2017 resolutions - yours?

Options
It's been years since I have done a New Years Resolution. Some people think they are silly, some people go at them with wild expectations. Hey, whatever works for you. I have decided that this year I am going to do probably the most common resolution out there.. to lose weight. I think about it as an option every year. I even signed up last January to the local gym like 10 million other people at the one I go to. And then cancel by summer. But this time I have consequences and I would like to give it some accountability by posting it here. Tell me yours as we go into 2017. Doesn't have to be about any subject and there are no consequences other than having to live with the results. Just tell me why you chose that one and have a Happy and Safe New Year!!!

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Wishing you success in losing weight in 2017. This place contains lots of great advice about how to do it.

I'm no longer a fan of the "I'm going to do X, so that I will achieve Y, by date/time Z", or even "I resolve to..." statements, but with all the hustle and bustle of Christmas over, it's definitely a chance to breathe and think about how I'm living my life.

So I'm thinking about the following:

1. Ways to get outside in the winter
    2. Making an effort to bring people together/organize informal social events.
    3. Trying meditation
    4. Continuing to write in my newly started "Good things" journal
    5. Ways to keep life interesting
    6. Continuing to keep fruits & veggies centre stage
    7. Reducing bf% further and improving fitness thru a small deficit and cross training
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Happy 2017, best of luck with your resolutions!

Mine are:
    To be stronger physically, mentally, spiritually, and emotionally
    Focus on losing 73lbs, and not being hard on myself
    Spend less time working and more time with family and friends
    Strengthen my backbone and get rid of toxic situations/people/things
    Reduce clothing (your idea is fantastic.. I too have quite a bit that I can not fit into and i'll donate it to people who can and need it more, rather than let it sit in my closet and continue to just look pretty!)
    Be a better version of myself
    Heal -- all over
  • sstini55
    sstini55 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't make resolutions, I set goals. In order to reach my goals there are certain things I must do, and those may be more like a "resolution" . This year's goal - a marathon in the Fall. To prepare - training, training and more training. I want to get leaner (lower body fat) so I'll be faster. To do that I need to have the right combination of diet and exercise. I'll be adding in 2 days of full body weight/strength training starting this week, in addition to my normal running/cross training.
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    2017 i will be getting up everyday at 5:30 go into my home Gym in my cellar and kick the living sh""t out of my body doing intervall & strength & stamina weight training (controlled fatigue system)
    i will be doing the Warior diet (so first meal will be at about 13:00 hours and the last at about 17:00.
    I have been doung this since August 2016 so it is not really new... i will just be keeping it up.

01 aug 2016

jx14i2jdhb35.png

mid december 2016

yr8off21rygl.jpg
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    dfc4 wrote: »
    2017 i will be getting up everyday at 5:30 go into my home Gym in my cellar and kick the living sh""t out of my body doing intervall & strength & stamina weight training (controlled fatigue system)
    i will be doing the Warior diet (so first meal will be at about 13:00 hours and the last at about 17:00.
    I have been doung this since August 2016 so it is not really new... i will just be keeping it up.

Sorry the oics were in the wtrong sequence.

should have been like this

01.Aug 2016
    yr8off21rygl.jpg

mid dec 2016
    jx14i2jdhb35.png
  • Ratmikey
    Ratmikey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the term "resolution" as I believe it puts too much stress on the mind if you fail. This is life, it's a journey! We should enjoy the moments and strive to better ourselves, those around us and to leave the planet better than how we used it.

I realize those are the common goals of everybody but we all have to start somewhere. So that's my goal, better myself by taking baby steps and understand that I may not succeed in achieving what I set out, but I will only fail if I quit.

My goal for 2017 is to be physically and mentally active for 30 minutes every day.
    Physical activities are pretty straight forward, running, hiking, riding my bike, yoga, walking, swimming. Anything that gets me moving. Maybe I'll dust off the workout videos? ;)

Mental activities include reading, writing, studying and meditation. Anything that stimulates my mind.

30 minutes, everyday. I'm going to record it on a full year calendar taped to my wall.

Good luck to everybody and happy new year!
  • shelbybolin
    shelbybolin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. Good luck to everyone. Here are some of mine.

1) keep pumping breastmilk until my daughter is at least 6 months old. I currently only pump and feed from a bottle as I will have to return to work here soon and it's not easy. My baby is 6 weeks old and I've already got 600+ ounces in the freezer, so I'd also love to donate my milk as long as this over supply is over supplying!

