"THE" week..the crave week that comes once a month. HELP.

Options
So...this is how it is. Two weeks before "that time" of the month, I have the hardest time keeping it together. I could eat the broad side of a barn. Not hungry, really. I just have the insane urge to eat like crazy! I'm having the hardest time sticking to it right now. I have gone really over the last two days. I remain accountable and continue to log my food intake. I continue to eat the "good foods," not splurging on pizza or taco bell (which would be wonderfully delightful). Truth is, sometimes, I just like to eat till I'm full. I think its another part of my "fat girl philosophy," along with other things like "fat girls don't run," or "fat girls don't wear two piece bathing suits." The latter two, proudly, I have conquered...this formerly fat chick is determined to lose this last 10 lbs, with everything she has in her (wanting to make the 60 lbs I've lost be 70 lbs, instead :)). I NEED TIPS! Ugh!

Replies

• quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I've heard foods high in iron really help with your TOM. Try and stick to high protein foods that will keep you full for a longer period of time. And if you have cravings, just try to find healthier options. I.e. if you want chips try popcorn. There's also nothing wrong with giving yourself a little treat maybe once a week, as long as you just portion it correctly!
  • myselfand2dogs
    Options
    I have the exact same problem!!! Seems like I undo three weeks worth of hard work in " that week." It's a pattern that is very predictable. Incredible cravings for carbs that last for about a week. Will be watching this thread closely hoping someone has some great ideas.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Two weeks before, you are very likely ovulating, and yes, there is significant hormonal activity during that time, and yes, it can trigger cravings. If you know this happens to you, stock up on things you can eat that don't set you back significantly before you hit that spot, and will help you manage the urge to eat. Recognizing that this is going to happen gives you the advantage - you aren't going to be blindsided by it!
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    There's a girl here that did an experiment on herself. She did a lot of research and found that (and for her this was true), when she ovulated, her metabolism was revved up. It slowed down again during TOM. You should use google to try to search the MFP boards, it was a really interesting topic. Anyhow, she found that if she ate at reduced intake during her TOM, then a moderate level the second week, then at an increased level her third week, then again at a moderate level for the fourth week ... she lost weight!!!

It makes sense, to me, because when you ovulate your body temp goes up by about a degree. How would it do that? Maybe by burning more calories.

Food for thought.
  • StaceyRN07
    StaceyRN07 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've done the popcorn for chips deal...kettle corn satiates me there. Maybe I should increase my iron intake. Good idea. I tried increasing my H2O intake hoping it would make me full and not want to eat, but it didn't work. I guess, as long as I'm consistently losing weight, I should worry too bad, right? Just maybe work out more, and try to keep the urge to eat tame and keep the healthy options around durning this time. So frustrating.
  • almondbliss
    almondbliss Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm right there with ya babes, I've been eating cantaloupe like it's candy, and trying to drink as much water as possible. But this time around I'm having a hard time deciding if I wanna Sleep or Eat.
  • amysambora
    amysambora Posts: 219
    Options
    I am EXACTLY the same! In that week, I go nuts and want to eat everything in sight! I just go with it...I recognize what my body is doing and I let myself eat a little more, trying to stick to good choices and allowing myself a treat here or there.

Very interesting post about eating according to your cycle - I might try it!
  • StaceyRN07
    Options
    Very interesting, and REALLY makes sense! I had never thought of it like that...you know during that TOM, I really don't have that intense urge to eat. It's always two weeks prior. OV time. Wow. Thanks, girl :)
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Eat a ton of fruits and vegetables...I can always fill up on that without going over.
    Try taking an iron pill.
    Eat filling foods, like eggs and oranges.
    If all else fails, just work off those extra calories. Exercise also helps with cramps. (my cramps make me throw up every month, and I haven't thrown up at all since I started working out every day.)
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Eat a ton of fruits and vegetables...I can always fill up on that without going over.
    Try taking an iron pill.
    Eat filling foods, like eggs and oranges.
    If all else fails, just work off those extra calories. Exercise also helps with cramps. (my cramps make me throw up every month, and I haven't thrown up at all since I started working out every day.)
  • StaceyRN07
    Options
    I'm right there with ya babes, I've been eating cantaloupe like it's candy, and trying to drink as much water as possible. But this time around I'm having a hard time deciding if I wanna Sleep or Eat.

OMG! Cantaloupe and Watermelon like its candy! That's me! Right now, its cherries, because that is what I have. Makes so much sense...the whole "cycle thing."
  • StaceyRN07
    Options
    I have the exact same problem!!! Seems like I undo three weeks worth of hard work in " that week." It's a pattern that is very predictable. Incredible cravings for carbs that last for about a week. Will be watching this thread closely hoping someone has some great ideas.

Yes! For carbs! I crave them like crazy! Bread, crackers..you name it.
  • skyls
    skyls Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Going through the same thing here. I just try to keep lower cal snacks around like the 90 calorie brownies. I think mine is also a weekend thing, I am using to doing whatever on the weekends so I really struggle!

Have you ever had haystacks? They are high in fiber and have chocolate :)

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/367
  • ebilharz
    ebilharz Posts: 20
    Options
    ugh yes for some reason I am having the WORST cravings for steamed broccoli (I ate about 2 and a half cups of it for dinner! could not stop) and also dark chocolate. I've been trying to cut down on carbs and sugars too, so I'm craving them especially.
    even worse, my mother referred to me as "bulky" today, when I've been trying to slim down my muscles! It made me so upset that I just wanted to cry and eat more chocolate. Love it.
  • StaceyRN07
    Options
    I show my mom where I've slimmed down and she offers me cocoa butter for my stretch marks...nice, huh? I told her to keep it and left. Do I sound like a meanie? lol
  • whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    For people who crave chocolate, I've read that it helps to put a piece of 70% Dark chocolate in your mouth and meditate.

I was thinking about the week of extreme cravings and how we can get so busy we forget to eat. So wouldn't it be cool if you could schedule that week with some very involving activity and better yet something selfless like building a house for Habitat for Humanities.

Just a very random thought :smile:
  • myselfand2dogs
    Options
    Not sure I've ever in my life forgotten to eat, but you make a good point. Going to try and be very conscious of when "that week" is coming and try and keep very busy and hopefully a bit distracted from the constant carb cravings. I'm a week away so will start planning my busy things now!!
  • whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Had another silly thought this morning. Staying satisfied that "other" way helps. The satiety signals come from the same place in the brain. Just sayin. :wink:
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    ugh yes for some reason I am having the WORST cravings for steamed broccoli (I ate about 2 and a half cups of it for dinner! could not stop) and also dark chocolate. I've been trying to cut down on carbs and sugars too, so I'm craving them especially.
    even worse, my mother referred to me as "bulky" today, when I've been trying to slim down my muscles! It made me so upset that I just wanted to cry and eat more chocolate. Love it.

Studies have shown that sometimes chocolate cravings stem from low magnesium levels. If the chocolate cravings are a problem, you could try supplementing magnesium and see if that helps. I personally just budget in a little dark chocolate if the cravings are strong. Now if I could only start craving broccoli! I like it well enough, but CRAVE it? Nope. That is one seriously good craving to have I say. Broccoli is so good for you it's crazy.