Do you use a wearable pedometer?

Options

Replies

• jodijrt
    jodijrt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin. Originally, i wanted a fitbit because it was the most recognizable brand but through talking to the staff at best buy, Garmin fit my needs. I have the Garmin vivosmart hr and love it. It syncs with myfitnesspal, connects with phone, gives my messages, tracks progress, sleep and most importantly - is waterproof! Yes i can swim, shower, snorkel. Price is lower too.
    Good luck on your search and hope this has been helpful.
  • WalkingDeadFrank
    WalkingDeadFrank Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    If you are looking for something with advanced features, durable, water proof, and has all day heart rate monitoring, you can check out the Garmin vivoactive HR.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/538374

If you want something even more advanced, you can check out the Garmin fenix3 HR.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/545480

fitbits are great devices too, but not as durable, and none of them are water proof.

Within the next 2 or 3 months there will be many new devices coming out to check out, so you may want to wait and see what they are. I am hoping fitbit comes out with a more advanced device that is water proof and has a good GPS with GLONASS.

Agreed...Garmin Vivoactive Hr is a great fitness watch.

It has gps, waterproof, active HR throughout the day including the option to use a chest strap during your activities if you want better accuracy. Only watch with that feature in the same price range is a polar but they do not have an active HR and I'm not sure if has a gps either.

I had a Fitbit 2 and Blaze and took them back.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for something with advanced features, durable, water proof, and has all day heart rate monitoring, you can check out the Garmin vivoactive HR.

If you want something even more advanced, you can check out the Garmin fenix3 HR.

fitbits are great devices too, but not as durable, and none of them are water proof.

Within the next 2 or 3 months there will be many new devices coming out to check out, so you may want to wait and see what they are. I am hoping fitbit comes out with a more advanced device that is water proof and has a good GPS with GLONASS.

Agreed...Garmin Vivoactive Hr is a great fitness watch.

It has gps, waterproof, active HR throughout the day including the option to use a chest strap during your activities if you want better accuracy. Only watch with that feature in the same price range is a polar but they do not have an active HR and I'm not sure if has a gps either.

I had a Fitbit 2 and Blaze and took them back.

I have the fenix3 HR. Probably their most advanced sports watch, but I wanted something that can grow with me as I get more advanced with my fitness.

I also have a Suunto Ambit3 Peak, and a Polar V800.
  • mimiyoyo1
    mimiyoyo1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Agree. I have the Vivoactive HR and love it. It has a native GPS, so you don't have to rely on your phone for that. It's great for outdoor activities. I use it for running, hiking, and mountain biking. Long battery life. You can customize it by downloading apps and widgets. It's a high quality device and syncs up well with MFP.
  • darlof1977
    darlof1977 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit i wear pretty much 24/7. I have both the fitbit blaze, and a fitbit 1. I also have a polar m400 that i sometimes wear.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Had a Vivosmart HR but found the software too buggy. Turn on an activity and it double counted the calories. Wife now uses it as a step counter. Went with a VivoActive HR and it is much better software wise. Like @mimiyoyo1 said, lots of things to download to it. Also, if you golf it can download courses. It isn't the best at a specific activity, but seems to be the best jack of all trades for a wearable.
  • WalkingDeadFrank
    WalkingDeadFrank Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    mimiyoyo1 wrote: »

Agree. I have the Vivoactive HR and love it. It has a native GPS, so you don't have to rely on your phone for that. It's great for outdoor activities. I use it for running, hiking, and mountain biking. Long battery life. You can customize it by downloading apps and widgets. It's a high quality device and syncs up well with MFP.

Agreed...IMO it's the best watch for its price.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Had a Vivosmart HR but found the software too buggy. Turn on an activity and it double counted the calories. ... Went with a VivoActive HR and it is much better software wise.

The Vivo range of devices all use the same software for basic activity reconciliation. Some of it is on-board but the majority of the work happens in the back end on the Garmin Connect platform.

The VivoSmart is a step counter with some very rudimentary sports tracking, the VivoActive is an entry level sports device, at twice the price.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have a Samsung Gear Fit 2 and really like it. Two things set it apart from most others in the same arena: One is that you can download songs to it (like 4 G memory built in, plus it has Spotify embedded if you use that app); the other is that it has a built-in GPS. Both of those mean I don't need to have my phone with me to listen to music while on a machine or track/map my walks/bike rides.

The biggest drawback is that the associated app (S-Health) does NOT synch with MFP. Hopefully, it will soon, but at this point it does not. I think there are workarounds, but so far I really don't care. I actually like the S-Health app, and I'm not tracking my food as diligently as I was when I was in losing mode (now I'm in maintenance).

I REALLY like this Gear Fit 2. You get an HR monitor (not that big of a deal to me though), texts/phone/other notifications (you choose which), with short automatic replies you can send from your watch; music, GPS, health "nudges" when you're inactive; sleep monitor (which I didn't think I'd care about, but now love!); and pretty much everything else the others have.

