Not getting sucked into the numbers

Options
About a month ago my trainer set a goal for me to lose 85lbs in 16 weeks. He was hyped about it, so was I. Things aren't working out. I think I have been so sucked into thinking I must lose 5 lbs a week, and trying to do every little thing right.
It has #1 made me crazy, and #2 seems to be holding me back from losing weight.

No more goals with dates for me. I'm going to just move along, count my calories, live life, and whatever happens on the scale happens.

Just a rant, sorry.

Replies

• karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Good for you! That is what will work for the long haul anyway. 5lbs a week is pretty quick! - slow and steady wins the prize. Otherwise you feel deprived and then eat it all back once you stop. It's really about a lifestyle change - not so much about the numbers and dates! Good Luck on your journey!
  • KittMahan
    KittMahan Posts: 106
    Options
    5 pounds per week is unhealthy, period. You should not take any advice from this person.

1 pound per week is very good.

Fitness and health are lifestyles, not numbers. If you wish to lose 85 pounds in a healthy way, use My Fitness Pal to set healthy goals for food and exercise, and pay less attention to the scale than you do to staying on track.

You'll get there, I promise :)
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I agree with you .. I really dont set long term goals... or if I do I make them so achievable for me.
    My weight is coming off...slowly and consistently ... just the way I like it!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Wow, took me 3 months to lose almost 10 lbs and I've been more than happy with that. Five pounds a week is pretty aggressive and hard to keep up with. Slow and steady wins the race...
  • Julijulz
    Julijulz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good strategy to me. If you know you've put in your best effort and only managed to lose 2-3 lbs in a week, there should be no reason you are penalizing yourself. I think that 85 lbs in 16 weeks is a very very large goal to attain. You should definitely give yourself a goal, but make it more reasonable. Having something to work towards helps us out in the long run. I would say 32 lbs in 16 weeks is reasonable. 2 lbs a week is a lot of weight to lose in that period of time. But you can do it! :)
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I think he assumed that with my starting weight, the pounds would just fly off with all the exercise he is making me do. My body appears to be very found of its fat.
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    I would question the validity of your trainer, that seems a bit excessive and indeed unhealthy. You are on the right track, stick to your plan and watch the results when they happen. I work in the fitness industry and know that there are some trainers you should look out for, especially if they are a body builder or fitness competitor. They do some crazy unhealthy dieting techniques and try to pass them onto their clients. Stick with trainers who are truly out there because they love fitness and want to help others succeed, not just to support their hobby.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Yikes!! Even I wouldn't try that and I had over 130lb to lose when I started (Im at around 85-90 now) That is unhealthy to do period.. 1-2lb a week is perfect!! I told my doctor when I had my physical that slow and steady wins the race.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Good for you and get another trainer. I have done 5 pounds a week but that was after a plateau of 2 weeks of nothing so it means nothing. It took 3 weeks to lose 5 pounds and that is healthy.
  • mikeorgan1955
    Options
    I don’t wish to be rude but I think you should get another trainer. 85lbs in 16 weeks is close to suicidal. More to the point your body will go into starvation mode and that will make it more difficult to lose weight. I had a stomach bypass (Roux-en-Y anastomosis) even with this I took 7 months to lose that amount of weight and I primarily did it to sort out my diabetes. 5lb a week is equivalent to 17500 calories. A person of normal weight would have to eat that amount in one week just to maintain their weight so what do you have left to eat maybe 1000 calories a day if you are extremely overweight. If that’s the case your body needs nutrients that you cannot possibly get from 1000 calories so it’s crazy. Go to a good Dietician and get good advice not a crazy trainer who doesn’t consider your circumstances. My experience with trainers was terrible until I happened across a French lady who made me understand that it wasn’t the food I was eating but the simple equation of food in/exercise taken. She made me take it easy and not expect too much too quickly. I now weigh 85kilos (187 pounds) but I need to shed the remaining 5kgs so I am making a final push for my target weight. Its not easy losing weight so why do you need to depress yourself in trying to attain the impossible. My advise if its of any use to you is make it a one week at a time target. Every week is a new diet so that way your weight will just disappear while you are concentrating on the next week instead of worrying about what you are going to weigh in 6 months. By the way I weighed 341 pounds 2.5 years ago and I have not pushed it just lost 50lbs at a time then took a little while for my body to stabilise then went again no pressure. Good luck and I hope you get where you want to be but not too fast otherwise you will just put it all back on again with interest (I know what that feels like).