discrepancy in nutrition info for cacao powder?

I purchased some Organic Traditions raw cacao powder. The nutrition information is quite different from the one on MyFitnessPal. (See link) When I added the details, MFP told me that it was incorrect. I've never had cacao powder and I would like to think that the information on their site is correct... Thoughts?

https://yourorganicsources.com/ProductDetail/AHM208_Organic-Traditions-Cacao-Powder--16-Oz-454g

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Many items in the database have incorrect information. Sometimes it's because the person that inputted it got it wrong, and sometimes it's because foods can have different nutritional composition in different parts of the world. Having said that, I've never known MFP to tell me that something was incorrect, what was the exact message you got?
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited January 2017
    It may be that MFP are saying it's incorrect because your link shows 0 calories (I assume because the serving size is only 2.5g). Try re-entering it with the calories per 100g (418kcal) http://www.organicdeliverycompany.co.uk/food-cupboard/superfoods/organic-cacao-powder-227g.html
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    I wouldn't rely on nutritional info provided by the company where they've obviously intentionally chosen such a small serving size that they can round down calories and macros to 0. Cacao powder is basically a commodity (organic growing practices aside), and I would rely on an MFP entry that uses the information from the USDA for "cocoa, dry powder, unsweetened," which shows 228 calories per 100 g, or 12 calories per tablespoon (and hence 4 calories per teaspoon, which Organic Traditions tells you is 0 calories).

I am surprised that MFP "told you" that the details you added were incorrect. I've never had it question any info I've added to the database, and I really didn't think there was any mechanism by which it can do so. Maybe it's a new feature? OP, if you can provide any more info on what exactly happened, I'd be interested.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    I wouldn't rely on nutritional info provided by the company where they've obviously intentionally chosen such a small serving size that they can round down calories and macros to 0. Cacao powder is basically a commodity (organic growing practices aside), and I would rely on an MFP entry that uses the information from the USDA for "cocoa, dry powder, unsweetened," which shows 228 calories per 100 g, or 12 calories per tablespoon (and hence 4 calories per teaspoon, which Organic Traditions tells you is 0 calories).

I am surprised that MFP "told you" that the details you added were incorrect. I've never had it question any info I've added to the database, and I really didn't think there was any mechanism by which it can do so. Maybe it's a new feature? OP, if you can provide any more info on what exactly happened, I'd be interested.

I haven't needed to create a new food item in a while, so I can't comment if the sum check is new. The website for the cacao powder shows 1g carb and 1g protein, so I am guessing there is a sum check now in MFP. Interesting.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    Thanks, @CyberTone.