Question for weightlifting women

Options
So I have been getting into weightlifting, and I did the first stage of new rules of lifting for women. I watch blogs of women that do heavy weightlifting like Nikki Blacketter, Amanda Bucci and Heidi Somers, and it's always amazing how much weight they're lifting. I know I will eventually build strength and able to go heavier, but for now it's discouraging to be on the lighter weights and still feeling like I don't quite know what I'm doing. I'm going as heavy as I can with good form. So what I'd like to know, is how you ladies got started and your experiences in the beginning. I guess I see amazing before and afters and it seems like everyone else has it all figured out and I need encouragement to know that everyone started somewhere too. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I started at 13 years old with 5lb weights (I thought I wanted to be the female Arnold). I'm almost 28 now and have taken my workouts through many stages of my life, including two years where I did nothing (which was how I got here...50lbs overweight a year ago). I've always worked out with men, designed my own programs, and never compared my programs or weights to other lifters. For me, it's always been about competing with myself.

It may be useful to set a goal based on what you see from a blogger, but Think about the time that a full time fitness blogger may have to workout and food prep compared to the time (and money) that you have to do the same. Keep your form good, keep making progress, and along the way, you'll have moments when you think back to your beginning and go "back when, I never thought I'd be lifting this!".
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    In the past I would feel discouraged when I compared myself to other lifting women, especially the ones on my friends list. My deadlift in general is pretty weak. However I have come to terms with it and now I only compete with myself. As a result I am more positive and feel better about my progress.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I started with a power lifting team. The coach invited me to practice, I followed what they were doing and learned form. I looked up stronglifts soon after and followed that program for a while. You may start with just the 45lb bar or less for upper body, but need bumpers for deadlifts. There is an app, but I just looked at the website. The goal is to increase by 5-10lbs each week. This may be too quick. I just add another rep or set if not ready to increase weight. I still lift similaly to stronglifts, but only do twice a week, always do all 5 lifts, and add glute bridge or other accessories.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    asbandr wrote: »
    I guess I see amazing before and afters and it seems like everyone else has it all figured out and I need encouragement to know that everyone started somewhere too. Thanks in advance.

i joined a group here when i started lifting - stronglifts 5x5 for women. it's been great for just having other 'ordinary' women to hang out with and check in with and work through stuff with.

i spend a lot of time on youtube trying to get better myself, but i've never gone near the people you mention :wink: i guess i don't really want to be nikki thingy, so i can't even comment on whether they provide any practical guidance or help about form. but me, i watch gnarly powerlifter types like mark bell and alan thrall, just because i know they do talk directly and soberly about the challenges involved in lifting.

i guess i like it because it demystifies the whole thing. when someone like max aita or chris duffin talks about specific things they have had to deal with in their own form, you stop feeling like it's 'just you' who can't figure out how to figure it out. don't give up.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said comparison is the thief of joy. I just started SL 5x5 a few weeks ago and am progressing nicely, but if I looked at the guys and girls at my gym or on here who have been doing it much longer and compared my weights to theirs, I'd feel bad about my weights. That would make me want to quit. Focusing on my own progression and having realistic expectations that it takes time and practice to progress gets me in a much better headspace. I also know that no matter how much I lift, I'll never have a certain body type bc that's just not how I'm made. I know how I can look at a lower weight bc I've been there before, and focusing on how I know I can look is better motivation than wishing my 5'4" gymnast build could magically morph into a 6' model.

I also found it very helpful to have a few sessions with a great trainer when I first started so that I knew my form was on point and I knew what I was doing instead of wandering around making my best guess. A couple months in and I love lifting and can't wait to get over the hump with this sinus crap so I can get back in the gym. Best of luck to you in starting your program!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I started lifting with men, and didn't feel competitive with them.

Over the years in various facilities, there have rarely been other women using free weights, so no one to feel competitive with. My last gym was near a college campus, so during the rare times there were women using heavier dumbbells than me I was able to tell myself that they were 30 years younger than me.

