Getting through intense cravings-

Options
I need suggestions on getting through cravings.
I have the exercising down to start at least. I speed walk 30 min a day and plan to add more variety later.

Right now I'm having a hard time with food. I get really bad cravings. I have low calorie snacks available but sometimes I feel I can't help from diving into bad foods late in the evening.

I haven't tried brushing my teeth yet but even if I did I feel I'd never stop thinking of that cheat snack.

Any suggestions??

Replies

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough protein and fiber in. That'll help curb the cravings a lot. - don't forget about lots of water.
  • SarahMacphail1
    SarahMacphail1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I try to factor a treat into my daily calories, even if it's only a few pieces of chocolate. That way if I want it I can have it and stay within my calorie limit.

I do avoid biscuits though since once I start...well the lot go lol.
  • SarahMacphail1
    SarahMacphail1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the longer I stick to eating well the less I want those sweet things anyway :)
  • Ck103084
    Ck103084 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    cebreisch wrote: »
    Make sure you're getting enough protein and fiber in. That'll help curb the cravings a lot. - don't forget about lots of water.

This! I can't believe how much the cravings went down when I started increasing my protein. Good luck!! :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat a bit of what you crave?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    This helps me. I go through the treat container, open the opened packages, and sniff the smells. I do this when I'm really stressed and trying to decide if I should say eff it and eat. Probably won't work for anyone else.
  • 4rainman
    4rainman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I need suggestions on getting through cravings.
    I have the exercising down to start at least. I speed walk 30 min a day and plan to add more variety later.

Right now I'm having a hard time with food. I get really bad cravings. I have low calorie snacks available but sometimes I feel I can't help from diving into bad foods late in the evening.

I haven't tried brushing my teeth yet but even if I did I feel I'd never stop thinking of that cheat snack.

Any suggestions??

I have the same issues with wanting to stuff my face before going to bed! Sorry, I have no solid advise except we just need to be more strong willed and make every effort not to eat. My goal is nothing after 8pm. I like your idea of brushing teeth which is the last thing I do before going to bed. So perhaps also going to bed earlier than we currently do???
  • ShaleSelkies
    ShaleSelkies Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    This helps me. I go through the treat container, open the opened packages, and sniff the smells. I do this when I'm really stressed and trying to decide if I should say eff it and eat. Probably won't work for anyone else.
    I do this too! Especially with dark chocolate a lot of the time its just satisfying enough to smell it for me (and the bar ends up lasting longer for when I actually really want some.)
    @Orphia is right though about deprivation diets, just try and fit what you want into your calorie goals and you should be fine! In terms of general hunger though you should make sure you're getting enough protein into your diet as well since it can help you feel more satisfied and its pretty important in general.
  • sybillabryson
    sybillabryson Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have some healthy alternatives that I try...like a couple nights ago I was dying for sour patch kids candy and we actually had some in the house. I ate two giant kiwis instead and i told myself that if i still wanted the candy after that i could have it but i didn't, the kiwi was just what my body wanted. Or I try peanut butter on an apple if I want something sweet and creamy, , whole wheat pita pizza if i need pizza and popcorn, pickles or olives instead of chips. If none of that works then i eat what i crave, I never tell myself "No, never" especially if my thoughts about it become obsessive (and i know strong cravings, because im pregnant). If you don't let yourself do that sometimes you will eventually binge eat or give up on eating well...at least that has been my experience.