jump rope/ skipping

Options
Hi all

I was just thinking about my exercise efforts recently, and I realised that even when I think I can't achieve something exercise, if I really try, I find out I can.
Problem is though I am around 275 lbs. In the past the only exercise I would stick to was skipping. I would do 20 minutes at a time probably 5 times a week.
When I did this I was about 200 lb. Do you think it would be way too dangerous for me to do this at my current weight?

Replies

• JRena225
    JRena225 Posts: 373
    Options
    princess, i literally just came from outside jump roping for about 20 minutes....im 298....get you a good sports bra and get your butt out there!!!! us big girls have to stop making excuses for not being able to do what the skinny bytches can do lol...no offense...I bought the turbo fire dvd and dang gon it, i'm determined to get through that dvd without dying!!!!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I jump rope, its for anyone I burn the most calories in 10mins has if I walk 3 miles. It great!! Just drink lots of water.:smile:
  • CaRmenSandieGo0
    Options
    I just got a weighted jump rope...and I heard that is the BEST cardio work out...My trick is to take a number (say 400)....jump until I get to that number...REST..then pick another number (say 450)....and do it again...until 30 minutes have passed.

Hope this helps
    Peace.
  • NitaCeeCee
    NitaCeeCee Posts: 55
    Options
    princess, i literally just came from outside jump roping for about 20 minutes....im 298....get you a good sports bra and get your butt out there!!!! us big girls have to stop making excuses for not being able to do what the skinny bytches can do lol...no offense...I bought the turbo fire dvd and dang gon it, i'm determined to get through that dvd without dying!!!!

hahaha! you are right! we can do this why not!
    let me know how you get on with that dvd....
    if i don't hear a reply i'll know what happened..... :laugh:
  • NitaCeeCee
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone.
    I'm glad you all think it's possible for me to do, and yes I've heard it's the best workout you can do too.
    I'm doing it!
  • JRena225
    Options
    only reason I stopped after 20 mins was because my bra strap kept falling down my shoulders, therefore it caused me to stop....I have a hrm and I would make sure I stayed in my zone which is 121 to 158 and of course it did and even over....I just tried to not stop longer than 10 secs...take a breather and start back jumping...I wonder if this will make my boobs smaller if so, imma be jump roping every morning lmao
  • NitaCeeCee
    Options
    i don't want my boobs to shrink just my butt. i'm so bottom heavy its ridiculous. well when the weight's gone at least i can be in a lil wayne video haha
  • JRena225
    Options
    I don't wanna be in nobodies video lol!!! but yeah i'm bottom, hip, butt, chest all that heavy lol
  • NitaCeeCee
    Options
    thats not a bad thing though. at least you may lose it evenly. one day i'll be brave enough to put my real picture on here. well done on your weight loss so far :smile:
  • JRena225
    Options
    girl please, you need to put your picture up....why would you be ashamed to do that!!! that's the reason you are on here. You think I won't be knowing I used to weight 326 uh no!!! but I'm not ashamed anymore because i'm doing something about it....
  • NitaCeeCee
    Options
    You're right. Ok I'm in bed at the moment and I'm on my phone. But tomorrow I'll put a picture up. Just a face picture though. Not the body just yet haha
  • JRena225
    Options
    are you kidding me? Come on now!!! what are you ashamed of?? I want people to see what I looked like BEFORE!!! Girl you have to stop have that mentality because it could harm your progress...
  • NitaCeeCee
    Options
    I actually don't think I have a full length picture of myself. I'm usually the one hiding behind some piece of furniture lol. Actually I think I do have one on my phone. Lemme see...
  • NitaCeeCee
    Options
    Done! My picture with Levi Roots. People from the UK will know who he is!
  • JRena225
    Options
    AWESOME!!!! i DON'T KNOW HIM BUT THE PICTURE IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • NitaCeeCee
    Options
    Thank you!
    He was on a show called Dragon's Den and he invented Reggae Reggae sauce. It's almost a staple condiment in a black persons house in the UK lol. Google him :)
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I am really out of shape. I did some jump rope for 20 minutes on Tuesday, and the soreness just went away this morning. It was worth it though.

If it makes you uncomfortable, warm up doing something else, and just do the jump rope or skipping for 5 minutes until you get good at it.

If you have a really large chest, I can recommend some websites that sell good sports bras. I wear a size that cannot be found in stores, but I can find online retailers that sell bras that stop the bounce. I ended up getting the Shock Absorber, but the band on it is really tight.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    you can do it!!!!

I am not quite that heavy but I even have a bit if a struggle doing the jump rope thing... its certainly not as easy as when I was a kid that's for sure. Who knew it was exercise then? LOL I just thought it was fun! keep at it... you can do it and also try jumping jacks!
  • JRena225
    Options
    you can do it and also try jumping jacks!

think imma try some of these tonight...
  • buccynde
    buccynde Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    JRena225....I love your passion and honesty! You are my kind of gal!