Now I am at a women-only gym (just due to its proximity to my house) and still not feeling competitive. The common theme is that I keep putting myself in a class that includes only myself, and thus just compete against myself.
  • studiog608
    studiog608 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Many of the fitness models and/or competitors are on performance enhancing drugs. These drugs give them quicker recovery and faster strength gains....plus quick fat loss and muscle gains. Never compare yourself to them....you will end up completely frustrated and depressed.
    As far as strength....who cares. Everyone is so obsessed with how much weight they can squat, bench, or deadlift. Many end up hurt trying to lift more than they can handle....never learning proper technique.
    There was a gal at a gym I used to go to. She was young, started out skinny and couldn't lift much weight at all. Within a month, she was squating 250, benching 155 and deadlifting at least 300. Plus, she grew muscle unbelievably fast and was very lean....in a month!! One word....drugs. Back then, that made me very frustrated and I wanted to give up. I was working so hard to build my body and get some strength plus lose fat. And she did it in a month!! I figured she was on gear, especially when I heard her talk, but I was still frustrated by it. Sometimes I still get down by those types of people, cheaters. But I know that I am doing it the right way and can be proud of everything I achieveachieve, as my gains will be more honest and I can be proud of the fact I didn't have to cheat for my gains.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    studiog608 wrote: »
    Many of the fitness models and/or competitors are on performance enhancing drugs.
    There was a gal at a gym I used to go to. She was young, started out skinny and couldn't lift much weight at all. Within a month, she was squating 250, benching 155 and deadlifting at least 300. Plus, she grew muscle unbelievably fast and was very lean....in a month!! One word....drugs. .

not everyone is on drugs,
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness. I'm so glad I stopped looking at fitness models and started following women on Instagram who simply lift heavy. Still I don't look at these women and think, "God I suck because I can't squat 400lbs". I think, "wow, she's amazing and strong and has been doing this for years!" - don't compare yourself to others. It doesn't even make sense to do so. Just do you and compare yourself with what you did the week (or month, or whatever) before.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I started with like zero muscle. Comparing yourself to others is just a recipe for injury and then setbacks for healing. Don't do it. Do what you can with perfect form. If you can't use perfect form then the weights are too high. Stop with reps and sets when your form suffers. It means you're done for the day on that particular exercise.

I personally cannot, at my low fitness level, jump from 5 lbs to 10. That's what 8lb weights are for. And 12.

Don't focus on weight, focus on form.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Many of the fitness models and/or competitors are on performance enhancing drugs. These drugs give them quicker recovery and faster strength gains....plus quick fat loss and muscle gains. Never compare yourself to them....you will end up completely frustrated and depressed.
    As far as strength....who cares. Everyone is so obsessed with how much weight they can squat, bench, or deadlift. Many end up hurt trying to lift more than they can handle....never learning proper technique.
    There was a gal at a gym I used to go to. She was young, started out skinny and couldn't lift much weight at all. Within a month, she was squating 250, benching 155 and deadlifting at least 300. Plus, she grew muscle unbelievably fast and was very lean....in a month!! One word....drugs. Back then, that made me very frustrated and I wanted to give up. I was working so hard to build my body and get some strength plus lose fat. And she did it in a month!! I figured she was on gear, especially when I heard her talk, but I was still frustrated by it. Sometimes I still get down by those types of people, cheaters. But I know that I am doing it the right way and can be proud of everything I achieveachieve, as my gains will be more honest and I can be proud of the fact I didn't have to cheat for my gains.

I find those stats unlikely within one month unless your definition of not much weight at all is pretty significant for a beginner.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Just keep up what you're doing. If you work hard and stay consistent you're going to be surprised by the amount of progress you make. It does take time but each session makes you better and stronger.

Are you keeping track of your progress? Some days I don't feel like I'm making any headway but when I look at it on paper (I keep a notebook) I can see that I have.
  • studiog608
    studiog608 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I find those stats unlikely within one month unless your definition of not much weight at all is pretty significant for a beginner.

Seriously, she made miraculous gains within a short period of time. Her first visit....she could barely make 5 reps with 35 pounds on each side of a seated bench press machine. At the end of the month, or a little after, 45 pound plate on each side with some dimes and nickels...same machine. Form on bench and squats was poor.....never went to chest on bench and no atg squats....almost parallel....but still, great gains....very deep voice.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Seriously, she made miraculous gains within a short period of time. Her first visit....she could barely make 5 reps with 35 pounds on each side of a seated bench press machine. At the end of the month, or a little after, 45 pound plate on each side with some dimes and nickels...same machine. Form on bench and squats was poor.....never went to chest on bench and no atg squats....almost parallel....but still, great gains....very deep voice.

So to clarify, we are not talking about actual bench press or squats?