Butternut Squash and Grape Fruit

Options
Hello!!

this is a question for all you cooks out there...:) how would you prepare a butternut squash?...and what about grapefruit?

I got the butternut squash as a 'try me' veggie..I'm going ot try and make it tonight with pork chops :)

The grape fruit?...that was an opps buy! They were mixed in with the oranges..and well...opps! lol :) Great to try something new..right? :)

Replies

• szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    Idk what to put on grapefruit that's healthy, we use to put sugar on it. But so yummy.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Butterfly the squash and season it and bake it in the oven.

Or sautee it lightly and cook it on the stove top.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash:
    Peel the outside, slice it lengthwise, take out the seeds, then cube or dice. Toss it with some olive oil and herbs/seasonings that you like and roast in the oven for 20-40 minutes depending on the size of the pieces you cut.

Grapefruit:
    slice in half and sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon, and cloves...stick it under the broiler until the sugar bubbles. This is a great dessert and fairly low cal depending on how much sugar you add.
  • dhwatts
    dhwatts Posts: 32
    Options
    love grapefruit, I am diabetic, so I usually use splenda on mine, it is just as yummy as with sugar to me and a lot easier on my GI
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash is great if you just bake it. You can throw in some butter/brown sugar if you want, but it's healthier and just as tasty plain.

I've also baked it and then mixed it with ground turkey and rice -- similar to a stuffed green pepper.

Grapefruits I always eat just plain. :) Or if the taste is too strong, you can cut them up into a fresh fruit salad with other citrus fruits and melon.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I like my butternut squashed diced, nuked, and then sprinkled with Mrs. Dash Carribean Spice. :wink:
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    steam the butternut squash and cut the grapefruit and ENJOY!!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I cook my butternut squash by slicing it in half, skin on and scooping out the pulp, sprinkling a little salt and pepper and drizzling a little olive oil and baking for about an hour until tender and then scooping it out of the shell.

Grapefruit, I have nooo idea.. My acid reflux med strictly says not to eat grapefruit with it on the bottle so I guess I shouldn't lol
  • riverh2
    riverh2 Posts: 6
    Options
    I don't know where this will stand on the calorie front but butternut squash is great with a bit of bacon and then made into a pasta bake :)
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash:
    Peel the outside, slice it lengthwise, take out the seeds, then cube or dice. Toss it with some olive oil and herbs/seasonings that you like and roast in the oven for 20-40 minutes depending on the size of the pieces you cut.

This is what I do! As for the grapefruit, give it to the cat. Bleh.