Losing my mind and shoveling food in

Options
Most of the time I am decent. Eat a balanced meal and log it in MyFitnessPal.

From time to time I lose my mind. My brain shuts off and I eat.... adding and extra 1,000 calories for the day. I don't need the food. Not really hungry. It just tastes good and I can't stop my self.

Any suggestion on how to change this habit?

Replies

• DarthScabrous
    DarthScabrous Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Where is this food you eat?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What is your daily intake amount? Your deficit daily? Your calorie burn?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Sounds like mindless eating. Find something elso to do--go for a walk, a bike ride, etc. You need a strategy ready for when it happens. Movement is best.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Perhaps there's something in this thread that will be useful to you..

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10493445/what-to-do-when-you-have-a-binge-attack
  • lsulit
    lsulit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that
  • marista228
    marista228 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "find something else to do". If you are home - get out of the house. Go for a walk or a drive - do anything for about 20 minutes to get your mind off it. Sometimes, I drink a TON of water in a really short amount of time. It makes me uncomfortable and the last thing I want to do is eat. Hang in there! A cheat day once in a while is not going to make or break you.
  • imgritz
    imgritz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'll try the tips.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    imgritz wrote: »

From time to time I lose my mind. My brain shuts off and I eat.... adding and extra 1,000 calories for the day. I don't need the food. Not really hungry. It just tastes good and I can't stop my self.

Are you going over your weekly calorie limit? You might still be in a calorie deficit overall.

Have you been eating too little while trying to lose weight?
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Are you going over your weekly calorie limit? You might still be in a calorie deficit overall.

I think most would still agree that it's counter productive. There's plenty of people out there that subscribe to the cheat day mentality and wonder why their fitness goals don't materialize. Having a binge day EASILY can undo a weeks worth of hard work. Plus that sort of behavior isn't very healthy to begin with. He should figure out WHY he does this and find things to do fill that void instead of eating.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    atjays wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »

I think most would still agree that it's counter productive. There's plenty of people out there that subscribe to the cheat day mentality and wonder why their fitness goals don't materialize. Having a binge day EASILY can undo a weeks worth of hard work. Plus that sort of behavior isn't very healthy to begin with. He should figure out WHY he does this and find things to do fill that void instead of eating.

I agree, hence my second question which you cut out for some reason.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Weird trick but I do it for big meetings where there's tables of food. I wear a rubber band on my wrist and then tell myself to lightly snap it before i choose a food. Slowing my roll to consciously snap it forces an awareness. Try it. Simple, hidden, effective for me. :)
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I don't keep foods in my home that I know I will binge on. If you will do this with any food this won't help you, but if there are certain foods you find you have this problem with...I wouldn't keep those in my home.
  • Eleniala
    Eleniala Posts: 87 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    imgritz wrote: »

Make it NOT taste good by brushing your teeth with lots of strong-flavored toothpaste. I tend to snack unnecessarily while watching TV at night. I made it a point to have my last meal of the day and ONE snack/treat, and then immediately brush my teeth. With that strong minty taste in my mouth NOTHING tastes good anymore. This might work for you.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    My go-to is sugarless gum. Keeps my mouth busy. :)
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    One thing I read has stuck with me, and I try to use it myself. Before you start eating you have to HALT and ask yourself if you're either

Hungry
    Angry
    Lonely
    Tired

Usually it's one of those things that is the motivating factor behind the overeating.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I made a 100% commitment to log every single thing I eat regardless of how it fits in my calorie goals. That keeps most of the mindless eating under control for me.
  • Eleniala
    Eleniala Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    One thing I read has stuck with me, and I try to use it myself. Before you start eating you have to HALT and ask yourself if you're either

Hungry
    Angry
    Lonely
    Tired

Usually it's one of those things that is the motivating factor behind the overeating.

But does knowing why you want to eat make you stop eating?
  • candythorns
    candythorns Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    What are some hobbies you can do? I find I eat the most when I'm bored.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options

[/quote]

[/quote]

This. As a compulsive binge eater I have to agree. I was in control of my eating for around 4 months. I let one weekend go to hell. It, emotionally, undid all my work and I quickly fell back into impulse eating (mindless eating) and gained 50 lbs very quickly. I can see if you are not eating enough and want to add something into your diet but the mindless thing is something more serious. I still haven't found all all my "whys" and need therapy for it, haha.