Help for at home workout

Options
I'm looking for suggestions on at home workout with weights. I have weights ranging from 1 lb to 8 lb and a weight bench. I'm just getting started. I have knee problems, so squats are out. I want a routine that is about 30 minutes. Any suggestions?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    P90X3
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Beachbody's Country Heat!
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I would look into bodyweight workouts. You'll likely get more out of it than working with 8 pound weights.

I like Athlean Xero but it costs money. Many here seem to like fitnessblender.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Have to tried Jillian Michaels, Denise Austin, or anything by The Firm? There are usually modifiers shown if you can't do all of the exercises.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    P90X3

Are there really P90X routines that are good for beginners and those with knee problems? I'd been practicing yoga for years and was a certified yoga teacher when I tried the yoga routine and it was a killer.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Have to tried Jillian Michaels, Denise Austin, or anything by The Firm? There are usually modifiers shown if you can't do all of the exercises.

Those with knee issues should read the one star reviews for Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred before trying it.

https://www.amazon.com/Jillian-Michaels-30-Day-Shred/product-reviews/B00127RAJY/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews&showViewpoints=0
  • kshama2001
    Options
    SSGirl1413 wrote: »
    I'm looking for suggestions on at home workout with weights. I have weights ranging from 1 lb to 8 lb and a weight bench. I'm just getting started. I have knee problems, so squats are out. I want a routine that is about 30 minutes. Any suggestions?

With these low weights, you'd be doing high rep, low weight exercises, something I wasted time with for years before abandoning it for high weight and low reps. So alas I don't have anything on point for you.

Here's what I'm doing for my knees. I do these in between weight lifting sets and have also incorporated the exercises in the print out into my yoga warm ups.

bxapt3boylqx.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLoMA7I7HOQ&feature=youtu.be
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Those with knee issues should read the one star reviews for Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred before trying it.

https://www.amazon.com/Jillian-Michaels-30-Day-Shred/product-reviews/B00127RAJY/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews&showViewpoints=0

She has many other workouts besides 30 day shred...
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend "You are your own Gym", $4.99usd on the app store.

Also look into a TRX system, or the less expensive WOSS knock off. The reviews I've read on the WOSS are very good, for less than half the cost of the TRX. And you can get an incredible workout from bodyweight only.
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Any product from beachbody.
  • UK92
    UK92 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Have a look on FitnessBlender's channel on YouTube, they have plenty of videos with varying degrees of difficulties and some workouts are specifically designed to be easy on the knees. Best of all, costs nothing! :)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    P90X3

Are there really P90X routines that are good for beginners and those with knee problems? I'd been practicing yoga for years and was a certified yoga teacher when I tried the yoga routine and it was a killer.

P90X3 workouts are 30ish minutes, not the ridiculously long workouts of the original. I tried the yoga from the original and noped out of that after about 15 minutes, it was just taking too long. The P90X3 version flows really well, and there's even a workout (Isometrix) that is more like restorative yoga because you are holding the poses, but it was definitely challenging. There's also a stretching routine.

I think P90X3 is fine for beginners and those with knee problems, they show modifications for each exercise, and the videos move quickly enough where if you can't do something, you don't have to wait long for the next exercise. There are also a ton of reviews and lists of the moves for each workout on the internet, so you can plan ahead. P90X3 was the only program I did where I felt like I enjoyed the majority of the workouts.

OP, another vote for fitness blender for finding some workouts.
  • dancin_homie
    dancin_homie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    FitnessBlender.com has a lot of workouts for beginners to those who are advanced. All of them are available for free, or you can purchase a program which puts the workouts in a calendar on the website for you (it's a one time purchase)--I find/found the programs to be helpful so I didn't have to worry about planning ahead, I could just log on and be ready to go :)