Substituting white flour in baking

Options
I am currently trying to eat more 'clean foods'. I enjoy baking for myself and my family and am looking for ways to make what I cook more nutritious and healthy. Has anyone got any experience in substituting white flour when baking? What do you substitute it with and is it in the same quantity as the white flour would have been? Does it affect the cooking time?

Replies

• apmemo
    apmemo Posts: 43
    Options
    I'm not the biggest (or best) baker, but I've used black beans in brownies instead of flour and they were not bad! Just google "black bean brownies" for a recipe. I've also heard of people using dry milk or almond flour instead of regular flour.
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    There are some good sites that tell you conversions from white to other types of flour. (Rice, barley, oat, corn etc) Just try a simple google search to see what you can find. I have tried using straight oat flour instead of white/wheat flour but got crumbly results even if I reduced the amount (product seems too dry). I have better results by using half oat and half white flour in breads, cookies and cakes.

The other thing I changed was not using white sugar but honey instead. Honey is twice a sweet as sugar so you only need half the amount the recipe calls for. The only problem is I can't get a crunchy cookie, all cookies come out soft. All delicious, texture is a personal choice.

Good luck!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    This isn't really a substitution, but if you are going to use "regular" flour, King Arthur unbleached all-purpose flour is excellent.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Blanched almond flour/meal! It's great for cookies and crispy type items.
    Otherwise, a great combination is a flour mix of: tapioca flour (low in cals, makes spongier items), brown rice flour, and garbanzo bean flour. You might need a little xanthan gum to add to your mix but those are great together!