Food Sensitivities - What can I eat?

Options
I recently got tested for food sensitivities and I need to eliminate peanuts, barley, milk, corn, peas, plums and wheat from my diet. My previous diet consisted of bagels and peanut butter for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, pasta for supper and popcorn as a snack. I'm stumped for ideas and need some help with meal ideas. I know I need to incorporate more fruits and veggies into my diet. I don't want any fad diet recommendations. My goal this year is more whole unprocessed foods. Less junk. Can anyone point me in the direction of some good sites for recipes etc.

Replies

• Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this will help, but since people who are Celiac very often develop a dairy sensitivity also (have 4 in my family) many of the gluten free foods are also dairy/egg/nut free. You have to of course read the labels, but many brands are.

Proteins, veggies and fruit will be your friend! Something like stuffed bell peppers are a great meal and can fit in your restrictions!
  • TabiScha
    TabiScha Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks. It's funny because I don't have a sensitivity to gluten but my naturopath told me that gluten free would be the easiest way to eliminate wheat, I'd just need to watch for corn as an ingredient.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It will also help eliminate barley also, so it will be a very effective option for you! I don't eat gluten free so I can't speak to the corn free options as I know that can be a grain used to substitute in some gluten free foods
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    A registered dietitian could help you
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free and try to keep milk to a minimum. Rice noodles or some variation for pasta dishes. There's asian noodles that are I think made from a bean sprout?They're (rice noodles) more fragile than regular but I don't mind it and can't taste the difference. Live G Free bread is the best gluten free bread imo and udis coming in second. Unsweetened almond milk.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    TabiScha wrote: »
    I recently got tested for food sensitivities and I need to eliminate peanuts, barley, milk, corn, peas, plums and wheat from my diet. My previous diet consisted of bagels and peanut butter for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, pasta for supper and popcorn as a snack. I'm stumped for ideas and need some help with meal ideas. I know I need to incorporate more fruits and veggies into my diet. I don't want any fad diet recommendations. My goal this year is more whole unprocessed foods. Less junk. Can anyone point me in the direction of some good sites for recipes etc.

Check out the brand Food for Life. They have gluten-free breads that will fit your needs.

http://www.foodforlife.com/product/breads/gluten-free-white-rice-bread

I've never tried them. I would recommend Udi's, who make good breads, but all of theirs contain maltodextrin (corn).

For pasta, there is brown rice pasta. Some quinoa pastas contain corn so read the labels.

You're out of luck on the popcorn though.

• CanadianMissy
    CanadianMissy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I also do not eat wheat. If you google either "primal" or "paleo" recipes you will find that not only do they not contain grains (wheat and barley in your case), they're also whole foods ingredients. Paleo also does not include dairy or legumes - hence, peanuts.

Here are a few sites:

Marksdailyapple.com
    Paleomg.com (I find her immature and annoying but her recipes are good)

There's a few to start with! Good luck!
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I would see a qualified dietician. How were you tested? I'm not sure how naturopaths are trained - not being critical,just saying I would want those results verified.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Ps and you can eliminate wheat without having to eliminate gluten - the fodmap diet is wheat free (though it's not designed to stay on forever)and you're allowed oats for example.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has really good (in my opinion) gluten free bagels in their bread section. Maybe try those with sunflower-seed butter to replace your usual breakfast?
  • TabiScha
    Options
    I would see a qualified dietician. How were you tested? I'm not sure how naturopaths are trained - not being critical,just saying I would want those results verified.

She sent a blood samples off to a lab. I've seen dieticians before and the ones near me seem to only stick with Canada Food Guide which doesn't take into account my food sensitivities. I'm making plans to meet with a nutritionist too
  • urfunnygma
    urfunnygma Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if a new appliance is in your budget? I have a weird combo of food allergies also and also need to eat a GF whole foods diet. One thing I have found helpful in doing so is the INSTAPOT. It is a pressure cooker, rice steamer, crockpot - all in one. Some models can brown meat and also have a yogurt setting. I thought there was no way I would use it as much as I do but it as I desperately needed help - I was so hungry!! This thing is amazing! Go on Pinterest, go on YouTube, go online. The possibilities are endless. It makes low-fat cooking easy with the steaming capabilities. It makes whole food cooking a snap with the pressure cooking! It's done in no time! I learned how to cook for my new way of eating with all of the recipes available to me.
  • sammama5
    sammama5 Posts: 92 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I don't have any different suggestions than you already got, but did want to give you a word of encouragement. Was it Mediator Release Testing that you had done? My daughter had that test done several years ago, and avoiding those foods helped make life bearable for us! She is the youngest of 5, and was almost 3 at the time. She mostly had extreme eczema issues, but also some stomach problems and such that she couldn't tell me about. She is now 7, and rarely has any eczema flareups since we eat at home 95% of the time.
    The change in your diet (meaning consumption) will be hard, but very beneficial!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Ps and you can eliminate wheat without having to eliminate gluten - the fodmap diet is wheat free (though it's not designed to stay on forever)and you're allowed oats for example.

Oats are gluten free. Some people with celiac avoid them because they fear cross contamination in the fields they are grown in, but I have never had a problem.

OP, wild rice and Quinoa are good grains. You do not have to eat bread. I do occasionally, but a loaf lasts me six weeks or so. Enjoy Life brand foods are quite allergy safe, though you may need to check for plums. I have celiac and several other food allergies. You can do this, but it will be time consuming at first.
  • TabiScha
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and advice everyone. I think once I get started on making different food choices and reading labels that things will get easier. It'll just be a time consuming process at the start.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    My family is quite the mashup- I have a long list of food allergies including tree nuts and cheeses to name a few and my husband and daughter are allergic to wheat(not gluten) but can tolerate Einkorn. Einkorn is the most ancient form of wheat and completely unhybridized. I treat it as whole wheat to substitute in recipesbut need to add rice flour because it is to sticky to use just by itself. I also love using oats and grind them at home and make waffles from a basic baked oatmeal recipe, I add banana, or pumpkin what ever fruit I have on hand -you need to add an extra egg though to bind the oats. The waffles can be frozen and provide an out the door breakfast for my daughter to eat on her way to school. She also recently discovered Kefir and that has been an excellent beverage for her lunch and for breakfast. Her favorite lunch at the moment is lettuce wraps and my husband loves them so much he often has BLT wraps for breakfast. William Sonoma and Bon Appetite have many wonderful well written recipes on their sites. The comment sections often have suggestions to make the foods with alternatives for gf and dairy free but they use real food for ingredients and may be a good place to start.
  • Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Almond butter tastes great. You can eat it with apple slices. As others have mentioned, rice and quinoa might work well for you. Try looking up fried rice recipes on Pinterest - there are lots of yummy ones! Chicken or beef stir-fried with veggies can also be good.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe for banana chocolate hip muffins which are made with oats and Enjoy Life chocolate chips (dairy free) The recipe is GF, dairy free, and egg free. Also surprisingly good! Let me know if you'd like it and I'll post it for you.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    How sensitive are your sensitivities? I have several and I'll give in and eat them knowing that I will just have to deal with the result. although I do try to stay away from soy since that's the most uncomfortable reaction.

But you could try a different kind of nut butter on perhaps rice cakes? Check out the speciality aisle in the grocery store there is so much gluten free and whatnot available nowadays and READ labels. Makes shopping longer but it's worth it