GPS watch for hiking that will synch with MFP

Options
Looking for a GPS watch to use while hiking so I don't have to use my phone. Would like something that would record all the same things as MFP and sync at a later time, including track and elevation. Would be a plus if I could pair it with my Polar HRM.

Thanks!

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Garmin vivoactive with or without HR.

Also, I prefer the Wahoo HRM.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any Suunto or Garmin devices that have got enough battery life for the duration of your typical sessions.

Don't bother with an HRM, it's meaningless in the range that you're talking about.
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Tomtom spark cardio or Tomtom adventurer

• dervari
    dervari Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any Suunto or Garmin devices that have got enough battery life for the duration of your typical sessions.

So these devices would be able to record my GPS track and elevation while synchronizing both with map my fitness at a later time? A map and elevation profile of a hike is absolutely essential.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    My Vivoactive tracks hikes with a map and elevation, the elevation is recorded through GPS, but the battery will die if I try to use it all afternoon. The Epix will display maps right on the screen in addition to a longer battery life and a compass, altimeter, and barometer. I have had my eye on a Fenix 3 for tracking more types of activities, getting a longer battery life, and the ABC compass since I sometimes get turned around out hiking. Garmin devices sync with MFP and Strava. I don't think they sync with Map My Fitness.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    dervari wrote: »

So these devices would be able to record my GPS track and elevation while synchronizing both with map my fitness at a later time? A map and elevation profile of a hike is absolutely essential.

Yes. Both Garmin and Suunto can integrate. That's why I've identified then as an answer to your question
  • batman12
    batman12 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Under Armor, MyFitnessPal's parent company, makes the UA band. It syncs with MapMyFitness and MyFitnessPal I am assuming that would be a great option since it is virtually guaranteed to maintain compatibility with MFP through software/platform changes. You may want to Google reviews for it.

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/ua-band/pid1289818-001
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Also have a Vivoactive HR. I like it and it is good for outdoor walks. Have not hiked with it yet but may snowshoe with it over the holidays.

I will not sync with your Polar chest strap. I have an H7 and they don't talk to each other.
  • dervari
    dervari Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    batman12 wrote: »
    Under Armor, MyFitnessPal's parent company, makes the UA band. It syncs with MapMyFitness and MyFitnessPal I am assuming that would be a great option since it is virtually guaranteed to maintain compatibility with MFP through software/platform changes. You may want to Google reviews for it.

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/ua-band/pid1289818-001

Unfortunately, no GPS. :(
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Eyeing the Fenix3 myself.. Would love the ability to upload base maps. I have a 920XT. Mapmyrun and MFP can be set to pull data from garmin connect (in fact every major activity tracking site that I know of can be setup to automatically pull data from garmin server). I don't think Suunto is compatible with as many sites.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add... I don't believe the garmin devices can use the Polar HRM.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Polar don't play in the integration space, their devices that can communicate with mobile phones don't do it in a way that interacts with other software.

As upthread, for walking HR is a meaningless metric anyway.

Garmin and Suunto all come with an option on an HR sensor anyway.

The main criterion becomes duration, which is why I wouldn't recommend the TomTom or Polar devices. Battery life, and on the fly charging, is a key capability that neither of them can do.
  • squarewheels66
    squarewheels66 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you want full function GPS as well as tracking, you can pair an Garmin HRM chest strap with a Garmin handheld GPS (like a 64st) and upload the data file to Garmin Connect - this can be set up to read across to MFP

I use a Forerunner 230 for my running and don't bother setting it up for walks - the step counter seems to work OK for walking calories. Has a very good battery life too
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    If the issue with the phone is battery life, then consider getting an external battery pack. My Jackery external USB charger is lightweight, cost under 20 dollars, and will recharge my phone almost twice. It can charge while in use. If you hike alone on trails that don't get a lot of traffic, then you should carry extra power for your phone anyway.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I use my garmin forerunner 15 to track my hikes. The battery life is only about 5-6 hours though and it can't be used when it is being charged. The more expensive models can be, if you had a battery pack.
    Mine does the job though, but I normally upload the gpx file to Strava manually. Today, I used Garmin Express, which then uploads to Strava and then to here automatically. However, it brought the hike in as a run and the calories are 3 times higher than what my watch says.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Forgot to add... I don't believe the garmin devices can use the Polar HRM.

This is correct. Have a Polar H& and it won't talk to my Garmin VivoActive.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    dervari wrote: »

Yes it looks like this:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1387292588 (hiking)
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1507282693 (skiing)
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1198511298 (cycling)