Creatine

Options
I've only recently learned about creatine and I'm about to buy some.
I'd be interested to hear when people take theirs and in which quantities. I'm an Olympic weightlifter so need to think about optimum timing etc. Also learning about what to do about carbs! There's so much to think about... grateful for any info. Happy new year.

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you dont have to take creatine at any specific time. just take it once a day. timing doesn't matter. Just get generic creatine, it doens't have to be fancy or expensive or flavored. and drink lots of water
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Generic creatine monohydrate. Other forms are alright, but monohydrate is cheapest and just as effective as the others. Easiest is to buy a big tub of powder that you can mix into a protein shake or pre-workout. I believe that technically it's taken by the body best with carbs, but honestly it doesn't matter much.

Take 5g once a day and enjoy. One thing to be aware of is that you can have a bit of a water weight bloat when you first take it.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I use the stuff from Creature: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T5QCLR0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What I like is that it's zero calorie, which is important while in a calorie deficit (which I am). And then if you're maintenance or bulking, just mix it with a protein shake. I get usually have two kinds of hand: flavored (usually Blue Raspberry) to drink, and then they make a plain, unflavored version which is nice for mixing with protein shakes.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend a good Creapure (purest form) Creatine like Optimum Nutrition. 5 gram/day & you can take it anytime of the day.
  • studiog608
    studiog608 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was told to take creatine after my workouts. But made me feel bad. And the pumps during workouts were a bit painful. I tried different brands, too. I quit taking it. Hope it works for you.

I tried Tribulus awhile back. It gave me gains in strength without the creatine side effects.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    From probably the most reliable, evidence-based supplement information site on the internet:

https://examine.com/nutrition/when-should-i-take-creatine/
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Been taking 5g of it per day for 2 months. No negative effects and don't know if it's helping w/lifting or not. Will see if there's any difference in my workouts after I run out in a couple more months.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    you dont have to take creatine at any specific time. just take it once a day. timing doesn't matter. Just get generic creatine, it doens't have to be fancy or expensive or flavored. and drink lots of water

This. Just a straight creatine monohydrate. I've had the best luck with a creapure brand. Allmax uses it and a few other companies. Just take 5g daily with juice, water, or post workout. It's a supplement that Is built up in your system through continued use. No single dose will make or break you. You may also notice a slight enhance in mental cognition after a continued use as well. Do not do a loading phase. All it does is speed up your uptake by a week or so and burns 3-4 weeks worth of creatine.

• stevesven
    stevesven Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    studiog608 wrote: »
    I was told to take creatine after my workouts. But made me feel bad. And the pumps during workouts were a bit painful. I tried different brands, too. I quit taking it. Hope it works for you.

I tried Tribulus awhile back. It gave me gains in strength without the creatine side effects.

Probably dehydrated you
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    studiog608 wrote: »

The creatine had no effect on your pumps if it was a single dose if at all. Creatine affects your skeletal muscular ATP levels which are an energy form used during muscular contracts. When you run out of atp you lose your ability to continue with heavy contractions until your muscles regain a sufficient amount to continue. Creatine effectively increases your total level of available ATP in your muscles. Resulting in extended sets and increased strength. It isn't however a vasodilator.

If it made you sick it was likely it wasn't fully dissolved at the time of consumption, resulting in water being pulled into your intestines.