Looking for a buddy or two (or more!) - kicking binge eating for good

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to the MFP community, but it seems like such a positive supportive environment!
I have been struggling for about a year now with consistent binge eating, which leaves me feeling (predictably) awful about myself and fearful that there is no way to break the habit. I believe it started about 2 years ago, when I wanted to lose around 15 pounds and did so via the Paleo diet. Through the restrictive nature of the diet and working out, I saw great results....and now I have gained it all back and then some. After about a year of Paleo, I started to binge...mostly at night after dinner. It's a terrifying mode to be in because it feels COMPLETELY separate from my more rational side....it's like I'm watching myself do it from the outside, wanting to stop but unable to control some baser instinct to keep eating, well beyond when I'm full.

I'm looking for others who have experienced this same thing, who are working on overcoming it, or who are just kind and sympathetic and willing to offer words of support as I start today to break the bingeing cycle. I was hoping to be able to message someone when I'm feeling a binge coming on, and also to keep track of progress with a buddy or two (or more!).

This community has already made me feel more comfortable, knowing that my story will be received without judgment. I look forward to getting to know some of you!

Replies

• DCRunnerGirl78
    DCRunnerGirl78 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Same boat here! Food to know I'm not alone. Please feel free to add me as a friend on here. I need support and motivation as I just seem to be moving further down this path.
  • efoleo
    efoleo Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Add me pls! SAme boat....except i have struggled since adolescence
  • Skillet007
    Skillet007 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Add me! I have been binging my whole life even though I didn't know I had a problem until I lost 100 lbs this year. I'm trying to fight it and work with it, but it's tough.
  • annobrien6175
    annobrien6175 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I suffer from.binge eating two add me please anyone that wants to
  • hannah_978
    hannah_978 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I struggled with it for years. It is a difficult habit to break and everyone is going to find something different that resonates with them, but what really helped me was the book "Brain Over Binge." While the author is bulimic, which is something I've never dealt with, how she talks about her bingeing habits really stuck with me. From what I remember (I read it a few years ago) is that she talks a lot about habit forming and the chemical changes that happen in your brain when you're bingeing, especially after a period of deprival. It's a mental urge that needs to be recognized but not acted on, which I know is easier said than done. I still overeat and eat past when I'm full sometimes, but it's different. I don't feel that disconnect or lack of control anymore. So I guess for me, it was a combination of reading and listening to other people's stories about bingeing and just trying again and again. I don't think I could put a date on when I finally stopped but it was just more of a gradual fade until I was no longer bingeing anymore.
  • SaffronMonroe
    SaffronMonroe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I wake up in the night and binge eat but I only know I've done it when I wake up in a bed of wrappers I don't know im doing it at the time and it's really upsetting me
  • espressoshotsnheavysquats
    Options
    heya, i suffered with binge eating for many years. recently feel like i have been able to overcome it. it's more mental than anything. mfp def helped me to stop. :)
  • newstart1988
    newstart1988 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Runner2478 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to the MFP community, but it seems like such a positive supportive environment!
    I have been struggling for about a year now with consistent binge eating, which leaves me feeling (predictably) awful about myself and fearful that there is no way to break the habit. I believe it started about 2 years ago, when I wanted to lose around 15 pounds and did so via the Paleo diet. Through the restrictive nature of the diet and working out, I saw great results....and now I have gained it all back and then some. After about a year of Paleo, I started to binge...mostly at night after dinner. It's a terrifying mode to be in because it feels COMPLETELY separate from my more rational side....it's like I'm watching myself do it from the outside, wanting to stop but unable to control some baser instinct to keep eating, well beyond when I'm full.

I'm looking for others who have experienced this same thing, who are working on overcoming it, or who are just kind and sympathetic and willing to offer words of support as I start today to break the bingeing cycle. I was hoping to be able to message someone when I'm feeling a binge coming on, and also to keep track of progress with a buddy or two (or more!).

This community has already made me feel more comfortable, knowing that my story will be received without judgment. I look forward to getting to know some of you!

Feel free to add me!
  • JessiNeko
    JessiNeko Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been binge eating for about 6 months now, and I'm so upset with how I look. I also feel like I'm watching myself binge, and it's one of the worst experiences I've ever had, there's no control there whatsoever.
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I get it! Add me too
    If you like!
  • rishywest
    rishywest Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. Stress is my trigger. Feel free to add me if you'd like. We can conquer this beast!
  • ked24_7
    ked24_7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is my downfall lately- overcoming binging is my goal for the year. Anyone can feel free to add me as well!
  • glitternurse
    glitternurse Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is my boat... every day! I eat healthy, and cook at home, no fast food... but for the binging
  • nanpask
    nanpask Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Please add me to group I've been binge eating since I was a child. Haven't conquered it yet but not giving up
  • candylovergirl
    candylovergirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Please add me. Looks like there are many of us in the same boat :(
  • nanpask
    nanpask Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hope all of you are doing well. So far so good with me. I have to be really careful in not letting my thoughts go in the wrong direction. God bless you all