Sumo deadlifts - butt

Options
Being on a deload week, I had a lot left in the tank after yesterday's deadlift session, so decided to give sumo deadlifts a try using those lighter weights. Was nice and warmed up and found it quite easy to get a nice low starting position and the lighter weights were easy enough to lift. But then I got on the treadmill for my cool down jogging intervals and boy could I feel it in my butt, to the point where I actually thought "ouchie". So I guess with my body type (short with short legs) sumo deadlifts work the glutes far more than conventional and it might be an idea to work them in to my accessory lifts on deadlift days?

Replies

• BhangraPrince
    BhangraPrince Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Good point
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I've also recently added Sumos to the mix. I do them as an accessory to Conventional on Legs day. I really like them as they hit the Hamstrings more and really emphasize "pushing through the floor"more so than Conventional.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I added (like a month or so ago) sumos in as an accessory after squats. Probably because I'm doing them on squat day, I haven't noticed my glutes getting any more work - but I can definitely feel it in my hammies and hips.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Sumo is my normal stance. I'm equally strong at both regular and conventional. I just prefer having to be patient off the floor rather than at lockout.

I don't really find that one style works glutes and hams more than the other.
  • studiog608
    studiog608 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I do sumo Deadlift style. Really works the glutes and hams.