Non banana smoothies

Options
Alendralouise
Alendralouise Posts: 116 Member
Sadly I believe bananas belong in the devil's pantry (don't be cross, I'm disappointed).
Please could you recommend a non-banana smoothie, perhaps with avocado, and no added sweet stuff? Grateful for combinations that actually work well, as I basically know what to put in the blender, but I'm not sure they're tasting as well as they could... I'll add my unflavoured protein powder..
Thanks, champions.

Replies

• MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I'm anti-banana as well, also disappointed. I use frozen mango to thicken up my smoothies, seems to go well with anything I put in (frozen fruit, yogurt). Not sure if that counts as added sweet stuff.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,661 Member
    Options
    Watermelon, mango, pineapple.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Sadly I believe bananas belong in the devil's pantry (don't be cross, I'm disappointed).
    Please could you recommend a non-banana smoothie, perhaps with avocado, and no added sweet stuff? Grateful for combinations that actually work well, as I basically know what to put in the blender, but I'm not sure they're tasting as well as they could... I'll add my unflavoured protein powder..
    Thanks, champions.
    1. Don't add banana
    2. Add avocado

Sorry, couldn't resist! I just lob whatever is around into my smoothies, along with spinach and water. When I first got my Vitamix I tried different recipes that I found on the web (Pinterest has a gazillion of 'em!), but that made a simple task more convoluted so yeah, now I just chuck in whatever is around. I keep bags of frozen fruit in the freezer for this. If you add the ingredients to your food diary as you go you can see if you're hitting any of your goals for that meal/day/week - I sometimes add protein powder if it looks like I'm going to be under for that day.

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I can't stand bananas, so when I make smoothies I blend in Greek yogurt or silken tofu to help thicken it up for a similar texture. I like frozen berries or mango puree in mine, I know lots of people throw in spinach as well. Peanut butter and chocolate protein is good if you have enough calories for a good bit of peanut butter (Otherwise use a peanut powder like PB2, never tried it but I hear it's nice in smoothies). I once made one with milk, cottage cheese, ice, protein powder, cocoa powder, and sugar free instant pudding and I thought it was awesome. It's more of a milkshake than a smoothie at that point though!
  • carriestephens1
    carriestephens1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My favourite smoothie is made with a vanilla premier protein shake, nescafe espresso powder, 2 cubes of frozen spinach, canned pumpkin puree, 1 tsp of cinnamon & a bit of stevia to sweeten. Occasionally I will add cottage cheese or frozen avocado chunks as well if i am feeling hungry :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I usually do frozen blueberries (raspberry if you want less sugar), flax seeds, coconut/almond silk, and protein powder. Maybe some greens (kale, spinach) if we have them.

You can put anything in a smoothie. I'm not keen on bananas either. They have to be really green.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is what I usually use, though I've also seen people suggest cottage cheese. Never tried that myself though.
  • GemFromJannah
    GemFromJannah Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Blended cashew nuts make a thick creamy consistency, add with a bit of coconut milk, some fruit and maybe spinach
  • kathydonald27
    kathydonald27 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I drink Herbalife shakes ! Great meal replacement ! Lost 15 pounds !
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I drink Herbalife shakes ! Great meal replacement ! Lost 15 pounds !

Nah.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Avocado, blueberry's & chocolate protein powder
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I like bananas, but rarely put them in smoothies.

A few ones I've enjoyed:

Frozen strawberries, avocado, plain protein powder, spinach, low fat greek yogurt or some other dairy (I have been using goat's milk yogurt a lot, but that might be me).

Frozen strawberries (or other berries), roasted (and chilled) winter squash, homemade nutmilk (the storebought stuff is fine too, but the homemade stuff has the fat from the nuts, which is a plus), spinach (or kale or other greens), green pepper (I like the bite of this, I get some might find it weird), and the plain protein powder.

For a sweeter summer one: cucumber, watermelon (or other melon), strawberries (yeah, I'm obsessed, again, other berries are fine), kale (or other greens), nutmilk, protein powder.

Another summer favorite (I basically used whatever fruit was in season): peach, pear, summer squash, green pepper, spinach (or other green), yogurt (with fat), protein powder.

With these I would also sometimes use zucchini or cauliflower, choose my dairy based on how much protein and fat I wanted, and -- highly recommended -- use herbs that would on hand and seemed likely to go. Lots of sage, mint, anise hyssop, dill, occasional cilantro. I'd also sometimes add a peanut powder if not using a nut milk.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    +1 for frozen mangos as a smoothie thickener.