Losing weight....what's your story?

Options
Hey guys! For my New Years resolution, I'm doing a bunch of cutting out of junk food and soda. Does anyone else have any goals/ success stories they're willing to share?
Thanks

Replies

• TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm 28lbs down with more to go, I can't tell you how good it felt going into the new year knowing the good I've done my health. As someone on a lot of medications I'm getting some blood tests done in a couple of weeks as I'm pretty sure I will have got my cholesterol under control and to lose that medication would be great... I used to be all about the aesthetics, but switching to focusing on my health and valuing my body has made it remarkably easier for me to keep going. It was a 1lb loss mid last year that rolled in to 28... it has NOT been linear my graph looks like the Alps and this is something that I'd ask you to keep in mind... your journey is just that. it'll twist and turn.

but just make one positive decision - then repeat. sometimes that positive decision is letting go if you feel you have done something detrimental to your journey (unless you quit - you haven't)

I eat whatever I like within my allowance. I'm mobility impairex but found seated tai chi and Yin yoga I could do. I can walk short distances - I do that.

I take time for emotional self care by journalling and I try (badly lol) to do meditation...

Things that felt good were my psychiatrist noting how I've lost weight on several medications notorious for having a weight gain side effect (I did gain in the beginning), my physio noting how much I've improved my range of movement (both exercise and weight loss helped it's amazing how much easier it is to move two full stones lighter), and donating all of my nicer larger clothes to charity.... knowing I'll never be going back to them.

I'm not sure where my finish line is yet somewhere between another 10 to 18lbs...

You are worth doing this for. You deserve to be healthy :) you got this
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I'm 31 lbs down. I knew nothing about losing weight or calories and tried crazy things from age 12 to 15, when I gave up, thinking I'd have to have a bunch of healthy foods or the spare time to sit in a room for months and starve myself to lose weight. I tried again at 19, but still knew nothing. I was scared to eat white carbs or have meat more than once a day, and i tried to restrict myself to eating only 1,000 calories a day just because someone somewhere mentioned the phrase 1,000 calories and i figured eating that amount must be good for something. I'd preplan my food and say, "I won't eat anything else; not a single bite," because I was so afraid if I didn't adhere strictly to "rules" I set for myself, I'd go out of control. I'd punish myself if I broke down and ate a hushpuppy. Thankfully, I asked someone for help and was pointed to Myfitnesspal.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I cut out junk food, alcohol and meat back in April and also cut down on added sugar and salt. Over the Christmas period I kinda drifted from that a little, so back on it now for the New Year. I find restrictions easier to stick with than everything in moderation, so it has been really easy for me to do. I did notice over Christmas how sluggish and bloated I felt, I had little energy, barely slept and my mood changed too. I know this was because of the change in my diet from a healthy one to a unhealthy one. It certainly helped me to learn from how my body reacts from what I eat and I'm looking forward to going back to my healthy lifestyle and sticking to it this year.
    I got to my first goal weight by December, so now I'm aiming to get to my goal weight and stay there.
  • wayne2017
    wayne2017 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My calorie intake has been 1600 a day, been at it 2 weeks now with no results so not very happy. Am still sticking at it though and I don't give up very easy.

Well done to you all that has lost weight and reached your goles
  • suzilla53
    suzilla53 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60 lbs since March.Weigh food and log! You will find out what works out for you best,certain foods are my downfall ( pie ) Certain foods really fill me up ( Greek yogurt) I've been on 1200 calories all along, I eat half my exercise calories. You gotta want it bad.Think in you mind why you want to be fit and how much better you are going to feel.Its definately a life plan.Of also read those getting started posts!you can do it!
  • darkenergie
    darkenergie Posts: 27 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My goal is to work on strength, and work on getting leaner. For the past 2 years I was getting back to pre baby condition, and have found myself leaner and stronger than ever. I hope to train and develop my body to be able to compete in bodybuilding.

I've found logging my food into MFP really instrumental to keeping my macros and calorie goals on point. And yes, like others said, weighing your food is essential for accurate tracking .....you can be amazed at how your portions/estimates are off when you just eyeball things and guess at how much you are taking in.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 50lbs and 2017 will be year number 4 of successful maintenance. I've done it by continuing to eat all the foods I like-I've just learned how to fit them into my calorie goals. I haven't really cut anything out or made any drastic changes. I'm doing this whole thing in a way that's realistic and sustainable for me, for the long term :)
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    70 pounds in the past 8 months just keeping within my calories. I stil leat everything i want i just make it fit, Whether that be through small portion or exercise. Few hours walking i can eat an entire pizza. yum.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be more active. I will never be one of those people who go to the gym because I just hate it but I will be outdoors more and I'm getting a treadmill so that should help. I moved in December and have been more active, a wood burning fireplace forces you to be active.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I lost 130 pounds in about 10 months in 2016. I maintained that loss the last month of the year and will resume my weight loss this month now the holidays and travel are over. My goal for 2017 is to focus on strength and strength training, to shift my mindset from solely weight loss to overall health and fitness.
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Some very inspiring stories here!

I hit GW on April and ricocheted badly through maintenance for the 6 months that followed. I had been too aggressive on my loss and deficit, so it wasn't a smooth transition. Hadn't acquired lasting or sustainable habits.

Figuring it out now and feeling much better. Hoping to focus more on recomp and fitness goals for 2017!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for a while now. From June 2015 to February 2016, I went from 139 to 113 and stayed there for a while. The summer hit and suddenly I was 107 pounds. I got a bit sick at that time due to it and made it my mission to focus on body composition and eating enough food. I've been sitting at 113 pounds for a bit now. My goal for 2017 is to continue improving my body composition, staying active, and making sure I eat no less than 1900 calories, as maintaining takes around 2000 to 2400 for me on average.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Been at this on and off for years. But this time, I'm doing things right, and have been since October. I'm very obese (sw: 253, cw: 227, gw: 135)

I try to log everyday. When if I'm just guesrimating. When I don't log, and I gain weight, I know it's because of le, and I don't beat myself up to it.

I joined a gym for the millionth tome, and finally feel like it's the one I belong it. (People scoff at planet fitness, but I'm in love!) I have an hour drive to work, and have to be there at 0700. I get up early every morning, and get to the gym by 0400. Because I feel good when I work our early. I've even become a morning person!

I'm doing this because everyday, I'm becoming a better, healthier me. No new year resolutions, I started new life resolutions a few months ago. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    My story ...

Slender most of my life.

Between 2009 and 2014 gained some weight because of a combination of health issues (DVT and others), moving (7 times, and the biggest move was Canada to Australia), bushfire recovery stress (Victorian Bushfires), and travelling the world for 8 months.

2015 lost the weight simply using CI<CO.

2016 did much more cycling than I ever expected. :)
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I started on January 1st of 2015. My doctor told me to eat 1300 calories, so I did. I did not exercise as I have MS and severe fatigue and pain. By the middle of August of the same year I weighed 180. I used a food scale and measured everything I could to the gram. I did not have surgery and I did not take anything to help me lose weight. It was all down to the deficit. I am 6'5"/Male, so I had a lot of calories to work with.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My goal is to not gain weight.

My weight loss tip: be patient.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I lost 45 in 2016, and will do it again in 2017! (It's another 45, not the same 45, lol)