Over doing it.

Options
Unfortunately through a long slide into a poor lifestyle, a battle with agoraphobia and then a medication change that made me balloon over the course of two months I found myself at 273 and 5'6. I have never in my life been this heavy.

I have already lost 12 pounds (yay!), but by yesterday I felt really sluggish and under the weather.

My exercise has simply been walking. My endurance sucks, but I used to run long distance, so I have a good idea of how to improve it by going a set distance at a comfortable speed and taking rests. Unfortunately I have been having problems with my legs cramping up so I took yesterday off other than a very slow walk with my dog. I also treated myself to a slice of pizza and handful of m&ms and I feel much better today.

My dieting hasn't been crazy, I have been following the general nutritional guidelines and using my exercise calories. I go a little over on fat and protein and stay a little under on my carbs and sugar. I am eating very sensibly.

It's so frustrating to start out at this weight. I used to gain some weight and just up my dog walks to 5 miles without even thinking about it. Hell, at one point in my life I would go out and run 8-10 miles. I was never skinny but I was very fit.

So starting off slow is pissing me off. I go out to walk and when I work up the pace a little my legs cramp up and I can' breathe. I just can't wait to get some more of this weight off so I can be more active.

Anyone else hitting this kind of wall? Yesterday felt like I had overtrained, and all I have been doing is walking. My comfortable walking pace used to be 3 miles an hour no problem, and I could walk forever. Now if I hit 2.5 miles an hour and sustain it for a half hour it feels like hard exercise.

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately through a long slide into a poor lifestyle, a battle with agoraphobia and then a medication change that made me balloon over the course of two months I found myself at 273 and 5'6. I have never in my life been this heavy.

I have already lost 12 pounds (yay!), but by yesterday I felt really sluggish and under the weather.

My exercise has simply been walking. My endurance sucks, but I used to run long distance, so I have a good idea of how to improve it by going a set distance at a comfortable speed and taking rests. Unfortunately I have been having problems with my legs cramping up so I took yesterday off other than a very slow walk with my dog. I also treated myself to a slice of pizza and handful of m&ms and I feel much better today.

My dieting hasn't been crazy, I have been following the general nutritional guidelines and using my exercise calories. I go a little over on fat and protein and stay a little under on my carbs and sugar. I am eating very sensibly.

It's so frustrating to start out at this weight. I used to gain some weight and just up my dog walks to 5 miles without even thinking about it. Hell, at one point in my life I would go out and run 8-10 miles. I was never skinny but I was very fit.

So starting off slow is pissing me off. I go out to walk and when I work up the pace a little my legs cramp up and I can' breathe. I just can't wait to get some more of this weight off so I can be more active.

Anyone else hitting this kind of wall? Yesterday felt like I had overtrained, and all I have been doing is walking. My comfortable walking pace used to be 3 miles an hour no problem, and I could walk forever. Now if I hit 2.5 miles an hour and sustain it for a half hour it feels like hard exercise.

It felt like hard exercise because - at your current weight - it *is* hard exercise. ;)

Be patient and persistent. You will get there.

I started out at 250 lbs. I could barely lap the couch. Gradually increased the amount I walked each day, along with adhering to a sensible calorie deficit. The weight came off - 75lbs in a year - and I reached my goal weight.

That was a year ago, and I've been in maintenance mode ever since.

You've got this. One step at a time. :)

• hobbesla4
    hobbesla4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It probably took a long time for you to be the current weight that you are now. So don't expect that it will magically disappear. Some weeks, you may not lose any weight at all. But as long as you are making changes that will make you a healthier person, that is what counts. A good start besides exercising might be cleaning out your refrigerator and cupboards. Get rid of junky type foods at your house (chips, candy, soda, snack cakes, etc.) Focus on eating lots of vegetables and lean protein. Also, make sure that you are getting plenty of sleep at night. Best of luck to you. You can do it!
  • cambridgestylist
    cambridgestylist Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think I figured out what I was doing wrong. In order to get a good walk in I have to walk slower than my natural stride I just walked my dog for an hour at a pace of 2.5 and my legs weren't cramping up. This pace is slow enough for me that I had to remain mindful through the whole walk, it's not a terrible thing to deal with.

I have a long road ahead. By spring I will be back to speed walking, and maybe even running by next fall.