Loosing weight with no excersise ?

Options
Hello lovely people.

I have recently started my MFP jounrney and have a year and a half untill inget married.

My question is ...is anyone doing well with food alone and no excersize ?

I will be adding in excersise soon however i would like to shift a bit before so i dont lug this heavy body too soon .

Personal experiences much apreciated

Xx

Replies

• Missyjules1974
    Missyjules1974 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I know lots of people who have shifted lots of weight without much exercise but a lot of them end up with excess skin that's saggy and then they can't do anything about it.... so yes yo can do it but it would be better if you could incorporate both. Good luck! Xx
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight in the beginning by watching what I ate and walking, I did't go to the gym or do any exercise classes.

Good luck
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I started with just walking the dog 2x per day until I felt I had some success under my belt and felt like adding more walking. I have escalated to some strength DVDs and jogging on the treadmill.

I went into the whole thing of doing very little exercise because I felt like I was toting around too much weight. As you lose, your body will be able to move more...so you do. Just start with the things you CAN do, and go from there.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    30lbs down, no exercise and no loose skin.
  • TigerLily100
    TigerLily100 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I can shift weight no bother without exercise, but it does mean eating only 1200kcal a day for me. I will loose 1 1/2 to 2lb a week eating at that amount.
    So yes possible, exercise helps an awful lot though as it means you can eat more, which is really important for those that feel hungry all the time.
    I don't have a problem with hunger, within a week to 10 days of starting on 1200 a day I get used to it and don't get hungry.
    Give it a go and see how you get on, you can always add additional activity if it's not working.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely lose weight through diet alone but you will also lose more muscle if you are doing nothing to maintain it.

For me I started this journey and joined My Fitness Pal because I wanted to be fit, not thin. They aren't the same thing. I guess it comes down to long term goals.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I know lots of people who have shifted lots of weight without much exercise but a lot of them end up with excess skin that's saggy and then they can't do anything about it.... so yes yo can do it but it would be better if you could incorporate both. Good luck! Xx

I lost 50lbs with no intentional exercise and have no saggy skin, even almost 4 years into maintenance now (still no intentional exercise).

OP, I had no problems losing the extra weight only focusing on my calorie intake :)
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 50 without exercise at all. Even now i walk. Thats it. Its amazing to get the extra food to eat so i walk whenever possible :p My jobs pretty active though i guess but its a new thing.
  • Firedrake2001
    Firedrake2001 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind is that right now you have more muscle than you would at a lower weight at the same activity level. You are effectively carrying around X pounds of weights all day (X being however many extra pounds you want to lose) and your body has built up the muscles to handle that. As you start to lose weight, but do not increase your activity level, you will start to lose that muscle - your body won't use resources to maintain muscle that you don't use.

If you start exercising as you start losing weight, you will keep more of that muscle. I've seen a number of posts from people who regretted waiting to start exercising because they lost a lot of muscle while losing weight and it was hard to rebuild that muscle.
  • humpbackgirl
    humpbackgirl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    to me, it just makes it harder to expend calories. plus exercise is really really good for you
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,861 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Weight loss is in the kitchen, and fitness is in the gym. :)

I've seen this mentioned on several occasions. Does this mean that any caloric deficit from exercise should be ignored?

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @lkpducky you may count the deficit from exercise but it's not as much as you might think. My thirty minute brisk walk earns me a cookie. That's it.

That thirty minute brisk walk also earns me greater stamina.

Weight loss in the kitchen.

Fitness in my sneakers.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I need to include exercise to keep my spirits up, otherwise I'm more likely to turn to food. I've only once successfully lost weight without exercise but that was for a short period of time while some strain or sprain healed. If your joints bother you because of your extra weight, look for low impact exercise (like elliptical or rowing or stationary cycling), and consider adding some strength training.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Weight loss is in the kitchen, and fitness is in the gym. :)

I've seen this mentioned on several occasions. Does this mean that any caloric deficit from exercise should be ignored?

As @jgnatca said, it means that you will have a much easier time eating 200 less calories then trying to burn off the 200 calories.

For example, I've bought the individual lasagna's from Costco. 440 calories per tray. So, by eating 1/2 at lunch, I've saved 220 calories. It's easier, at least it is for me, to do that then to do a 1/2 hour on the treadmill.

Having said that, I try to do both. I typically do ~30 mins on the treadmill daily so I'm in better shape. The ~200 cals burned are a bonus, but being able to walk the dogs, of go up stairs adds a lot to my well being. And on days when I want the extra glass of wine, I know it costs me a 1/2 hour of treadmill time.

Just be careful eating back exercise calories as most are overestimated.