Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is for Losers.

Options
Now now, don't get up in arms. I am a weight loser and I want to get into BJJ. Being told I couldn't because I was too big is motivating me to lose enough that I can.

Read my post here:

http://www.businessoflosingweight.com/losingweight/brazilian-jiu-jitsu/

I am hoping to lose about 25 more pounds before hitting the local BJJ gym. Anyone else training in BJJ already?

Replies

• mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    i dabble in it... i'm more BJJ oriented than any other type of martial arts... a little boxing here and there to have decent standing game... get into boxing...it really is an awesome workout...great cardio! and if you ever get into MMA as a sport it'll come in handy... gotta be well rounded :)

edit: i was ready to yell via MFP at you for bashing on BJJ....then I read the post lol... all is well now haha
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I don't but the man I'm dating has been for years. His current weight is 205 and he recently lost 35 pounds. Don't let your weight stop you from doing something you want to do. Go ahead and start...your muscles will thank you and when the fat is melting off...what's underneath will be smoking!
  • hankhanna
    hankhanna Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    edit: i was ready to yell via MFP at you for bashing on BJJ....then I read the post lol... all is well now haha

I figured it would raise some fuss :)
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    alex215 does it. You should PM him or add him to your friends list. He's a cool person.
  • scottfagan
    scottfagan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started training BJJ July 7, 2007. I was a complete couch potato and weighed 299 lbs @ 5'9" at age 36. I train 4 days a week and since then I also run, bike and play some sports with my kids. I'm now 215 lbs and I have achieved the rank of purple belt recently. Last summer I won first palce as a blue belt in a tournament. Don't listen to anyone that says you can't do it...if i can do it, anyone can do it. Look for a Gracie Barra affiliated school...strong curriculum and they take the safety of the student very seriously.
  • kmrodger
    Options
    i do it 3 times a week. it's a fantastic workout and if you can learn a little bit of wrestling, a great self defense tool. there are a few guys at the gym i'm training at that are well over 250 lbs but they still do it and a lot of them have committed themselves to not relying on their weight to win when rolling.
  • leney
    leney Posts: 5
    Options
    I've been doing BJJ (gi & no gi) for about 3 years. I have to say it is probably the most fun workout for me. I've only recently been serious doing gi (except i've been off for a lil over a month because of other reasons) and I'm a white belt (3 stripes) I started out probably weighing about 200 lbs in the beginning of starting BJJ at my lightest I got to 153. I'm at 167 right now but not planning on staying here any longer. I used to do boxing for fun and started incorporating that into my BJJ workouts. I also found that strength and conditioning classes really help. Good luck getting to your goal. I don't think it matters what weight you are as long as you find a good partner you can roll with and it helps to have decent cardio. :happy: