at the time). It's motivational for me. My wife is the complete opposite.
  • treecroz
    treecroz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh in once a week, just so that I don't get obsessed with the scale. I do have a feeling that most are in the same boat. I have not got to my goal weight, but feel good about how my body looks and feels. What I would like to know is when would you know that you are gaining muscle weight rather than fat weight?
  • mactaffy428
    mactaffy428 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The National Weight Registry says that people who are most successful at maintaining weight loss weigh themselves every day. This does seems like a lot to me and if you are one who obsesses over what the scale says, it can be hard. Maybe try once or twice a week?
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is really anything "unhealthy" about it, however, how you approach your attitude towards it could be unhealthy. Remember, attitude (mood) is a choice. I, also, am obsessed with my scale. The only difference is, I have learned what causes the fluctuations and accept the challenge on how to correct it (or not).
  • Trendline15
    Trendline15 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, sometimes several times per day, and I don't feel like it's an obsession for me. Weighing myself every day is just part of my morning routine. I've been advised by health professionals that one weighing per week is enough. My fear is that, over the course of one week, that my weight could "spike" up out of control, and I wouldn't know about it. Sometimes, I am disappointed, if I my weight is the same, or I haven't lost anything. But, it's not a big deal. Life goes on. I can always try to be better today. :smiley:
  • NeuronsNeuronsNeurons
    Options
    I don't think the issue is the scale, it's you assigning so much value to your weight likely in part driven by an unhealthy fear that you'll regain. If you're healthy and feeling good you are the correct weight. If not, lose a few pounds. Why did you arbitrarily decide that 8lbs less was the "correct" number? The correct number is an internal indicator and it's not found on a scale.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    ericaconti wrote: »
    I've lost over half my body weight--that was the easy part. I've been trying to maintain for about a year now. I've been generally successful with maintaining, but in the process, developed an unhealthy obsession with the scale.

I noticed I was weighing myself everyday and allowing my number to dictate my mood for the day. About two weeks ago, I had my husband hide the scale. The last two days I had been feeling really good about my body and weight so I decided to weigh myself--bad move. My weight is up about 8 pounds. I went from feeling great to absolutely devestated.

I know I should ditch the scale and just go with how I feel and how my clothes fit, but it's really difficult.

If you were scale obsessed, how did you get past it?
    Read this:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • becca_rup23
    becca_rup23 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, because if I don't I'm not paying as much attention to what I eat/exercise. But I only log about once a week, and that helps me be less obsessive about it, since it's more just for my own information than anything.