Hair Loss

Options
I started this diet a couple months ago, and I lost 40 pounds so far. My hair is really thick and long, and recently I've notice a lot more hair than usual is falling out. I don't know if its because of the hair conditioner I use, or if its a combination of both the conditioner and losing a lot of weight. All it would take for me is to just barely brush my fingers through my hair, and I notice strands and strands of my hair would come out. I just wanted to know if this is something that happens often, mostly to women, who lose a lot of weight. And what can I do to stop a bunch of hair from falling out.? Or is it just natural after losing weight? If anyone can help, or can give me advice, that would be great! Thank you!

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I have heard of this happening with weight loss. Are you taken vitamins?
  • bmontano
    bmontano Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    No I am not; would that help the problem? And if so, what kind of vitamins should I take?
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    Do you happen to be taking Fish Oil supplements?? I lost a ton of hair while I took them and had to stop. If you're not taking Fish Oil, then maybe make sure you're getting enough protein. A lack of protein will lead to substantial hair loss...
  • Kristendcampbell
    Kristendcampbell Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I started this diet a couple months ago, and I lost 40 pounds so far. My hair is really thick and long, and recently I've notice a lot more hair than usual is falling out. I don't know if its because of the hair conditioner I use, or if its a combination of both the conditioner and losing a lot of weight. All it would take for me is to just barely brush my fingers through my hair, and I notice strands and strands of my hair would come out. I just wanted to know if this is something that happens often, mostly to women, who lose a lot of weight. And what can I do to stop a bunch of hair from falling out.? Or is it just natural after losing weight? If anyone can help, or can give me advice, that would be great! Thank you!

I was taking fish oil, but stopped for this diet program. Through a suggestion here I bought Biotin (which is usually in a hair and nail supplement) worked great, my hair loss slowed and it feels better and my nails are growing nicely.

I also take D3, a womens one a day supplement, and GABA(which is for mood and can help build lean muscle and add with weight lose because it can suppress appetite) I got this primarily for the lean muscle thing.
  • bmontano
    Options
    Okay, I will be sure to eat more protein in my diet and see if it helps. Thanks.
  • bmontano
    Options

I was taking fish oil, but stopped for this diet program. Through a suggestion here I bought Biotin (which is usually in a hair and nail supplement) worked great, my hair loss slowed and it feels better and my nails are growing nicely.

I also take D3, a womens one a day supplement, and GABA(which is for mood and can help build lean muscle and add with weight lose because it can suppress appetite) I got this primarily for the lean muscle thing.

Oh really!? Okay I will research into that and see if it's right for me. Thank you so much!
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any medication or birth control pills? My dr switched me to YAZ after my 3rd child. 6 months later (about the time your preggo hair normally sheds) I lost a TON of hair. I'm also hypothyroid so I had my thyroid level checked first. That was fine. After some internet searching I learned that hair shedding is a side effect of YAZ. You also shed again after you go off of it. It's taken about 2 years for my hair to go back to my thin/baby fine normal hair. So if you're on any meds, check out their side effects because sometimes they don't happen right when you first start taking them.
  • BarbieHier
    BarbieHier Posts: 29
    Options
    I am still losing hair, after stopping fish oil supplements...so frustrated.

If anyone is reading this, For those who had hair loss from taking fish oil, how long did it take to stop falling out, once you had stopped?

SO upset over losing so much hair.

I am going to start taking coconut oil again instead of the fish oil, I ordered some but haven't gotten it yet. I have very dry skin and need the extra oils.

I also had hair loss previously from thyroid issues, but the meds aren't working this time and my blood levels are normal...I am sure it was from the fish oil, as i was taking quite a bit of it.
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    My hair fell out 6 months after I took YAZ and then again 6 months after I stopped taking it. Maybe it takes a while to get it out of your system. I'm sorry. I know how awful it feels. I used to feel my hair the entire time I was nursing my little girl. :frown:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

It's not necessarily part of weight loss, although it can be if you suddenly lost a great deal of weight or compromised your nutrition.

Fish oil doesn't cause hair loss.Excessive Vitamin A can though, so depending on the source and dosage of your fish oil, you may have inadvertently taken in too much Vitamin A. This is a more common issue with organ oils, such as Cod Liver.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    If you cut your calories too low it can also cause hair loss. Also, the vitamins you're missing from cutting out food groups if you do a diet where you don't eat meat, carbs, etc. can cause a problem with it. I suggest making sure you are eating enough and a well rounded meal plan including adequate servings from all food groups.
  • BarbieHier
    BarbieHier Posts: 29
    Options
    Well, I have read in several other forums that people who were taking a lot of fish oil also had hair loss, so I do think there is a connection there...I wasn't taking cod liver oil...just regular purified fish oil capsules.

And I am eating a much healthier diet now than I ever did before, I take supplements as well...although I can not eat grains, I have a gluten intolerance and do not eat carbs from grains.

I know my calorie intake is about 1,400 per day, I exercise 5-6 days a week, but nothing too strenuous, mainly walking, Pilates ball and mini- trampoline, trading off every other day.

I did have to go on a very restricted diet for 3 weeks, about 3 months ago, as I thought I had a gallbladder attack (it was not after all) but was on a low-no protein diet and I think that is what may have triggered the hair loss, along with too much fish oil.

Any idea how long this is going to keep happening?

I've been eating protein again for the last 2.5 months...and stopped the fish oil a week and a half ago. I just hate losing so much hair every day... I have long hair, it's kind of my trademark if you will, so it's very traumatic!!! Ugh.