2) I loved FeraFilia's resolution to compliment her husband every day. I'm adding this to my list as well!

3) I want to be better about choosing my battles and letting the small things remain small.

4) I want to be nicer to myself. Worry less about numbers on the scale and more about how my clothes fit. I want my self-worth to come from within instead of finding it anywhere else!

5) get my self esteem back. The hardest part of pregnancy for me was the massive loss of self esteem that happened and I did not expect it at all. I felt like a complete stranger in my body, and now at 6 weeks post partum, my body is slowly returning to normal but now my identity is totally different. I need to find ME again.

I realize some are not actual measurable goals but still goals nonetheless :) good luck everyone!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any resolutions, just objectives...

-4,000 miles on the bike
    - more consistency getting into the weight room
    - complete all four races in the Double Eagle Time Trial series next summer...I was injured training last summer
    - Enchanted Circle Century ride...bucket list ride
    - knock out 25 miles with my oldest (he'll be 7) for Day of the Tread in October...he did 12 just fine last year with no gears and still had plenty in the tank
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    rkg4228 wrote: »
    I don't make them so I don't have any

And a second that.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Be more awesome than last year ;)
  • paigekell26
    paigekell26 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Focus on loosing my target weight, become fitter! Also find a new job and prepare myself for starting university in September!
  • bigbare5
    bigbare5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My goal, rather than a resolution, is to continue loosing weight to hit my first goal, then set a lower goal from there. So far I have lost 32# in 13 weeks, i'm 8 # away from my 1st goal and have managed to loose even through the holidays!! My doctor loved my loss so far and my December labs were excellent. I have been able to cut my insulin dosage by 70%!!! WooHoo!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I think NY is a great time to reset...as are most Mondays and the first of any month! BUT....for 2017 my goals are:

1. Get back on MFP and track all food (I've been MIA for 4 months)
    2. get back into the gym at least 4 workouts per week
    3. Be diligent about the job search and find a new job!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    Goals for 2017

Cycle more than 2016. 2016's total was 5760.76 km. I want to cycle more than that in 2017.

Complete Petite Year Round Randonneur. This is a challenge where we have to do a 100 km ride each month for a total of 1200 km. There is some flexibility in that we can do 50 km one month and 150 km the next to make up for it, but most of the time it should be a 100 km ride. The challenge started in November (that's when the Audax/Randonneuring year starts), so I've done 3 already.

In the past, I've done several CAM challenges (Century A Month, where I ride a 100 mile ride each month of the year), and would like to do that again, but realistically, with full-time work + university, I'm not sure I can commit to that schedule. However, I would like to do as many centuries as possible. Good training rides.

Complete Super Randonneur. A Super Randonneur is Audax/Randonneuring's standard series and the series which is required to qualify for longer rides in most cases. It consists of one ride each of 200 km, 300 km 400 km, and 600 km, each of which has to be completed within a certain time limit.

Complete a 1000 km randonnee. This might be a long-shot. However, if the 600 km event goes well, there is a 1000 km 2 weeks later.

One 1000 km month.

Cycle up Mt Wellington again.

Cycletouring.

Walk a minimum of 1000 km, but hopefully beat last year's total of 1133 km.

Hike up a mountain or two.

Include some extra stuff like rowing, canoeing, weightlifting and maybe a bit of yoga. Improving my core strength and flexibility would probably be a good thing.

Complete at least 2 more courses at university.

Figure out what I want to do with my website ... and do it!

Travel ... of course. That's always on the list.
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I'm with you!! Even though I broke my ankle.... I need lots of support....
  • avalonblues
    avalonblues Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have some specific crossfit related goals.
    Run a 25-minute 5K (current best: 31:34)
    **This one may be a bit of a reach, but I think I can do it.
    Weigh 190 pounds by July 1 and maintain that weight.
    **I will need to lose 32 pounds - a little over 5 pounds per month.
    Read 25 books for pleasure (i.e., not work related) in 2017.
    Break 80 on a golf course (2016 and all-time low score: 80).
    Accomplish my specific writing and song-writing goals.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    Anyone else? :)
  • Brutus1977
    Brutus1977 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Trim the fat!

Drinking more water, eating less calories and working out. +output and -input!