I can't take anymore of this!!!

Options
Does anybody else get tired of the mantra "well if I increase my calories won't I gain weight" or "I don't want to eat back my calories cuz I'll gain weight" or "I'm in a plateau and exercise more and eat less and I'm still not dropping pounds". AAAARRRRGGHHHH!!!

Everyone please stop and consider this. YOU and/or your trainer and/or your healthcare professional are the ONLY ones who know what your weight is. People are so enamored with their weight they completely lose sight of what EVERYONE else sees. Your figure and your physique. If you had a digital readout on your forehead which displayed your current weight then yes, I can see your concern with your weight. But you are not burdened with that. You are however burdened with your physique and your figure. That is the first thing people notice not the number of pounds you weigh. I blow people away when I tell them I weigh 262 pounds because I am lucky and carry it well. They ususally guess 200. It is the outward appearance that you should be concerned with and not the scale. I think scales should be taken away from you if you weigh yourself more than once a week. Take measurements or use a too small article of clothing to gauge your progress and use your scale on a limited basis. Sorry all, just wanted to get that off my chest. :wink: It was weighing me down.:wink:

Replies

• uberlaut
    uberlaut Posts: 44
    Options
    AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE!!!
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with this.
  • musicmanomar
    Options
    I agree it should be about measurements. Some people don't drop weight but lose inches and they don't realize that. I had a goal jacket that I bought from banana republic at my first weight. I couldn't close the jacket nor button it bu only zip it up just a little bit. Since I reached my first goal I can now wear it! It closes buttons and zips ALL the way up. It pretty loose too! Good post man.
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    This is a very good point... Everyone carries weight differently.

People have guessed my weight before and it was much lower than what I actually weight... I am a very compact ball of muscle. I am glad! I also weigh 20lbs more than my friend and wear a pant size smaller than her. What is up with that??? Crazy how our bodies work.
  • skinnyminimoni
    Options
    So true. So very, very true. I cannot agree with this post enough.
  • prettybrownround
    prettybrownround Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I concur.....the scale should not be the only thing used 2 measure ur success. When the scaled stalled for me, the inches kept falling off and that is what makes the difference for me when I look in the mirror.
  • Hyder19
    Hyder19 Posts: 3
    Options
    Spot on post. That being said, I still need to lose weight. :) But yeah, inches are a much better measurement of success.
  • lostemt76
    lostemt76 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I so agree I am ready to throw my scale into the middle of next week. When the number on the scale don't way the way I get really depressed. I am at that point right now. What am doing wrong that what I keep asking myself day in day out. Just want to give up but can't do that to myself. Just sit back and question day in and day out what am I doing wrong.:mad:
  • cathynicolette
    cathynicolette Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree, I am 5'4" and weigh 175 technically bordering on obese but I wear a size 12. My grandmother weighs about the same I do and is in an 18. If I weighed what the Wii tells me too (129) I would look anorexic. I want to be in a size 8.. I'm thinking 140ish.
  • Amandanoralynn
    Amandanoralynn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Scales are not accurate and I seemed to never see a big difference when I measure. But my belly has told me a lot. I got indentions and when I can finally not see my belly because of my chest. I know I am on the right track!!
  • greenscrapcat
    Options
    Well said, and so true!
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    YES, YES, YES, and YES!
    Thank you for your post, glad to help you get that weight off your shoulders!
    I am sure you can feel the difference already!

I, too, am one of those that people guess wrong all the time. I am tall and muscular and people always guess light.
    I have noticed the amazing change in inches and while the pounds are still moving in a downward spiral, one of these days I am sure I will plateau and I will just work on through it and continue to measure.

How you feel is what matters.

Thanks!
  • WWJD0214
    WWJD0214 Posts: 8
    Options
    We should never let our Scale or Mirror define us!!!!!!!!!!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. I use both the scale and bodyfat caliper.
  • Cortx
    Cortx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    finally someone says it! I said it before but not as nice as you lol.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Trouble is with my waist measurement, ive been sucking my stomach in for so long now, 20+ years, i dont even know what normal would be! Id just think that if it was a few inches less one day, im just holding it differently to the time i measured! =/
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Trouble is with my waist measurement, ive been sucking my stomach in for so long now, 20+ years, i dont even know what normal would be! Id just think that if it was a few inches less one day, im just holding it differently to the time i measured! =/
    LOL, me too. I think that if us fatties could develop an exercise out of sucking in our guts, we'd all have 6 pack abs. I bought a retractable tape measure, you push a button and it snugs up to your body. I let it snug so it stands straight out then I know I have the same tension on the tape each time. You can get them at GNC online.