Why do people say nutrition is a secondary issue

Options
I've seen so many posts where people say nutrition is a secondary issue to weight loss. I don't understand why. If people want to lose weight, isn't the reason to be healthy? How can you be healthy if you lose weight by eating Twinkies? Yes, I know the whole CICO argument, that you can lose weight eating anything you want. But why would you want to do that? Don't get me wrong, I have my bit of chocolate; however, i think the quality of food that one eats is going to play a major part of weight loss. Refined carbs can cause an insulin spike which promotes fat storage which seems that it can change parameters for that whole CICO argument. It seems that, perhaps, we are learning that a calorie is not, perhaps, a calorie. I guess what I don't understand is that some people want help in making their diets more nutritious and people come back with the whole "you can eat anything to lose weight, nutrition is secondary". It seems very short sighted to me. I think we are learning just how much the quality of food matters in weight loss (not to mention health). I'd just like to know what others might think.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No, that is not what people are saying. People are saying that to lose weight, all you need is a sustained calorie deficit. You could eat only Twinkies and lose weight. Nobody is saying that you should do that, and it's highly doubtful that you can. To be able to sustain a calorie deficit, you'll want to feel satisfied and energetic, and an all-Twinkie diet would make you feel hungry, hangry, and miserable. But you could, if you wanted to and didn't mind feeling hungry, hangry, and miserable.

Fat storage in a calorie deficit is something I choose to not take seriously.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    I've seen so many posts where people say nutrition is a secondary issue to weight loss. I don't understand why. If people want to lose weight, isn't the reason to be healthy? How can you be healthy if you lose weight by eating Twinkies? Yes, I know the whole CICO argument, that you can lose weight eating anything you want. But why would you want to do that? Don't get me wrong, I have my bit of chocolate; however, i think the quality of food that one eats is going to play a major part of weight loss. Refined carbs can cause an insulin spike which promotes fat storage which seems that it can change parameters for that whole CICO argument. It seems that, perhaps, we are learning that a calorie is not, perhaps, a calorie. I guess what I don't understand is that some people want help in making their diets more nutritious and people come back with the whole "you can eat anything to lose weight, nutrition is secondary". It seems very short sighted to me. I think we are learning just how much the quality of food matters in weight loss (not to mention health). I'd just like to know what others might think.
    If quality of food is what really mattered as much as you'd like to think in weight loss/gain/maintenance, then prison inmates should have an obesity issue. They have the lowest quality of food at a cost of $4 a day for 3 meals. Thing is they eat portioned controlled "bad" food, which is why there isn't an obesity issue in the prison population.
    It makes sense to eat more nutritious from a health standpoint, but weight loss comes down to CICO. Especially with people who have lots to lose.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is integral to weight loss. For MOST people, but certainly not some of heros here, the most successful way to stay within a restricted calorie goal is to eat nutritious statisfying food BECAUSE proper nutrition helps reduce cravings, improve satiety, and contribute to energy. If someone has cravings, hunger, and fatigue, they are much more likely to overeat.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Because people have different goals.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Grr, I forgot the other part :D The reason for answers like this, is that a lot of people come in here with a lot of random food rules that overwhelm them and prevents them from reaching their goals. To cut to the basics is supposed be helpful (it was for me) and take away a lot of anxiety of not "doing it right". But of course, there is always a risk of misunderstanding the message :p

This is a good way to explain it.

Another thing is that most of the "nutrition" discussions here end up being about one "diet" or another, when there's no reason to think doing those specific diets is the same as good nutrition (which is much easier and doesn't require that one go from insane amounts of junk food to none ever, which is often what newbies seem to think).

And, interestingly, most of the talk about why some specific diet is nutritionally superior ignore that in addition to just losing weight the most important thing you can do for your health is get active.
  • NeuronsNeuronsNeurons
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Nutrition is integral to weight loss. For MOST people, but certainly not some of heros here, the most successful way to stay within a restricted calorie goal is to eat nutritious statisfying food BECAUSE proper nutrition helps reduce cravings, improve satiety, and contribute to energy. If someone has cravings, hunger, and fatigue, they are much more likely to overeat.

This^^^ with that said, I find it useful to learn to eat treats in moderation as well. There's no way I could maintain a religious diet for longer than 3 months, that would be insanely boring. A twinkie is only 135-150 calories per cake, that's well within the confines of a balanced 2,000 calorie diet. I'd rather have a Skinny Cow Ice Cream sandwich as my treat for the day but to each their own!