• LulaicaLoses
    LulaicaLoses Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit Flex and have loved it. I'm contemplating upgrading to the Alta though for some of the newer features (watch, mobile notifications). My fiance is looking to switch over to Fitbit products since they have the connectivity that his current one doesn't.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    - I started with a Fitbit One, which I thought was great. I clipped it to my belt, or just tossed it into my pocket. It worked flawlessly for me until I was on summer holiday ... I jumped into the pool, forgetting it was in my pocket (I remembered in that split-second between jumping from the side and landing in the water ... nooooooooo!!!!!).
    - I replaced the drowned One with a Fitbit Charge HR. I liked added features - watch, phone notifications, alarms, heart rate monitor - but I found I had to charge it every other day if the heart rate monitor was on; goes 5-7 days with the HR off . It worked very well, but after about 10 months it started falling apart. I contacted Fitbit for a replacement, which was quick and painless ... and just in time, as the first unit died the evening before the replacement arrived.
    - When the replacement Charge HR goes, I'll see what other offerings they have (Fitbit has acquired smart watch maker Pebble, so I expect new products later this year), but if I were to get another unit today, I'd probably go back to the simplicity of the Fitbit One, or something like it.
    - The Fitbit will (roughly) track distance. If you want a more accurate measurement, try a smartphone app such as MapMyWalk, which will use GPS data, and record your route.
  • rcrough
    rcrough Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    flatlndr wrote: »
    - I started with a Fitbit One, which I thought was great. I clipped it to my belt, or just tossed it into my pocket. It worked flawlessly for me until I was on summer holiday ... I jumped into the pool, forgetting it was in my pocket (I remembered in that split-second between jumping from the side and landing in the water ... nooooooooo!!!!!).
    - I replaced the drowned One with a Fitbit Charge HR. I liked added features - watch, phone notifications, alarms, heart rate monitor - but I found I had to charge it every other day if the heart rate monitor was on; goes 5-7 days with the HR off . It worked very well, but after about 10 months it started falling apart. I contacted Fitbit for a replacement, which was quick and painless ... and just in time, as the first unit died the evening before the replacement arrived.
    - When the replacement Charge HR goes, I'll see what other offerings they have (Fitbit has acquired smart watch maker Pebble, so I expect new products later this year), but if I were to get another unit today, I'd probably go back to the simplicity of the Fitbit One, or something like it.
    - The Fitbit will (roughly) track distance. If you want a more accurate measurement, try a smartphone app such as MapMyWalk, which will use GPS data, and record your route.

Thanks for your review. I'm not crazy about the reliability I'm hearing about the fitbit. Funny you should mention the drowning, I'm looking into a wearable so I don't have to carry my phone everywhere, my fear is forgetting it's in my back pocket and it drowning in a most inopportune place. Nothing like flushing that very expensive device down the toilet.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is on my wish list:

http://www.swarovski.com/Mob_US/en/customer_service?contentid=10007.376299

It is compatible with the Misfit Shine.

My first was a Fitbit zip and now I have a flex. Since the thing is always on my arm I want something a little more elegant that incorporates a watch. Plus water resistance.

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    rcrough wrote: »
    Thanks for your review. I'm not crazy about the reliability I'm hearing about the fitbit. Funny you should mention the drowning, I'm looking into a wearable so I don't have to carry my phone everywhere, my fear is forgetting it's in my back pocket and it drowning in a most inopportune place. Nothing like flushing that very expensive device down the toilet.

Consider a Garmin Vivoactive HR. It's waterproof. Has HR and GPS and syncs with MFP. Waterproof is a big deal to me as I fish a fair bit.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Options
    I am on my 2nd fitbit HR, and love it.
  • gunnerslove77
    gunnerslove77 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You can sync the gear fit 1 & 2 up with mfp through endomondo..
  • CareyAnne55
    CareyAnne55 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started with a Garmin Vivofit and I liked it a lot until I won a Jawbone Up24 at work. I missed having a clock function on it but I LOVE the app. I didn't like the fact that I couldn't wear it all the time because of the fact that it irritated my wrist (I have eczema, psoriasis etc) so I didn't get to utilize the sleep function that often. Now that I am always wearing it I got Swarovski Activity Crystal because, well, it's pretty. I like the options with it and I can sleep with it so far without a reaction (it has only been a week but that is longer than the other two). My only problem is that the Jawbone app doesn't read it and, like I said, I really LOVE that app!

I should add I got the Garmin refurbished so it was super cheap. My aunt had one too and she lost hers so I gave her mine when I got my Jawbone.

I like the accessory options for the crystal. That is important to me. It also has a clock function so it is nice to have a watch back. I would say start with something cheap to see what you like / don't like and then you'll know what will be the best investment for you.
  • rcrough
    rcrough Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started with a Garmin Vivofit and I liked it a lot until I won a Jawbone Up24 at work. I missed having a clock function on it but I LOVE the app. I didn't like the fact that I couldn't wear it all the time because of the fact that it irritated my wrist (I have eczema, psoriasis etc) so I didn't get to utilize the sleep function that often. Now that I am always wearing it I got Swarovski Activity Crystal because, well, it's pretty. I like the options with it and I can sleep with it so far without a reaction (it has only been a week but that is longer than the other two). My only problem is that the Jawbone app doesn't read it and, like I said, I really LOVE that app!

I should add I got the Garmin refurbished so it was super cheap. My aunt had one too and she lost hers so I gave her mine when I got my Jawbone.

I like the accessory options for the crystal. That is important to me. It also has a clock function so it is nice to have a watch back. I would say start with something cheap to see what you like / don't like and then you'll know what will be the best investment for you.

That's good advice. I'm actually starting with map my walk on my phone and trying to keep my phone in my pocket. I've heard lots of good thing about the Garmin Vivofit, I never heard of Jawbone Up24.....I have to look it up.
  • HomeatWDW
    HomeatWDW Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Note about buying from Dicks: check retailmenot for in store coupons before buying. Saved a bundle on my Garmin Vivosmart HR that way (and I love the Garmin although I don't use the GPS as much as I thought I would).
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I wear a misfit necklace and can even swim with it. To get data I sync it with my Ipad but could use my phone.