Needing some advice

Options
I am wondering what everyone does to stay motivated. I always do good for the first month but then I stop and go back to my bad habits. I will take any and all suggestions.

Replies

• PSUgrl921
    PSUgrl921 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I do that too! I usually make it a little longer than a month and I will still try to check in every now and then but I get off track. My first piece of advice... join a group! They are a great source of support. There have been times when I have gotten off track and I've had a bunch of people message me saying "Where are you?" "hope everything is ok!" etc. I do the day by day challenge which I like because it's all about daily goals and making it through one day at a time. But find one that is great for you!
  • meltnice
    meltnice Posts: 10
    Options
    I find that if you do the same things over and over without changing up and exploring your possibilities, that is when you get bored and go back to your old ways. I try new activities, new foods, keep my support new and fresh because new people offer new advice for me to try! New foods gives you more foods to enjoy that are healthy! And new activities.... KEEP YOU ACTIVE or find something that you LOVE to do and works for you (like me and aqua aerobics/swimming). Many people do exercise just to do exercise. Not because they love it or it works for them. Then they become bored with it or resent it and stop it! Hope this helps!
  • charmednz
    charmednz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What keeps me motivated is taking pictures, I dont feel so good about myself right now and it helps to have a picture to really motivate yourself to continue. Sticking with this for a month is awesome, just take it day by day and do the best you can :)
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you doing? I definitely agree with a previous statement, I have keep changing it up. Finally figured out I am not a gym person and have found a love for running. Even with running though I cannot run the same area so I am also changing distance and places I run.

I am also going through an at home cardio program and have how it is always different and challenging to me. I never get bored.

Also agree that accountability is the key. I let all my friends know what my goals are and because of that they ask how I am doing. I also post things on Facebook and found if I have not posted anything in a few days I get messages asking what is going on.

Hang in there!
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I remember that a month ago I noticed that I couldn't push my wheelchair with feeling the wheel rub the side of my leg and rear end, a couple of time it even burned a little. I remember that a month ago I'd gotten to the point that I couldn't roll DOWNHILL easily (This should be very easy, no effort...it's called gravity, unless your butt is blocking the wheel from spinning freely). Then I remember that 15 years ago I was in my senior season as the starting power forward of a wheelchair basketball team that won 4 state titles and I averaged 43 minutes a game and wanted to play more because I loved the physical part....getting around the goal and getting rebounds. I remember that after basketball season I'd compete in a track and field season during the spring. I remember that I almost went to school in Illinois on wheelchair sports scholarships, but didn't want to leave my family in GA. That last part isn't bragging, it's just the truth...but so is the fact that a month ago I got winded bending over trying to pick a basketball up in the garage. NOW, I gotta go work out. I want to get where I can help coach in the league I played in in high school.
  • weeze_h
    weeze_h Posts: 72
    Options
    I have found that with my now healthy diet (or much healthier than what it was!) that if i splash out and have an indian (korma, the full on stuff!) or eat a bag of sweets (full bag, no portion measurements here) that i actually get a sore stomach the next day. that definatley spurs me on to not do it again!! (well until the next time!)